The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev Comparisons

Luwongo

What's the point of comparing him to Salo if he is not even close in some important aspects (especially the shot/offensive prowess)?

Silent, defensive defenseman with a good first pass, but makes few mistakes. Mediocre or adequate other skills early on in his career (will improve, I'm sure).

Not sure who would match that really closely.

Lol, After Tanev put on ten pounds of muscle this year, he still is 25 lbs lighter than Hamhuis. Nor have I seen him make a hit this year? :rolleyes: Hamhuis is a very capable physical defender, even if not the size of Weber. That side of things is not a good comparison.

But Tanev does handle the puck, move it and control the play... Very impressive.

As is typical for many fans to do, we compare young players to older more established players who we can see them turning out to be like. Every time Tanev was on the ice it bothered me so much I couldn't find the right player to compare him to, but I knew there was one. Finally, after seeing him play beside Hamhuis the last few games I realized he is a Dan hamhuis in the making. He's not an overly physical big defender, but a strong skater, who rarely gets flustered, makes a strong/quick first pass, has hockey smarts/IQ when it comes to defending and positioning, I'm loving the move by AV to place Hamhuis/Tanev together. Let him mentor the kid the right way. What does the rest of CDC think? Thanks.

To me he plays a bit like Lidstrom. Obviously not as good but same style. Very smart at reading the play, rarely if ever checks a player, rather his positioning always causes the opposition to give it right to him. If only his offence could catch up to Lidstrom, even half way would be great.

Duncan Kieth! :sick:

Tanev is a beaut! But will never rush the puck & control the play like a perennial Norris candidate, possible playoff MVP type guy.

I know this is goin to get some ppl mad on here after what he did but I think we have an up and coming Duncan keith with Tanev just without the cheapshot to start players

just my two cents they seem to skate the exact same way, Keith is obviosly more physical but in time Tanev will be too.

Ok, Ok, (and its not a bad hit either :rolleyes: )

But he's also on NHL.com records with a whopping 9 hits all year. And 2 career penalty minutes :bigblush: .

http://video.canucks...86&event=MIN616

Tanev plays like Salo in the defensive zone, but has no confidence in his shot. Very rarely have I seen him take even a wrist shot on het, and never a slapshot. If he can get a better slapshot, he'll be dynamite.

Guys, in this post we have comparisons to Nick Lidstrom, Duncan Kieth, Dan Girardi, Kieth Yandle... Give your head a shake! :picard::sadno:

Enjoy Tanev for what he is; a freak anomoly of efficiency. He is the guy who is small (185 lbs, btw he did spend last summer like CoHo with Gary Roberts to put on 10 of those lbs), and not particularly fast. And (as bad as it sounds to say) he is nothing exciting in terms of talents. He has no booming shot, breakout speed, ability to rush the puck, certainly no beastly ability to move guys from in front of the net... It's why he was not drafted. What he is, is a guy who simply confounds everybody by always being in the right position, playing within himself, has a quirky innate ability to read plays, gets to the right spot first and makes the right play quickly. He does not make mistakes trying to make plays he's not capable of. This does make him a highly effective role player for us.

He is one of the smartest players we have seen in a long time, and good for him!

But there is NOTHING to put him in the league of these guys.

And CDC'ers be warned. If I was Joel Quennsville, Dustin Byfuglien (or some other big ugly bastard) would be in front of the net EVERY single time he was on the ice. Coaches (other than AV, who sticks to his game plan) notice these things quickly in a seven game series, where they could not be bothered in the regular season. It's also only a matter of time ...

• 1 month later...

I was also very curious about 'Tanev comparisons', so I did a little research. I came to the following conclusions by looking only at advanced stats (for 2011-12 reg season) (Corsi, quality of competition, zone starts etc - NOT goals, assists etc).

Conclusion: Tanev is the 'real' beast. Seriously.

In a sample size of 237 NHL defensemen, there's currently no other other guy used in the same way. Tanev technically plays bottom 6 minutes, but plays tougher minutes than most top 4 defensemen.

- He ranks 24th in league w/ defensive zone start (similar to Malhotra) - yet has the 21st best corsi.

Meaning, although he starts in the d-zone more than most defensemen (generally leads to horrible Corsi), his team outshoots the opponent with him on the ice at a rate better than 204 other defensemen.

- Although he plays fewer mins than most, he plays against tougher competition than Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Myers, Schenn, Wideman, and Staal (to name a few - there's many more).

- Prorated over a 82 gm season, Tanev would be on the ice for 26 'goals against', and 52 'goals for' at even strength. These 'defensive' numbers are almost 3x better than Edlers, and 'offensively' the exact same. Yes, kid you not.

Comparison wise, his underlying numbers are most similar to Willie Mitchell. Of course there are other things to consider that I haven't quantified (like TOI). But it's a fact that Tanev plays 'tough minutes' and excels at a rate better than most with his mins. I think he's more than ready for top 4 mins.

He played solid hockey w/ Hammer, but should play with Edler. Tanev would stabilize Edlers 'defensive issues' and allow him to move the puck up ice and into the o-zone to create scoring chances (something that Edler really struggles with).

Tanev for MVP! :)

I would say Johnny Oduya. Mobile, non-physical stay-at-home defenseman who can log in the low 20s and is a solid second pairing guy.

Scouting Report

Assets

• Is a great skater with the instincts to limit the damage to a minimum in the defensive zone. Owns an infectious attitude and is a solid teammate. Can occasionally play a shutdown role.

Flaws

• Isn't a major offensive threat, nor is he big by National Hockey League standards. Also lacks the temperament to play with physical aggression on a consistent basis. Lacks consistency.

Career Potential

• Mobile defensive defenseman.

• Awards

Archived