The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 Scoring Lines Or 2 Scoring + 2 Shutdown Checking Lines ?

jacky_mak

I dunno. With the exception of the last game (in which all Sabres were negative in the faceoff), Hodgson has actually been one of their better faceoff guys, getting trusted on the ice in all zones and all times of the game. He even logs short handed time now, and has performed well in that role too. AV may have given him sheltered opportunity and babied minutes, but he's proving to be ready for a greater role. It's interesting to see how a guy can step up when given trust and confidence.

As for the offense side, a guy like Hodgson would be ideal right about now. Every player has funks, and interestingly enough guys on here seem to like pointing out Hodgson had a dry spell but don't seem to realize just how bad the Canucks are floating offensively.

For example, since the start of the new year, Hodgson has gone 20-11-9, compared to Keslers 19-12-7 or even Henrik's 27-3-24. That means Kesler and Henrik have combined for 15 goals, compared to Hodgon's 11, with significantly less ice time (before the Sabres trade) arguably less offensively talented linemates, and a trade that could realistically frustrate any player's production for a stretch.

Thinking about offensive drought stretches, it's interesting how guys on here have gotten into bashing Hodgson without seeming to realize the Canucks "stars" aren't exactly fairing so well. Kesler has had 17 games since the new year without registering a point, Henrik 20, Hodgson 25. But Hodgson can be forgiven because he's not a "star", and ought to be given some reasonable adjustment room after the trade. What's the excuse for Kesler and Henrik though?

Personally, unless these guys come out of their funk, I think we should be afraid. Very, very afraid.

I dunno. With the exception of the last game (in which all Sabres were negative in the faceoff), Hodgson has actually been one of their better faceoff guys, getting trusted on the ice in all zones and all times of the game. He even logs short handed time now, and has performed well in that role too. AV may have given him sheltered opportunity and babied minutes, but he's proving to be ready for a greater role. It's interesting to see how a guy can step up when given trust and confidence.

As for the offense side, a guy like Hodgson would be ideal right about now. Every player has funks, and interestingly enough guys on here seem to like pointing out Hodgson had a dry spell but don't seem to realize just how bad the Canucks are floating offensively.

For example, since the start of the new year, Hodgson has gone 20-11-9, compared to Keslers 19-12-7 or even Henrik's 27-3-24. That means Kesler and Henrik have combined for 15 goals, compared to Hodgon's 11, with significantly less ice time (before the Sabres trade) arguably less offensively talented linemates, and a trade that could realistically frustrate any player's production for a stretch.

Thinking about offensive drought stretches, it's interesting how guys on here have gotten into bashing Hodgson without seeming to realize the Canucks "stars" aren't exactly fairing so well. Kesler has had 17 games since the new year without registering a point, Henrik 20, Hodgson 25. But Hodgson can be forgiven because he's not a "star", and ought to be given some reasonable adjustment room after the trade. What's the excuse for Kesler and Henrik though?

Personally, unless these guys come out of their funk, I think we should be afraid. Very, very afraid.

Maybe he did look worse because of his sheltered minutes, I have no clue; don't watch Sabres games. But I don't think I'd trust him over Pahlsson to not get scored on.

And looked at Pahlsson's numbers. I want to say he's got 1 goal, 4 assists so far? Pretty good for a guy that apparently has no offensive talent.

Most of the third line scoring was Hodgson more than his linemates, except for when Higgins was moved down to the 3rd line. I would not have called it a balanced scoring line, and in a playoff situation that line would have been mostly nullified if Hodgson received closer attention from a checker.

I think it is a coincidence regarding any dip in scoring. Hodgson was certainly not providing a lot secondary scoring in the month prior to the trade. The lack of scoring is as a result of the Sedins going into a slump (as you noted). Still having Hodgson would not make up for their scoring funk.

With Pahlsson the team now has to worry less about scoring as many goals.

I prefer this current setting, with two scoring and two checking. Were the Canucks in a position where they had a guy like Kesler (who could skate, score and check) as their 3rd line center, while still having Kesler as their 2nd line center, then that would be ideal. The Canucks did not have that in Hodgson.

