Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

[Report] Bruins' Nathan Horton Likely Done For The Year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#31 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yes, because it's a brain injury. It can significantly affect his quality of life after hockey.

I bet you weren't so concerned in the SCF. I bet nobody was.
Posted Image

#32 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,896 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Wish him the best of luck in his recovery. People first, hockey rivals second when it comes to this stuff.

Posted Image

#33 MistaT

MistaT

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

I despise the Bruins and their players - but I can't put forth that hatred to the individuals that make up their team.

So I don't wish this upon Horton, and I can only wish him a swift, full recovery.

Shame on anyone wishing brain injuries on anyone.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Canucks, baby!

#34 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Are you an expert? I experienced a mild concussion from highschool football a number of years ago. I couldn't even complete a day of school with 15 kids without my head pounding for about 3 weeks after the incident. The bruins medical staff had said the concussion was as bad as Savard's and was going to put Horton out for the summer and training camp, but as soon as the punishment was dished on Rome Horton was out skating and practising again. What a load of crap

Oh well if it was that bad for you OBVIOUSLY eveyone else would have the same or worse issues.

:picard:

I made an observation, not a medical diagnosis. But you seem to be an expert on concussions apparently. How ironic you'd think I'm the one claiming to be a doctor.

Note that not once did I say I was 'happy' about Horton being hurt. I'm not.

No it's just true how people react differently to concussions, just as how some people recover quick and others not so much.

You made it seem like the only way he could have been able to handle the lights and crowds was if he was faking it etc
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Nothing new here. He was done from the get go.

Subbancopy.jpg

#36 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

The issue is that they said Horton had a "severe concussion" that would keep him out for a lengthy period of time, however he was back playing as soon as Rome was suspended.

That's just fishy, whatever way you look at it.

I really hope the guy is ok, you never want to see someone suffer from a concussion, but it is a little ironic to see how badly he's taking this "mild" concussion after his miraculous recovery from the super "severe" concussion last play offs.

He was back playing? What?

Also I'm willing to bet the NHL has to confirmation from doctors on his condition, they just don't phone up the Bruins and take their word as gospel.
They don't do this for any team.
If you have a player that will be going on LTIR it's not done without proper procedures etc.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 Brunners

Brunners

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

He was back playing? What?

Also I'm willing to bet the NHL has to confirmation from doctors on his condition, they just don't phone up the Bruins and take their word as gospel.
They don't do this for any team.
If you have a player that will be going on LTIR it's not done without proper procedures etc.

My mistake, I misspoke. He didn't play, but he was back around and in the arena.

The Bruins team labelled it a "severe" concussion. No matter whether people react differently to concussions or not (which they do, I agree with you) you'd think the doctors wouldn't have labelled it severe if they even considered he'd be essentially symptom free within days.

Posted Image

--

#38 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

My mistake, I misspoke. He didn't play, but he was back around and in the arena.

The Bruins team labelled it a "severe" concussion. No matter whether people react differently to concussions or not (which they do, I agree with you) you'd think the doctors wouldn't have labelled it severe if they even considered he'd be essentially symptom free within days.

Who says that he was symptom free?

He could wake up with headaches and throwing up but by the afternoon feel ok, repeat the next day so on and so on.

I don't understand the need to down play a players injury or to claim it was faked or embelished.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

imo Horton hasn't been alright since Downie's hit on him in the Boston-Tampa series. He entered the finals as a question mark and i was pretty surprised he played. But i guess they followed protocol. The break in between series' was long enough.

However, he didn't play well up to the Rome hit and the Bruins certainly played better without him.

Meh. It's all ancient history now and it's not a good enough excuse to blame our finals loss on Horton's embellishment, Rome's ridiculously long suspension or whatever. They won because they were able to execute their series plan better than we were. Various factors were involved.

Now what we have is a player, a good player, who is suffering from taking multiple blows to the head. It appears that players aren't learning. And it appears that the NHL is still very far from taking the issue seriously.

