Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

"buzzkill For The Canucks' Next Shot At The Cup" - Globe And Mail

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
149 replies to this topic

#91 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Oh Sattire. Shows how old majority of the users on these boards are.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#92 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

Sigh...When I read "will arrest anyone downtown wearing a Canucks jersey" I knew it was fake. CDC :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#93 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

SpecialEd can STHU. I live downtown too and welcome everyone to come on down.
It was quite lovely all playoffs up until game 7 of the final and even then, it was a minor sports riot. It was not a major riot. It was not a big deal at all.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#94 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,337 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Dumb article.

But I heard they won't be showing it on large screens. Why not add more police instead?
Posted Image

#95 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

The article was funny, but all the people raging because they thought it was legit were even funnier. Maybe this article could have waited for next Sunday though.

#96 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

I enjoyed that. Captured the spirit of Vancouver perfectly!LOL

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#97 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#98 Starting Schneids

Starting Schneids

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Dumb article.

But I heard they won't be showing it on large screens. Why not add more police instead?

Because then the police would actually be competent...

we wouldn't want that happening now would we? I mean comooooon. They were completely in shock that there was a riot last year, when 99% of Vancouverites were expecting it to occur.

Posted Image

The Ratio of Flame Fans compared to Canuck Fans...

#99 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

Posted Image

Should probably have read the article through, and then the entire thread before posting.......

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 27 March 2012 - 04:27 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#100 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

Because then the police would actually be competent...

we wouldn't want that happening now would we? I mean comooooon. They were completely in shock that there was a riot last year, when 99% of Vancouverites were expecting it to occur.

Hilarious. BUT, 100% accurate. The simple fact they were not prepared for a riot of any scale is laughable and shows their incompetence. You do not simply 'order' canucks fans to stay out of the city however. imo the best policy is to increase the police prescence in advance, like in the earlier rounds. not sure if it would prove to be a deterrent but a show of force by the police might have an impact.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#101 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Should probably have read the article through, and then the entire thread before posting.......

Hmm....if one can't laugh at oneself....

#102 sandman44

sandman44

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yah, there are two of us Canucks fans in River John, Nova Scotia.
The mounties have already been to our house and warned us about too much celebrating should the Canucks go all the way.
We're ignoring them, at our peril.
"You understand Captain that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist."

Fade to Lack

...he took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall...

#103 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yah, there are two of us Canucks fans in River John, Nova Scotia.
The mounties have already been to our house and warned us about too much celebrating should the Canucks go all the way.
We're ignoring them, at our peril.

+1
Good on ya. lol

#104 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Meh, last place i want to be is downtown, i despise city life. I'll be watching the game in my igloo chugging maple syrup on the chesterfield while wearing my 'nucks toque cuz thats what i'm aboot.

#105 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yeah the party was outside my house last year.

People throwing garbage, pissing on the street, burning everything, busting windows.

You like that party don't you? Where do you live I can party too.

Wherever it is I am sure there is a shortbus to take you there.

#106 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Meh, last place i want to be is downtown, i despise city life. I'll be watching the game in my igloo chugging maple syrup on the chesterfield while wearing my 'nucks toque cuz thats what i'm aboot.

Same, but my igloo might melt come June so I'm working on building a log cabin from scratch.

#107 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

I don't mind crowds. I was here during the Olympics mind you.

But after "two riots", I'm sick of playoff crowds and can you blame me?

No, I can't blame you, but I also don't feel sorry for you or think that no one should come downtown. In fact I have zero pity for you. Think about all the reasons why you live downtown. These are a lot of the reasons why I want to watch the game downtown.

And just to point out, I was sick to my stomach watching the riots, not "having fun at home" as you carelessly insinuated.

Again, if anyone is still questioning why the riots happen, look no further than the naivety of the city and the police thinking there wouldn't be violence and anger that could very well lead to a riot if the Canucks lost. It seemed obvious to me at the time, but...hindsight is what it is.

#108 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image

I see what you did there

;)

#109 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

I don't mind crowds. I was here during the Olympics mind you.

But after "two riots", I'm sick of playoff crowds and can you blame me?

You think nobody is sick of the riots? Your telling people don't come downtown. Well bud some FANS do live in DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER. People do work and go to school after 7:30 pm during playoff games in downtown Vancouver. But your special in telling those people don't come downtown! What would you like those people to do ED?Quit their jobs and fail their classes !!! The Mayor and the chief of police didn't expect a riot and don't want to take any responsibility for it as they were caught with their pants down. When most of us thought otherwise. Then shame on them for not learning after the first riot. They should have been more prepare last year.
You don't mind crowds but your sick of playoff crowds?????? Whats the difference? You had three rounds of it with no problems last year. Its not like was was the first time this team lost in the playoffs before and nothing happened in previous years. Think about that ED! Why is that?
Cmon ED Where is the line when the city is telling people don't wear Canuck jersey. So you telling people that they shouldn't support their local team live at the game.
One more thing ED maybe you should asked the city why millitary resevered weren't present when they were so call short of police.

