Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Luongo, Schneider, Lack

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 Niners70

Niners70

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

Long gone are the goalie grave yard days. I for one cannot wait to see what we fetch for Schneider. We are going to get some excellent pieces. And then I cannot wait to read how many people on here throw Luongo under the bus when Lack becomes the back up who could be a number 1 anywhere in the league? All the while still wearing my Luongo Jersey proudly, watching this Canatta kid we just signed light it up in Chicago. Who will be the next Schneider, or do I mean Lack. And 5-7 years from now, Luongo will then and only then be long in the tooth, and will hand the reigns over to this kid. Maybe ...:)

At that point we will all look back and see how Luongo has been instrumental in developing Schneider, Lack and Canatta. Who in turn push Luongo to stay at the top of his game. We might even thank him for the many high end prospects we are going to get through trading Schneider and Lack. Prospects who may end up being centre pieces of our system ? A system that never has to be blown up and start over. Thanks Luongo I'll always have your back Paisano !

#2 Dak72

Dak72

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Long gone are the goalie grave yard days. I for one cannot wait to see what we fetch for Schneider. We are going to get some excellent pieces. And then I cannot wait to read how many people on here throw Luongo under the bus when Lack becomes the back up who could be a number 1 anywhere in the league? All the while still wearing my Luongo Jersey proudly, watching this Canatta kid we just signed light it up in Chicago. Who will be the next Schneider, or do I mean Lack. And 5-7 years from now, Luongo will then and only then be long in the tooth, and will hand the reigns over to this kid. Maybe ... :)

At that point we will all look back and see how Luongo has been instrumental in developing Schneider, Lack and Canatta. Who in turn push Luongo to stay at the top of his game. We might even thank him for the many high end prospects we are going to get through trading Schneider and Lack. Prospects who may end up being centre pieces of our system ? A system that never has to be blown up and start over. Thanks Luongo I'll always have your back Paisano !

Good post...I'd replace "instrumental" with "mentoring" though. Not enough praise goes to MG and his team for basically building up/strengthening the infastructure of this franchise that will, and already has, pay off for years to come. I'm also very interested to see how MG plays the "Schneider" card this summer. Could be a very important chess move in how the "game" progresses over the next 2-3yrs.

#3 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

I strongly believe MG has put in the right development plans and infrastructure for the Nucks to have a great ystem of prospects for years to come.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#4 40DollarOnion

40DollarOnion

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

I don't believe "Lighting it up" is a good term for a goalie... considering that implies scoring lots of goals... How about "Rip it up" or "Stand on his head"... Or for all I know you actually want this guy to "Light it up" and become the highest goal scoring goalie ever (what would that be, like 3 goals?, or 4?)

#5 Dak72

Dak72

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

:picard:

#6 spinarama

spinarama

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

curveball.

post-season ... RL waves the no trade.
canucks go with CS35 and lack. just another angle on it.

#7 Dak72

Dak72

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

curveball.

Man I would personally LOVE to see that happen. Highly doubt it will though...

No offense to Luoungo and his legion of fans, just youth and talent trumps with CS.

#8 kesler_is_clutch

kesler_is_clutch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

awesome post! well said! I think we most definitely have the best goalie crop in the league! I also can't wait to see what we get for shneiderman! Or maybe luongo lol i know far fetched hahahahaha

#9 DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

IMO you can go with either Luongo or Schneider after this season.

Luongo has the experience, Schneider the potential. Wouldn't mind it either way.

MMjJiLv.gif

Shinckarukak

#10 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

No offense to Luoungo and his legion of fans, just youth and talent trumps with CS.

I think a lot of people would like to see Luongo waive his NTC. In the end we need a good team in front of the goalie, teams have won with questionable goalies. I'll take a good to average goalie over a great one who disapears in key moments. The end result is the same, it costs the team less in cap space and ego.

#11 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

at first i was like "yah a love luuu thread"

then it turned into a trade schieder & Lack thread <_<

very sneaky

Posted Image

#12 Burrows #14

Burrows #14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

awesome post! well said! I think we most definitely have the best goalie crop in the league! I also can't wait to see what we get for shneiderman! Or maybe luongo lol i know far fetched hahahahaha

If Luongo doesn't perform well in the playoffs this year, Schneider will be our starter next year

#13 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

curveball.

regardless of who gets shipped out of here, we will still have a great goalie in for us. Our depth in every position this year seems insane. I hope we can keep both Luongo and Schnieder for the rest of their careers but obviously thats not gonna happen.

PS. I for one love the fact that Luongo always gets blamed for a game we lose (when he plays great) and is always praised when we win. Man does the CDC have some kind of disorder or what......haha

Edited by Burnsey, 27 March 2012 - 09:55 AM.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#14 We Are All Cucks

We Are All Cucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

curveball.

