The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider In The Summer

The Magician

I think it all depends on how both of our goalies play in this year's playoff.

Scenario 1: if Luu can win or at least bring us far, and prove he can do that himself, then I see we would trade Cory for a top 2 d-men and a top 2 round picks.

Scenario 2: if Lu falter again, and Cory takes over, and even we lose in the conference final, I think MG may want to try to trade Lu away for a top 4 d-men , and use the money to re-sign Cory.

I don't think Lu 's contract is that untradeable, he only carries 5.33 cap hit which is moderate for a top notch goaltender. If Jeff Carter and Mike Richards 's long contracts can be traded, why not Luongo's.

I still see some teams would take the gamble on him say NJ, Tor or Florida.

Who knows ? Maybe he suits better else where (not heavy pressure by media or hockey town).

What happens in playoffs will go a long way to determining Van's goaltending future. Lou's NTC simply puts him at the table to determine where he would go. Lou chokes and Schneids bails the team, then all options would be open.

Schneid's value is not equivalent to a 1st round pic. He was a 1st round pic himself and is now developed to be a starting goaltender. He has played enough NHL games to show his value. He has the 3rd highest save % in the NHL! Rebuilding teams usually start in net. Burky would love to get CS! I expect CS to go for a top 4 dman + 1st or a 2nd rounder depending which team it is. It is all about the talent coming back.

anyone that thinks we can trade Luongo and get a decent but not comparable return to Schneider needs to give their head a shake.. Luongo control's his own destiny, so say if he does indeed waive his NTC to go Tampa Bay... would Tampa Bay give us anything significant in return for Luongo? the answer is NO. why? well Tampa Bay knows that if we are trading Luongo it's because of a salary dump, and we don't have the option of trading him to anyone else. So it's either TB absorbing Luongo's contract or Canucks stuck with him hampering their cap. So would TB give up anything significant knowing they are our only choice? and there are so many decent goalies on the market available so it's not like if they don't take Luongo they are doom... I'm sure one of the 2 goalie in STL will become available in the summer.. there's still Bernier.. and a bunch of avg goalies available.. maybe even TT will become available.. regardless the draft will be interesting..

I don't care what anyone says, I'd rather keep Schneider than Luongo.

Q: One of the best (expensive) goalies in the league who has massive melt downs and slumps but has potential to steal the show every night he plays or a young (and very cheap) goalie who is consistent night in a night out, never losing his cool, and will probably be even better than he is now in time?

A: I take the ginger.

I like Luu, I really do, I just can't help but feel that Schneider is better for this team, not just in the future, but RIGHT NOW as well.

I guess I'll add though that since they're probably trading him anyways... I'd MUCH rather they try to make up a package including him and some picks/prospects and go for someone big like Nash, Parise, Suter, Weber etc. I like the idea of Schneids for a 1st + Connolly/Johansen but honestly I'd rather not risk it on players that could turn out to be busts in the long run as opposed to getting a proven impact player right away to make a run at a long post season run again next year... Unless they win the cup this year lol.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/03/28/lock-it-up-cory-schneider-will-be-a-maple-leaf-next-year/

I think it's retarded, theres no one I really want from the leafs. Even if you put together a package of players, it will be a package of players that you really don't want invidually. Team that need goaltending.

Teams that need goaltending if not need it sometime soon

New Jersey - Brodeur is great, but he wont be there forever. New Jersey will need to find a number 1 soon.

Tampa Bay. Nuff said.

Columbus. I think they need a number 1 goalie

Washington.

Toronto

Edmonton (maybe) Dubynk is not bad.

These are a few teams that will probably try to trade for Schneider or make offers. Not as much teams out there.

Archived