Edited by canacks1970, 27 March 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#110 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

I was on Granville having a good time last year too... When we were winning. Problem is a lot of Vancouver fans can't take a loss. Then they want to act like idiots and destroy the city. Fact is the good times aren't worth the potential bad times. And as well it's obvious people that DONT live downtown "don't care". Here's an idea. Let me come by your place with 50 friends and pee on your lawn. Throw trash everywhere. Burn, break windows and generally be disrespectful degenerate drunken morons. Then I'll let you know that next year around the same time i may be back. Back don't try to stop my fun ok? Lol

Meh, comes with the territory. Obviously last year was an extreme example, but drunk morons are going to be downtown all the time and I'm sure you have to deal with it on a pretty regular basis. Again, comes with the territory. Everywhere you live there are upsides and downsides. Upside to living downtown: you are right in the middle of the action Downside: You are right in the middle of the action when things go bad.

Upside to living on the north shore or further away from downtown/somewhere residential: it's quiet and peaceful and more safe

Downside: it's boring, there aren't many good restaurants, pubs, shows, etc to go to and to go see

Take the good with the bad, and don't lump everyone into a lame category

#111 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Sigh...When I read "will arrest anyone downtown wearing a Canucks jersey" I knew it was fake. CDC :rolleyes:

True, but to all the uber smart posters who knew *right away* that it was satire, you realize that satire is created to mock reality. So instead of promoting how smart you are and discussing how stupid everyone else is (a great topic, really, bravo everyone), maybe have a look at the content of the satire and the fact that a lot of what is being said is scarily true, and is being pushed by the city and the police, and by people like Special Ed.

#112 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

No wonder the western world is so screwed. People will believe ANYTHING they hear or see from an 'official' source. That's what Fox News and other sources bank on: spread rumors and false claims, and people will accept them without question. This article is clearly a satire, and should never once have been taken seriously. Those who believed it and let it influence their judgement... Shame on you. Don't believe everything you're told. Even when it's so clearly layed out to be intentionally false

Actually it's laid out to mock the true opinions being bandied about by some people in the city, and what will potentially be happening in the city during playoffs. Arresting people with jerseys? No, of course not. But "just don't come downtown" is such a stupid way to deal with a problem. It's like telling an addict, "well, just don't smoke crack, it's that simple"

Hey you might think that if the Canucks make it all the way and then lose again that people couldn't just hop on the bus, sky train or whatever and come downtown and riot anyways? Maybe the solution is properly trained anti-riot police who are there in effective numbers and who are PREPARED for the worst...like they were during the olympics.

#113 Cindilette

Cindilette

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

So does this also mean that if we win the cup this year, we won't have a parade?

Aww that sucks :sadno:

#114 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Not that simple. If I want to go spend my hard earned money downtown for some food, drinks and atmosphere that I don't get at home during a Canucks game, I damn well have the right to. This isn't a police state.

Yeah I definetly Agree but I don't think the City would take the Risk of having another Riot.

zackass.png

#115 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

just do what they do in boston now, they've had so many sports riots there that they just line the streets with riot police during major events like the world series or superbowl

Edited by Tm085, 27 March 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#116 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

Yeah I definetly Agree but I don't think the City would take the Risk of having another Riot.

Proper police presence, proper preparation from the city...would there have been a riot?

#117 stilllovin94

stilllovin94

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Some people don't get satire. People, IT'S NOT REAL! It's pretty funny though. What's more funny is reading all the responses of people getting all mad because they think it's serious.

#118 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

LET'S START A RIOT! A RIOT LETS START A RIOT.....!!!!!- three days grace

No but really I think it's best for the city and it's easier to follow/analyse the game at home anyway.

#119 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

SpecialEd can STHU. I live downtown too and welcome everyone to come on down.
It was quite lovely all playoffs up until game 7 of the final and even then, it was a minor sports riot. It was not a major riot. It was not a big deal at all.

You must be a renter.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#120 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

LOL that is a good satirical piece you can add to that All residents displaying Canucks paraphernalia, must first catalogue in detail and submit photo's to the department of unbelievably gullible posters.
Ps check out the Mercer Report sometime

Edited by grumpworsley, 27 March 2012 - 06:22 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.