Part of the problem with last year's playoffs was Malhotra's injury. If he had been 100% re: his eye injury then the result might have been somewhat different. Kesler would not have had to have taken on the checking/face-off duties and would have been able to concentrate more on offense.

regards,

G.

Having more defense lines mean nothing if you don't have a single goal, because there's nothing to defend. May I remind everyone that last year's SCF game 7 vs. Boston, we had zero goal. :sadno:

The most ideal setup would be 2.5 scoring lines, and 1.5 shutdown line, which is what we had prior the trade (Sedins line scoring, Kesler's line half scoring/defensive, Hodgson's line scoring, Manny's line defensive).

i rather have 2 scoring lines 1 hybrid line and 1 checking line.. it gives us flexibility to bring in ppl for defensive role if necessary.. easier to bring in ppl to shutdown than ppl to score imo.. no clue if the departure of hodgson have anything to do with it.. but we are avg exactly 2 goals per game since he was traded.. that means our goalie can give up no more than 1 goal in order for us to win the game.. regular or playoff.. that's an awfully tough task for the goalie to consistently give up 1 goal or less every game.. Look at LA kings lol.. they fall in that catergory.. great goaltending 0 goal support.. look at where they sit... they are great defensively and quick is playing lights out.. but they are sitting on the bubble coz they can't score... this is how i feel about the canucks right now.. if the score gets to 2-1 for the other team.. i feel like we probably don't have that extra goal let along 2 to pull off the win.. Sedin is in a funk... who knows what shape Daniel would be in if and when he's back... dunno if burrows will be able to produce again if he's back on the top line with the sedins etc etc.. so right now it's 1 scoring line with 2 checking line and another line that isn't a scoring nor checking line coz they can do neither =\. shut down the amex line= vancouver shut down... if we get a really good defensive team for the first round.. ie phoenix.. we could be in big trouble.. not that they are better than us.. it's just that we can't score like we used to...

Just about every single Cup-winning team has had their 3rd line score the big goals in the SCF. It seems to be a common trend to have your big guns and stars score in the first 3 rounds, but then when they're being checked to death and physically dominated its the 3rd line that steps up and makes the difference.

Last season, guys like Marchand and Peverley were on Boston's 3rd line and they were the ones doing the major damage to the Canucks. It's important to have skilled, 20-goal scorers on the 3rd line not only incase of injury (Marchand replaced Horton seemlessly), but for depth scoring because a 20-goal scorer on the 3rd line up against a terrible 3rd defensive pairing is almost a guaranteed goal.

The season before that, Chicago had guys like Ladd, Byfuglien and Versteeg on the 3rd line - all 20-goal scorers who were the ones who not only burned the Canucks, but scored big goals against Philadelphia in the finals.

Even going back to the Detroit and Penguins Cup wins, it was the 3rd line players like Samuelsson, Cleary, Filpulla, Dupuis and Talbot who were scoring in the SCF.

Basically the team with the best 3rd line in the Cup finals will win and last season our trio didn't have a single player near the 20-goal mark, whereas Boston had a couple.

Now this season we finally had that edge, with a 15-goal scorer in Hansen and a 20-goal scorer in Hodgson playing on our 3rd line with a 15-goal scorer (on pace) Raymond. Sure they're all tiny, fast players, but so was Samuelsson, Versteeg, Marchand and Peverley when they scored big goals in their respective finals. Our former 3rd line was easily the best in the league but after MG capitulated it, we're stuck with Pahlsson, Hansen and Higgins - sure a great line in its own right but with Higgins preferably playing in the top-6 that would leave us with a 15-goal scorer (Hansen), a 5-goal scorer (Pahlsson) and Raymond (15-goal-pace) or Kassian (10-goal-pace) which is a big drop off from the 20-goal scoring Hodgson.

Worst of all, we now have a dreaded injury to our top-6 (Daniel) and no one to really fill that void. Instead of popping a 20-goal scoring 3rd liner up to the top line and not skipping much of a beat, AV has to play Henrik Sedin with a 3rd-liner in Raymond and a 4th liner in Kassian or Lapierre who have a combined 20 goals between them.

