The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider In The Summer

The Magician

I don't care what anyone says, I'd rather keep Schneider than Luongo.

Q: One of the best (expensive) goalies in the league who has massive melt downs and slumps but has potential to steal the show every night he plays or a young (and very cheap) goalie who is consistent night in a night out, never losing his cool, and will probably be even better than he is now in time?

A: I take the ginger.

I like Luu, I really do, I just can't help but feel that Schneider is better for this team, not just in the future, but RIGHT NOW as well.

Schneider is making it more and more difficult to even consider trading him. He is so good night in and night out. luongo has great games but is much streakier then schneids. I know all the talk about salery cap issues and lous No trade contract...but Schneiders stats are a true yard stick on just how good he is...and its because of his technical superiority to Lou.

The summer will prove to be very interesting, especially if Lou falters in the playoffs. He has a no trade contract ...but nothings etched in stone. Lou is under a lot of pressure to remain the starter...a 2.41 GAA vs Corys 1.97 is a HUGE difference...no matter how you slice it !!

Schneider is an RFA at the end of the season. All we can trade are his rights. Therefore the return will not be as good on a trade as it would be if he had 1+ year(s) left on his contract. If MG's asking price for CS's bargaining rights, teams will just wait until July 1st and throw an offer sheet at him. Unless they offer and he signs for 3.5+, we are NOT getting much back in return, certainly not a 1st overall.

Luongo isn't going anywhere. I still find it astounding that so many people think he is a sub-par goalie. I understand that he has bad games, and some of those bad games have been high profile games, but GOOD FRIGGIN GOD, this guy is the best goalie Vancouver has ever had the luxury of putting in net, and that includes Cory Schneider. Schneids is very calm and poised and positionally sound, and he rarely has a bad game, but he does not have the ability to step up and steal games the way Luongo can, and did 3 times in the Stanley Cup Finals alone. Too bad the rest of the team couldn't show up and win one for their goaltender.

I have faith in this team. If you don't have faith in this team (the entire team), don't celebrate their wins. If you want Luongo to fail, then you want the team to fail, and inherently you are not a fan of this team. A fan does not want their team or any part of it to fail. Cory Schneider is not the saviour of this team. If he takes over as number 1 and Luongo leaves, in 3 years time all you Luongo haters will be calling for Schneiders head.

Get a friggin clue, or get off the bandwagon and walk away. I hear Buffalo is a great team to follow.

It probably wont happen, but signing Schneider for a few years is a very feasible option. If I'm correct, starting next year, we will be paying Luongo about $125,000/year as opposed to $5.3 million. We could offer Cory a reasonable contract and the surplus money we have from that in addition to what we will save off of Salo might amount to $3-3.5 million. Not to mention that the NHL will probably bump up the cap by a bit, so we would have cap space for another superstar.

I'm sure Schneider would like a starting position somewhere, and he absolutely deserves it; however, it is evident that he really likes Vancouver (as do most players) and a three year contract would allow us to develop our other goalies so they are as ready as he was. Balancing the goalie act more would keep Schneider happy, and if Luongo starts deteriorating due to age then we have a solid backup who would work in the long term.

Additionally, signing him gives us more flexibility in trades so we can get an elite player out of him instead of a 1st rounder.

Schneider is an RFA at the end of the season. All we can trade are his rights. Therefore the return will not be as good on a trade as it would be if he had 1+ year(s) left on his contract. If MG's asking price for CS's bargaining rights, teams will just wait until July 1st and throw an offer sheet at him. Unless they offer and he signs for 3.5+, we are NOT getting much back in return, certainly not a 1st overall.

Luongo isn't going anywhere. I still find it astounding that so many people think he is a sub-par goalie. I understand that he has bad games, and some of those bad games have been high profile games, but GOOD FRIGGIN GOD, this guy is the best goalie Vancouver has ever had the luxury of putting in net, and that includes Cory Schneider. Schneids is very calm and poised and positionally sound, and he rarely has a bad game, but he does not have the ability to step up and steal games the way Luongo can, and did 3 times in the Stanley Cup Finals alone. Too bad the rest of the team couldn't show up and win one for their goaltender.

I have faith in this team. If you don't have faith in this team (the entire team), don't celebrate their wins. If you want Luongo to fail, then you want the team to fail, and inherently you are not a fan of this team. A fan does not want their team or any part of it to fail. Cory Schneider is not the saviour of this team. If he takes over as number 1 and Luongo leaves, in 3 years time all you Luongo haters will be calling for Schneiders head.

Get a friggin clue, or get off the bandwagon and walk away. I hear Buffalo is a great team to follow.

The Goalies are the most important players on the team.

If the D are worth 20 mil., and The Twins are worth 12.3, then arent Lou and Schneider also worth 12 mil?

Seems to be a no brainer to me. If you need to trade someone, then Schneider is the last player on the team I would trade. Sign Schneider long term!

Schneider is making it more and more difficult to even consider trading him. He is so good night in and night out. luongo has great games but is much streakier then schneids. I know all the talk about salery cap issues and lous No trade contract...but Schneiders stats are a true yard stick on just how good he is...and its because of his technical superiority to Lou.

The summer will prove to be very interesting, especially if Lou falters in the playoffs. He has a no trade contract ...but nothings etched in stone. Lou is under a lot of pressure to remain the starter...a 2.41 GAA vs Corys 1.97 is a HUGE difference...no matter how you slice it !!

lol that's the most retarded thing to say...

oh look at boston look at the stats and who's the backup?? look at what happened to Boston the previous year before winning the cup? 3-0 in the series and lost 4-3? what happened to tim thomas in the series before the SCF? looks similar enough to Luongo's playoff career.. did Boston fans crap all over tim thomas? nope

and i'm going to take my crystal ball out and say.. once we trade Luongo away, Schneider will become the new whipping boy within a few years just like all the goalies that played in Vancouver. When Luongo first got here he's jesus, best goalie in the world... couple season later.. he's a horrible goalie, streaky as hell.. isn't technically sound... Schneider is one of the best goalie in the league... he'll bring the cup to Vancouver... wait.. that sounds familiar... don't deny it CDC... most of you Luongo hater will convert into Schneider hater the moment he has a few meltdown. Not saying Schneider will have a meltdown but nothing is impossible. You'd never thought Luongo could melt down a few yrs ago before chicago.. Just like Toronto thought Reimer is their savior.. anything is possible...

Trade Luongo!

Team- Players with high cap hits

Winnipeg- Byfuglien, Antropov, Enstrom

Toronto- Kessel, Lupul, MacArhur

Tampa- Malone, Ohlund, Lecavalier

Florida- Campbell Fleishman, Jovanovski

Columbus- Nash, Mason, Brassard, J . Johnson

This is a genuine question...if Luongo chokes in the playoffs and we go out first or second round, surely the Canucks will do all they can to keep Schneids and ask Lu to waive his NTC. What are the chances of a him doing this and b it happening? I'm not saying he will choke but everyone is saying it's bang on that Schneids will go but.....

Archived