Here's the issue, though...
1. Trade return for Schneider > return for Luongo
2. Cap hit for Schneids next season won't be much less than Lu
3. Schneids is great, but unproven

I think point 1 alone is enough to keep Luongo. We want to improve the entire team. By trading Schneids we improve other aspects of our team while still having good goaltending now and some great goalies waiting in the wing (Lack, Cannata, Honzik...).
If we traded Lou, we would probably get little in return, thus not improving our team, but going from good goaltending to (perhaps...see point 3) great goaltending.

Tell me I'm wrong...

#15 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

There will always be some other younger talented player coming out so that really just seems like a cop out reason. Plus I don't think many people actually think about this scenario more indepth then Schneids is good and cheaper that equals better. Well he only has 1 more RFA year left and then he can hit FA, or more to the point he has leverage and can ask for a lot more money. Do I think it will be 5mill out of the gate no but he could easily demand upwards of 3.5m and our cap starts creeping up again. Plus think about it from an asset management point of view, if we want to move Luongo that means we don't want him and would rather stick with our younger goalies well why does that other team want to give us anything significant. They wouldn't every team would try to low ball us and force our hand. Plus what if we Move Luongo and Schneider starts with Lack backing him up but Lack doesn't fill the hole that Cory left in the backup department then if Schneider gets shaky at all we have no one to back him up legitimately and take some pressure off. People want to just assume if we move Luongo our problems will be solved and off to the cup we go but there is so much more to it than that.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#16 spinarama

spinarama

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

lou would wave the NTC for Florida, and FL has the cap space to do it.
(Lou's Mrs is from there and they spend off seasons there)

in return YVR would either want high draft picks, or else a 3 way trade with some good players coming back.

but it would free 6M cap. they would also want to sign a veteran goalie for just in case.

but that is sheer speculating no way of knowing what management priorities are.
besides they're focused on playoffs now, not offseason)
so what is spinarama doing here.

Edited by spinarama, 27 March 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#17 bronski beat

bronski beat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

schnieder is the next luongo
lack is the next schnieder
cannata is the next lack
who is the next cannata?

#18 mug_costanza

mug_costanza

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

schnieder is the next luongo
lack is the next schnieder
cannata is the next lack
who is the next cannata?

That would be me, Mug Costanza.
T-Bone 2.0

#19 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

Here's the issue, though...
1. Trade return for Schneider > return for Luongo (likely)
2. Cap hit for Schneids next season won't be much less than Lu TRUE (most likely)
3. Schneids is great, but unproven
(he does have great upside though, so much so that weak teams will likely play him already)

I think point 1 alone is enough to keep Luongo. We want to improve the entire team. By trading Schneids we improve other aspects of our team while still having good goaltending now and some great goalies waiting in the wing (Lack, Cannata, Honzik...).

That's the problem with these kinds of situations though; these young guys all have potential (so does Schneider as a starter) but it's the uncertainty about whether they pan out and whether you've made the right decision. I sure hope management takes their time in making their choice of who to trade; I would not want one of those "Rask for Raycroft, keep Justin Pogge to be the starter" situations that the Leafs were in before when they could have had a young starter for a long time instead of having all those crappy years before Reimer and Gus came in. I'm glad to not be the manager, so much to consider-- how long will Lu still be at top form vs. how many years will Schneider be able to play as the #1 and is the return for him enough to justify moving him? Also, will the guys waiting in the wings, particularly Lack, be able to continue to serve as the pipeline for the future? That's what I'm nervous but excited to find out.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#20 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

I think we should sign Viktor Fasth, (a great Swedish goalie) trade Lou and play Schneider next year, with Fasth as our back up.

#21 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

in return YVR would either want high draft picks, or else a 3 way trade with some good players coming back.

but it would free 6M cap. they would also want to sign a veteran goalie for just in case.

not 6m, Luongo's cap hit is only 5.3M for the last time!
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#22 one-x

one-x

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

If Luongo doesn't perform well in the playoffs this year, Schneider will be our starter next year

^ thats the fact of the matter.
maybe that could motivate him enough to play his ass off for that one extra win.

tumblr_m8tr8mGRkW1rdrug2o1_400.jpg    tumblr_ncj1ajVA7j1tb6rtvo2_250.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 Dak72

Dak72

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

1).There will always be some other younger talented player coming out so that really just seems like a cop out reason. Plus I don't think many people actually think about this scenario more indepth then Schneids is good and cheaper that equals better. Well he only has 1 more RFA year left and then he can hit FA, or more to the point he has leverage and can ask for a lot more money. Do I think it will be 5mill out of the gate no but he could easily demand upwards of 3.5m and our cap starts creeping up again. 2).Plus think about it from an asset management point of view, if we want to move Luongo that means we don't want him and would rather stick with our younger goalies well why does that other team want to give us anything significant. They wouldn't every team would try to low ball us and force our hand. Plus what if we Move Luongo and Schneider starts with Lack backing him up but Lack doesn't fill the hole that Cory left in the backup department then if Schneider gets shaky at all we have no one to back him up legitimately and take some pressure off. 3).People want to just assume if we move Luongo our problems will be solved and off to the cup we go but there is so much more to it than that.