I hope these problems are rectified so great players like Horton are still in the game and that players in the past who's careers were cut short like Lindy, Primeau and Lafontaine are made heroes of an ancient, barbaric head-knocker era of bs. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#40 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

He could wake up with headaches and throwing up but by the afternoon feel ok, repeat the next day so on and so on.

I don't understand the need to down play a players injury or to claim it was faked or embelished.

Why are you so harshley defending Nathan Horton? Go for a walk or something. frack sakes.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#41 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

especially after what happened to daniel, i find it preposterous and embarrassing that people aren't sympathetic to ANY player with a concussion. the hell did horton do to the canucks?
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#42 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Horton should check with the teams doctor..
Posted Image

Edited by EnjoyDaSedinery, 27 March 2012 - 10:17 PM.

Posted Image

#43 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Why are you so harshley defending Nathan Horton? Go for a walk or something. frack sakes.

The sad part is that I even have to make such comments.

Edited by lateralus, 27 March 2012 - 10:28 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 Serendipity

Serendipity

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

The best treatment for a concussion is rest. Rest both physically and mentally. I think it bothered people (or still bothers people for that matter) that Horton was diagnosed with a "severe" concussion, yet days later he was in a building full of 18000 screaming fans. For someone with a severe concussion - that is extreme sensory overload.

Speaking for myself though, I've moved past that. While I may despise the Bruins, I hope Horton makes a full recovery. This would be his second concussion in a year and there is evidence to support that there are cumulative effects of multiple brain injuries. For the sake of his family, I hope he gets better soon!

#45 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

imo Horton hasn't been alright since Downie's hit on him in the Boston-Tampa series. He entered the finals as a question mark and i was pretty surprised he played. But i guess they followed protocol. The break in between series' was long enough.

However, he didn't play well up to the Rome hit and the Bruins certainly played better without him.

Meh. It's all ancient history now and it's not a good enough excuse to blame our finals loss on Horton's embellishment, Rome's ridiculously long suspension or whatever. They won because they were able to execute their series plan better than we were. Various factors were involved.

Now what we have is a player, a good player, who is suffering from taking multiple blows to the head. It appears that players aren't learning. And it appears that the NHL is still very far from taking the issue seriously.

I hope these problems are rectified so great players like Horton are still in the game and that players in the past who's careers were cut short like Lindy, Primeau and Lafontaine are made heroes of an ancient, barbaric head-knocker era of bs. Cheers.

TOML

Couldn't agree more.

The NHL clearly has no intention of reducing concussions, or if they do have that intention, they clearly aren't making strides in oder for it to be a reality.

Quite sick, really that the league doesn't feel the need to protect its prime assets.

RIP LB RR PD

#46 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

I think it bothered people (or still bothers people for that matter) that Horton was diagnosed with a "severe" concussion, yet days later he was in a building full of 18000 screaming fans. For someone with a severe concussion - that is extreme sensory overload.

his team won the stanley cup. of course he wanted to be there. obviously it risked being uncomfortable for him, but it wasn't going to aggravate anything. would you have him stay at home while the team he played for all year played in game 7 of the finals? i would expect daniel, or any other vancouver player to do the same. not only for the player, but for the positive influence on the whole team.

if his concussion was anything less than severe he would probably have tried to play/practice. also, as i understand it he did not travel for game 5 (?)
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#47 Lewah

Lewah

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

Is the NHL going to find another guy to suspend for Horton's inability to take a hit?
muskit blau

#48 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

I feel bad for Horton, can't help feeling happy the Bruins are weaker though.

The Bruins coaches/management were the ones lobbying for the suspension with all the "severe concussion" crap, not Horton.

#49 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

I won't lose any sleep over this. Horton might though, with all those headaches.

#50 JoshuaGuy

JoshuaGuy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

Oh well if it was that bad for you OBVIOUSLY eveyone else would have the same or worse issues.

:picard:

No it's just true how people react differently to concussions, just as how some people recover quick and others not so much.

You made it seem like the only way he could have been able to handle the lights and crowds was if he was faking it etc

The only reason that was ever a big deal is because of Recchi's (now hypocritical) comments regarding Pacioretty going to see a movie after the Chara hit.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.