The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev Comparisons

Luwongo

As is typical for many fans to do, we compare young players to older more established players who we can see them turning out to be like. Every time Tanev was on the ice it bothered me so much I couldn't find the right player to compare him to, but I knew there was one. Finally, after seeing him play beside Hamhuis the last few games I realized he is a Dan hamhuis in the making. He's not an overly physical big defender, but a strong skater, who rarely gets flustered, makes a strong/quick first pass, has hockey smarts/IQ when it comes to defending and positioning, I'm loving the move by AV to place Hamhuis/Tanev together. Let him mentor the kid the right way. What does the rest of CDC think? Thanks.

I think Hamhuis plays more physical than Tanev by quite a bit and also has better stick checking.

However, I think there's a great comparison on our roster: Sami Salo.

Smart, calming presences who are rarely rattled or making mistakes under offensive pressure. Also, both right handed shots.

Sami Salo has a much better shot, but Tanev seems to make a better first pass out of the zone and rolls off checks a bit better.

I think Hamhuis plays more physical than Tanev by quite a bit and also has better stick checking. However, I think there's a great comparison on our roster: Sami Salo. Smart, calming presences who are rarely rattled or making mistakes under offensive pressure. Also, both right handed shots. Sami Salo has a much better shot, but Tanev seems to make a better first pass out of the zone and rolls off checks a bit better.

Lol, After Tanev put on ten pounds of muscle this year, he still is 25 lbs lighter than Hamhuis. Nor have I seen him make a hit this year? :rolleyes: Hamhuis is a very capable physical defender, even if not the size of Weber. That side of things is not a good comparison.

But Tanev does handle the puck, move it and control the play... Very impressive.

As is typical for many fans to do, we compare young players to older more established players who we can see them turning out to be like. Every time Tanev was on the ice it bothered me so much I couldn't find the right player to compare him to, but I knew there was one. Finally, after seeing him play beside Hamhuis the last few games I realized he is a Dan hamhuis in the making. He's not an overly physical big defender, but a strong skater, who rarely gets flustered, makes a strong/quick first pass, has hockey smarts/IQ when it comes to defending and positioning, I'm loving the move by AV to place Hamhuis/Tanev together. Let him mentor the kid the right way. What does the rest of CDC think? Thanks.

I know he was drafted before Luc; but Edler sort of came on and took a roster spot many thought Bourdon was going to get because he was a touted first rounder.

You could count Edler as our last, best D prospect?

Yea, agreed Sami would be a good comparison.

So stoked for this kid, we havent had a solid

d prospect since Luc. (R.I.P.)

Lol, After Tanev put on ten pounds of muscle this year, he still is 25 lbs lighter than Hamhuis. Nor have I seen him make a hit this year? :rolleyes: Hamhuis is a very capable physical defender, even if not the size of Weber. That side of things is not a good comparison.

But Tanev does handle the puck, move it and control the play... Very impressive.

I think defensively he most resembles Salo.

He has great positioning and he makes smart plays to clear the zone.

Since they both shoot right and have a similar frame (and my vision isn't all that great) I'm constantly getting the two of them mixed up.

The comparison I make with Tanev is Keith Yandle from Phoenix. Yandle is only 3 years older and took a few seasons to become more offensive. They are both 6 ft 2 in and weigh very similar with Tanev having about 5 lbs on Yandle. But to me they skate very similar as taller, more lanky guys but are calm with the puck and good with their sticks and passing the puck up or skating it out.

Give Tanev a few more good years and I see him developing his offenseive abilities more, and becoming a good young, offensive defenseman like a Keith Yandle.

I think Hamhuis plays more physical than Tanev by quite a bit and also has better stick checking.

However, I think there's a great comparison on our roster: Sami Salo.

Smart, calming presences who are rarely rattled or making mistakes under offensive pressure. Also, both right handed shots.

Sami Salo has a much better shot, but Tanev seems to make a better first pass out of the zone and rolls off checks a bit better.

Hitting and being hit can take a lot out of you physically. No sssh--t, I hear you say.

Obviously CT can't do much about being hit but I'm sure he along with most of the team are subconsciously rationing their hits until the playoffs. The best hitter we had was Volpatti and look what happened to him.

So I'm not too worried about how much CT is hitting just now, I would rather he was fit for the playoffs.

As for playing partners, I honestly think come the playoffs we need to spread our safe hands down the line. For that reason I would put Bieksa back with Hamhuis, Edler with Sami and Ballard with Tanev.

If Sami needs a rest I would move Tanev up and play Ballard with Rome/Alberts/ MAG. Although none of these combos would play them on their natural side which was my big complaint about why Ballard didn't function properly until recently.

I'd compare him to Jay-Z, because he's a mf-ing p i m p on the ice.

Also, mabye Matty Ohlund, just because he's so calm on the ice. I can't remember such a young prospect with such a good first pass, and such good instincts. Looking forward to seeing how he plays in the playoffs with a more central role.

Archived