1). Cop out reason? We've had this guy in our system since 08' and every year he's done nothing but improve. Not to mention he's the kind of quality person you don't see come along very often (*cough cough* all you people losing your minds over CH). I'd take CS over any of the other top end young goaltending prospects that have had their day to shine in the NHL to date.

2). For the record, from business point of view, it makes more sense to trade CS because of the return (if they optimize what they get back for him). From a personal point of view, I'd hate to see this guy go. Also, if you've watched any sport talks shows where the analysts have discussed this, many of the ones from the east have said their insiders have told them there's at least three teams that would jump at the chance to land Roberto.

3). Not once was I assuming anything, as a matter of fact, in my post you responded to I believe I said that Roberto being traded was very unlikely. Thanks for stating the obvious that it takes "so much more" to get a Stanley Cup. Thought if you had the best goaltender you could just plug a bunch of pylons on the ice in front and off you go! <_<

#24 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

::D Great point, and from a 13 post rookie!

Even Lou himself has a maturity about him this year. I think he learned more than anyone from last year's loss, and subsequent challenge by Schneider.

Long gone are the goalie grave yard days. I for one cannot wait to see what we fetch for Schneider. We are going to get some excellent pieces. And then I cannot wait to read how many people on here throw Luongo under the bus when Lack becomes the back up who could be a number 1 anywhere in the league? All the while still wearing my Luongo Jersey proudly, watching this Canatta kid we just signed light it up in Chicago. Who will be the next Schneider, or do I mean Lack. And 5-7 years from now, Luongo will then and only then be long in the tooth, and will hand the reigns over to this kid. Maybe ... :)

#25 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

At risk of sounding like I'm contradicting myself; the problem wasn't ever Lou not "playing his arse off."

In the past, pressure has got to Lou. game 7 stinker in Chicago, slapshot in from centre ice to give them life in (what was it) game 4), stinkers in Boston after whining that nobody is pumping his tires..." Through last year he was second in league history in save %, despite playing 1/2 his career behind some horrid defences. His career was defined by breaking down in big games (1/2 goal increase in GAA in play-offs, where legends like Roy & Brodeur drop 1/2 a goal and clutch up).

I had just mentioned, separate post (but several times this year) that I see a maturity in Lou we've not seen before. Smiling and relaxed when Boston fans cheered him (sitting in favour of Schneider). His support of Schneids when he went on his run of 7 straight starts. In the past he would have sulked. I believe Lou will be stunning in this years play off's.

A Stanley Cup could cement a HHOF invite, a stinker render him an afterthought in conversations about great goalies. It could re-define his career & I think he's looking forward to it?

^ thats the fact of the matter.
maybe that could motivate him enough to play his ass off for that one extra win.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 27 March 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#26 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

The reality is both St Louis & Montreal look pretty good for their handling of a similar situation.

Its a great problem! ::D

That's the problem with these kinds of situations though; these young guys all have potential (so does Schneider as a starter) but it's the uncertainty about whether they pan out and whether you've made the right decision. I sure hope management takes their time in making their choice of who to trade; I would not want one of those "Rask for Raycroft, keep Justin Pogge to be the starter" situations that the Leafs were in before when they could have had a young starter for a long time instead of having all those crappy years before Reimer and Gus came in. I'm glad to not be the manager, so much to consider-- how long will Lu still be at top form vs. how many years will Schneider be able to play as the #1 and is the return for him enough to justify moving him? Also, will the guys waiting in the wings, particularly Lack, be able to continue to serve as the pipeline for the future? That's what I'm nervous but excited to find out.

#27 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

curveball.

Whatever fetches us a better piece. Luongo's experience, or Schneider's promise and potential. To have the choice of keeping either goalie is a luxery in itself.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#28 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Niners 70...I can hardly believe that you said Lou is instrumental in the development of Schneids and Lack when both are technically superior to Lou and have a much cooler demeaner. Lou was reinvented by Rollie Melanson after he started developing bad habits, Give credit where credit is due !!

#29 Vaeneir

Vaeneir

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Long gone are the goalie grave yard days.

Well that clearly isn't true: look at all the people in this thread who desperately want to bury him.

And Smurf47, Schneider has gone on the record saying that playing with Lou and practicing with him has greatly increased his development and he has learned much from Lou's experience and mentoring. Aren't you just so smart, now? Drop the homer-hater glasses.

Edited by Vaeneir, 27 March 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#30 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

I dont know about the rest of you but I didnt move away from my mother in law so i could turn around and move back
GOD BE PRAISED

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.