A rediculous, boneheaded move by MG to trade away a 20-goal-scoring 3rd line centerman and it will burn this team in the playoffs, mark my words. The team with the better 3rd line will win and while Pahlsson may be great defensively, he'll get outscored if he goes head-to-head with guys like Jordan Staal, Bolland etc.

Just about every single Cup-winning team has had their 3rd line score the big goals in the SCF. It seems to be a common trend to have your big guns and stars score in the first 3 rounds, but then when they're being checked to death and physically dominated its the 3rd line that steps up and makes the difference.

Last season, guys like Marchand and Peverley were on Boston's 3rd line and they were the ones doing the major damage to the Canucks. It's important to have skilled, 20-goal scorers on the 3rd line not only incase of injury (Marchand replaced Horton seemlessly), but for depth scoring because a 20-goal scorer on the 3rd line up against a terrible 3rd defensive pairing is almost a guaranteed goal.

The season before that, Chicago had guys like Ladd, Byfuglien and Versteeg on the 3rd line - all 20-goal scorers who were the ones who not only burned the Canucks, but scored big goals against Philadelphia in the finals.

Even going back to the Detroit and Penguins Cup wins, it was the 3rd line players like Samuelsson, Cleary, Filpulla, Dupuis and Talbot who were scoring in the SCF.

Basically the team with the best 3rd line in the Cup finals will win and last season our trio didn't have a single player near the 20-goal mark, whereas Boston had a couple.

Now this season we finally had that edge, with a 15-goal scorer in Hansen and a 20-goal scorer in Hodgson playing on our 3rd line with a 15-goal scorer (on pace) Raymond. Sure they're all tiny, fast players, but so was Samuelsson, Versteeg, Marchand and Peverley when they scored big goals in their respective finals. Our former 3rd line was easily the best in the league but after MG capitulated it, we're stuck with Pahlsson, Hansen and Higgins - sure a great line in its own right but with Higgins preferably playing in the top-6 that would leave us with a 15-goal scorer (Hansen), a 5-goal scorer (Pahlsson) and Raymond (15-goal-pace) or Kassian (10-goal-pace) which is a big drop off from the 20-goal scoring Hodgson.

Worst of all, we now have a dreaded injury to our top-6 (Daniel) and no one to really fill that void. Instead of popping a 20-goal scoring 3rd liner up to the top line and not skipping much of a beat, AV has to play Henrik Sedin with a 3rd-liner in Raymond and a 4th liner in Kassian or Lapierre who have a combined 20 goals between them.

A rediculous, boneheaded move by MG to trade away a 20-goal-scoring 3rd line centerman and it will burn this team in the playoffs, mark my words. The team with the better 3rd line will win and while Pahlsson may be great defensively, he'll get outscored if he goes head-to-head with guys like Jordan Staal, Bolland etc.

So you are saying Hodgson was going to win us the cup and without him the Canucks are doomed. So how was Cody going to do against Bolland and Staal? Oh i get it he wouldnt have to face those guys only select centers or lines, again being protected. Pahlsson can play against any center or line in any situation. Would you feel safe having Cody do that?

Man, some people make it sound like the Canucks 3rd line will never score a goal in these playoffs.

Pahlsson has offensive skills. He has shown that in these last couple of games (1g 5a). He has also shown a good playmaking ability and if his linemates had finished on the chances he provided, he'd have a much higher point total (yes, this is the same arguement used previously by Hodgson supporters).

The other guys on the line are also pretty good at generating offense, even without an offensive minded center. Even when Hodgson was still here their chances were more often as a result of good checking on their part rather than a from a play started by Hodgson.

Would the Canucks have liked to have another excellent two-way player like Kesler as their 3rd line center? Sure, and maybe they'll get one in after the season is over. At the trade deadline, they had to choose between a guy who might provide offense but had lots of question marks about his defense or a guy who will likely prevent the other team from scoring as often, but would provide less of a scoring threat. I think they made the correct choice.

regards,

G.

Archived