The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 Scoring Lines Or 2 Scoring + 2 Shutdown Checking Lines ?

jacky_mak

Before we traded Cody, we had 3 lines that could score. Cody + Hansen + Higgins line was pretty effective to take the offensive pressure off the twins and Kesler line. By that time, we are top 3 teams in terms of offense.

Coincidence or not, after Cody was traded, our offence started to dip big time. The twins went on a long slump (at least by their standard), our offence and PP struggles.

With now Pahlsson as our 3rd line center, we basically become 2 scoring lines + 2 checking lines, our defense maybe a bit better, but our offence drops significantly.

I am not here to complain about the Cody trade or criticize on Pahlsson 's offence, but just wonder which strategy you rather have ? Remember last SCF, we only scored total of 6 or 8 goals in 7 games. Even Henrik said we lost because we didn't score enough, should we be concerning again ? I really hope we could somehow find our scoring touch again real soon, otherwise I will be the one really concerning.

Having more defense lines mean nothing if you don't have a single goal, because there's nothing to defend. May I remind everyone that last year's SCF game 7 vs. Boston, we had zero goal. :sadno:

The most ideal setup would be 2.5 scoring lines, and 1.5 shutdown line, which is what we had prior the trade (Sedins line scoring, Kesler's line half scoring/defensive, Hodgson's line scoring, Manny's line defensive).

No, we defiantly have way more scoring depth with Booth in the line up and others finding their skill this season (Hansen, Higgins, etc.) The thing is, we haven't seen our team work together to score.. It is usually just one line scoring for us a game. Like vs L.A, it was our fourth line. vs Colorado it was our third + PP goal from Ray. Most of our players are in a slump, slowly getting out of it. This year, our second line could be considered a first. Our third and fourth are more effective than last year, and can get goals if the other 2 aren't. You aren't giving any credit to Pahlsson, he has a lot of skill. I was shocked to see the passes he can make. Kassian also has skill that I can see him later becoming a power forward, he needs time though, just like Cody did. Gragi.. scares me.. a lot when he pinches in but for some strange reason, he is never put in a turnover or breakaway situation. He too has offensive skill, not sure about his defence. For a team that has so many players slumping, a couple key players out, and STILL coming out with wins.. that's pretty good. Now when it comes to the playoffs, we have to hope every line does their best. Because that is when we can be most dominant.

Before we traded Cody, we had 3 lines that could score. Cody + Hansen + Higgins line was pretty effective to take the offensive pressure off the twins and Kesler line. By that time, we are top 3 teams in terms of offense.

Coincidence or not, after Cody was traded, our offence started to dip big time. The twins went on a long slump (at least by their standard), our offence and PP struggles.

With now Pahlsson as our 3rd line center, we basically become 2 scoring lines + 2 checking lines, our defense maybe a bit better, but our offence drops significantly.

I am not here to complain about the Cody trade or criticize on Pahlsson 's offence, but just wonder which strategy you rather have ? Remember last SCF, we only scored total of 6 or 8 goals in 7 games. Even Henrik said we lost because we didn't score enough, should we be concerning again ? I really hope we could somehow find our scoring touch again real soon, otherwise I will be the one really concerning.

I think (even given its frequent alteration) that the 3rd line is the perfect hybrid between scoring and checking. On another note, AV is clearly keeping Raymond in the top 6 so I would love to see more Burrows/Pahlsson/Hansen to further develop this hybridized role.

To me, the Canucks have this trickle-down effect from the 1st line to the 4th line: Sedin/Sedin/Raymond would be 100% scoring, Booth/Kesler/Higgins 75% scoring and 25% checking, Hansen/Pahlsson/Burrows is 50/50 as I said, and Malhotra/Lappy/Weise) is 75-100% checking.

Obviously there are occasions where this is not the case, but it seems to me that if these were our lines for the playoffs (and I'm betting they'll be somewhat similar) that this "trickle-down" thing would be the over-arching pattern.

The style we are playing now, is the style we going to bring into the playoff. And games have been more and more tight last couple of years. Now we finally have the team we want defensively and Sammy is a big big part of this. CoHo could never bring this to our team - on the contrary. He would only be a liability defensively in the PO. Sure CoHo gave us possibilities in power plays and offensively, but in my point of view we gain a lot more by the acquisition of Sammy, Kass etc. It is our 1st and 2nd line that have to bring sufficient goals.

And Sedins have to get our power play going and 1st line scoring - if they don't - we have nothing to do in the final (COHO or not :) ) - and we are F#¤ cked anyway.

But if they do - then I really really like our chances - and I just love the style we have been playing the last couple of games :towel:

Guest Dasein

If I had to choose between a pure scoring 3rd line and a pure defensive 3rd line, I would choose the pure defensive 3rd line in a heartbeat. Playoffs are all about not making mistakes and not giving an inch to the other team.

