The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ndp Leader Adrian Dix Caught Without Ticket On Skytrain

DonLever

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-no-ticket.html

Adrian Dix was caught without a ticket on the Skytrain a few weeks ago but only got a warning.

He claimed he lost his ticket.

I have no trouble with that excuse but are warnings common on the Skytrain Station if you don't have a ticket? Suppose I don't have a ticket tomorrow, what are my chances of getting a fine?

I think he DID forget it. He goes on the skytrain daily, his office is near my house. And I often see him around. I honestly think he lost it and next time he will KEEP it in his wallet and not a side pocket.

I lose stuff all the time with side pockets. But ever since I have had my pass in my wallet I've been good with it :D

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-no-ticket.html

Adrian Dix was caught without a ticket on the Skytrain a few weeks ago but only got a warning.

He claimed he lost his ticket.

I have no trouble with that excuse but are warnings common on the Skytrain Station if you don't have a ticket? Suppose I don't have a ticket tomorrow, what are my chances of getting a fine?

I was on the Canada Line a couple of weeks ago and there was a transit cop going down the train checking tickets. I don't live in Vancouver anymore, so I don't know if this is already common or not, but it was a first for me. The transit cop caught these two guys without tickets and they only got a warning. No names taken down or anything.

That being said, I think it depends on the situation and who's in charge. Going to a game last year, I took the Skytrain down to Rogers Arena. Commercial Drive, the station from which I left, had transit cops and some VPD officers on the platform near the escalators (if you're familiar with this station, you'll know that you can't see the platform clearly from the station's south entrance). As soon as I got up there, one of the cops grabbed me (I kid you not, hands behind my back) for not showing my ticket to the transit police. I told him that I actually did have one, pulled it out, and continued on my way. There was a kid who had the same thing happen to him a few seconds later, except that he didn't have a ticket. I was there long enough to hear the police taking down his details, but I have no idea whether this led up to his being charged or simply given a warning.

As you can see, these two denominations of police have certain powers and certain extents to which they can exercise them. If you ask me, regular cops exercise them too much, traffic cops too little. However, with the implementation of turnstiles, the list of responsibilities for both will shorten since they won't have to hound each and every person to see whether or not they paid.

best part was on the news, he admitted to having multiple speeding tickets in the past as well. (which he said he paid, but still. you're trying to make yourself look better, not worse, you ninny).

I had forgotten to put my new months bus pass in, but I had the two previous months, so the officer let me off with a warning. I think warnings are quite common if you sound honest, speak reasonably, stay calm etc.

Edit : I should also mention it was like november 1st or october 1st i forget

It's a joke how they treat Canadians sometimes. You know, the people that pay government wages. And if you're paying taxes and you mention that any government official will just laugh it off. But I bet they weren't laughing about it when they applied for that job were they? There should be some program in place, where any arm of the government, working with the public show due respect. This should be made clear when someone is being hired for a government position. It's called customer service.

A couple quick example - Stanley Park: a friend and I were kicking a soccer ball on the cricket field(not far from the totems) when two park workers drove up on us "gang style" and started shouting from their utility truck. Turns out there was a "stay off" sign that wasnt clearly visible from where my friend and I were. The way the park workers drove up on us and started ripping into our intelligence was close to fight provoking. But my friend and I walked away. I later called the park supervisor and explained if that's where my tax money is going I'm going to be writing a letter soon. The supervisor assured me that it wouldn't happen again.

As far as the sky train goes. I rarely take it. My grandmother was visiting and I had to go to coquitlam to visit( hadn't seen her in years) so I was a little excited. Happened to overlook the fact my ticket was a "one zone" instead of a "three zone". I was pulled off the train and basically lectured for about 10 minutes and shown the proper rule postings. A cool 70$ ticket later and I was on my way again. I was shocked at the audacity the guy had to ask me if I was stupid. It's not even like I had failed to purchase a ticket, but that I had failed to upgrade it after having taken the bus downtown.

The only bone I can throw these people, is that they deal with the public and its not easy. But considering the money they make, with benefits for life, off the same people they treat with such disrespect. It's hard to even throw them that bone! These government jobs pay their employees just about as good as a hotels pays. You know what kind of service you get in a hotel? Yeah exactly.

Archived