The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

One More Shutout For Roberto Luongo...

Tank Hankerous

It's obvious that Luongo>>Schneids when they are at their best.. but at this point it is tough not to question who would you rather keep...

Luongo has that ability to carry an entire team on his back for an extended period of time and is an all-star but his consistency in the past few years has been iffy.. I don't really blame him for some of the team meltdowns but at some times it looks like he looks below average. His age is relatively high and his contract is definitely something to think about... His cap-hit is good for an elite goaltender but the length is still an issue.

Whereas Schneider has been very consistent in the past 2 years with Vezina consideration worthy numbers. Sure he hasn't played as much and still not very proven as a starter.. but he was able to be a dominant force in the stretch of consecutive starts for him earlier in the season.. and sometimes, being able to play a solid game after sitting for a while shows your ability and composure. Schneider is also younger who should get a more favorable contract next year than Luongo's.

I think with a team like ours, a consistent goalie who will give a bit more cap space is better than one that can carry the team on his shoulders but also look very average at some moments..

I'm a Luongo supporter but IMO it would be slightly better to keep Schneids.. of course it still depends on what we could get from trading either one.. and also hoping Luongo can prove me wrong in the next little while

Luo is having a renaissance year.

He and Rolly have managed his glove hand position into being effective once again.

Luo was also showing some real confidence playing the puck,which was never his strong point in the past.

If Gillis can trade Cory for a true #1 d man in the off season this team has a greater chance to win a cup.

One game does not a season make.

For goalies with more than 2o games played, he is still 18th in GAA, and 15th in save %. His partner is 2nd in save %, and 5th in GAA - playing in front of the same team. That makes Lou an average goalie, at best. No reason not to trade a very average goalie, if he would give us the chance, but he has an NTC - at least for now.

just think all he needs is 2 cup rings and he can be like Roy and not have to listen to anyone because they are plugging his ears...

he is elite and will be for a few more years my money is as long as he is a nuck he will have no problem being #1 in almost all categories by the time he retires

I have absolute faith in Luongo, but he has played awful lot of hockey in his career. Wow those numbers are shocking given he isn't THAT old now. I think if we go deep in the playoffs again, we need to sign Schneids for one more year of his Restricted Free Agency and play him a lot next year. We need Luongo fresh again next year come this time.

Then again, if Lu tanks in the playoffs again, I could see the universe calling for a Luongo trade... Man, if he's really traded, I hope Schneids can handle the Vancouver media as well as Lu. (And no, his post-game interviews as a back up doesn't count.)

Wonder how far ahead he'd be in the record books if he hadn't had to play those early years with a crappy Florida team

He has more pressure on him than most other players in the NHL. Great to see that he's found a way to cope with it and thrive in that kind of environment.

So someone who disagree's with you is now a band-waggoner? Whatever happened to voicing your opinion?

What if it's a simple matter of if he waived his NTC we'd get a possible great return for him? Far greater than Schneids might get.

Say we win the cup. In the offseason we start talking trade with Tampa. Yzerman says no you can't have Hedman for Schneider. But if you make it Luongo he'd give us Hedman and Connolly and a 2nd rounder. You'd just outright refuse?

If the deal is a good one, you have to explore all avenues to improve your team. I'm not saying actively move the guy, but if we're getting garbage offers for Schneider, but someone gives us a great deal for Lu, and it all hinges on Lu being willing to move, you have to be open to that.

You can point out the flaws in wanting Luongo traded, but you should respect the person more than just slapping a band wagon title on the person, just because they might want to go with a younger player doesn't make them wrong. I understand that you can be upset Luongo doesn't get the respect in this market he deserves, and he gets blamed at times when his defense clearly let him down. But sometimes people have a different opinion. That doesn't make them have less hockey sense.

/rant

One game does not a season make.

For goalies with more than 2o games played, he is still 18th in GAA, and 15th in save %. His partner is 2nd in save %, and 5th in GAA - playing in front of the same team. That makes Lou an average goalie, at best. No reason not to trade a very average goalie, if he would give us the chance, but he has an NTC - at least for now.

As a goaltender, you need more games to prepare and tune yourself for hyper intensive playoff games. He just got in game shape before the team did because he started sooner. I expect the entire team to start playing better and finish the season on a high note to get ready for the round 1. Hoping Daniel can come back soon also.

Archived