Except in our case, Cody was a pure offensive 3rd line center that had to be babied with easy minutes, but Pahlsson is a 3rd shutdown center who is also able to provide offense and plays hard minutes (4 points in 12 games with us - without playing the easy minutes and the PP like Hodgson, but on the PK and against other team's top lines).

To me what Pahlsson does for this team is much more valuable than Cody - especially if you take into consideration Pahlsson's offensive production while playing those hard minutes.

Having more defense lines mean nothing if you don't have a single goal, because there's nothing to defend. May I remind everyone that last year's SCF game 7 vs. Boston, we had zero goal. :sadno:

The most ideal setup would be 2.5 scoring lines, and 1.5 shutdown line, which is what we had prior the trade (Sedins line scoring, Kesler's line half scoring/defensive, Hodgson's line scoring, Manny's line defensive).

Most of the third line scoring was Hodgson more than his linemates, except for when Higgins was moved down to the 3rd line. I would not have called it a balanced scoring line, and in a playoff situation that line would have been mostly nullified if Hodgson received closer attention from a checker.

I'm going to credit some of the slump to the dog days of the regular season.  This team came 1 win away (2 chances) from the Stanley Cup, and got brutally heart broken.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the slump, because they are still battling for the presidents trophy.  Look at San Jose for Christmas sake, they slumped/are slumping, and could very easily miss the Dance.

I like the look of this team (crossed fingers hoping that Daniel comes back) going into playoffs this year.  We've got no Salary cap problems in the Playoffs, and have plenty talent in the AHL we will be bringing up - ie Bitz, Reinprecht, Ebbet, & possibly Schroeder if Daniel cannot return soon enough.

I think the bottom 6 are checking lines who can score.  Remember the past few years the 4th line's were only getting 5-7 minutes a game.  I like the fact that AV will be able to give the 3rd & 4th lines 10-12 minutes each this upcoming playoffs.  Sure the Bruins were bigger, but I think the biggest factor was that they could role 4 lines consistently.  

I have lost a bit of Emotional Capitol with this team, because of the dissapointment of last year and the mayhem this City caused afterwards.  But, I'll be ready to go come playoffs, and IMO I think the team/players could be feeling the same way - Hence the slump!

I think (even given its frequent alteration) that the 3rd line is the perfect hybrid between scoring and checking. On another note, AV is clearly keeping Raymond in the top 6 so I would love to see more Burrows/Pahlsson/Hansen to further develop this hybridized role.

To me, the Canucks have this trickle-down effect from the 1st line to the 4th line: Sedin/Sedin/Raymond would be 100% scoring, Booth/Kesler/Higgins 75% scoring and 25% checking, Hansen/Pahlsson/Burrows is 50/50 as I said, and Malhotra/Lappy/Weise) is 75-100% checking.

Obviously there are occasions where this is not the case, but it seems to me that if these were our lines for the playoffs (and I'm betting they'll be somewhat similar) that this "trickle-down" thing would be the over-arching pattern.

Sure the Bruins were bigger, but I think the biggest factor was that they could role 4 lines consistently.

I have lost a bit of Emotional Capitol with this team, because of the dissapointment of last year and the mayhem this City caused afterwards. But, I'll be ready to go come playoffs, and IMO I think the team/players could be feeling the same way - Hence the slump!

Kinda hard to score when you can't stand in front of the net to screen Thomas. Bruins made it pretty difficult. And as I remember.. we "had" 4 lines rolling last year. Just not all 4 were scoring, only Kesler's line for the most part.

As for "lost a bit of Emotional Capitol with this team, because of the dissapointment of last year and the mayhem this City caused afterwards".. try following this team since day 1, and seeing them lose "3" cups now. 1st was a longshot in '82, but they were one of the favourites in '94, and "the" favourite last year. No riot in '82, but '94 was ugly. Nowhere near as bad as last year, but times have changed.. attitudes have gone to chit.

The loss last year is just a part of life.. life goes on. But to lose enthusiasm because of the idiot rioters.. the team had nothing to do with that, and not everybody was "from here". It wasn't "this city".. it was a handful of ignorant juveniles... losers.

My friend I think you mis-interpreted me. I also have rode the emotional roller coaster for a long time myself. I'm only 30, so I can't tell you about the 80's, but I was a 13 year old orange slice eating, Bure jersey wearing, peewee minor hockey playing fan in '94.I was trying to explain the mid-late season slump the team is going thru. I'll admit it I'm (and I'm pretty sure alot of other ppl are) not as excited watching my Nucks in the regular season like last years regular. I'm waiting/saving for the playoffs. I'll get a "red bull" boost of emotions/energy come game 1 first series.If 1 thing was learned from last year it was that the regular season doesn't mean $#!+

Archived