Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

3 Scoring Lines Or 2 Scoring + 2 Shutdown Checking Lines ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#61 tayloreg

tayloreg

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Well, it worked up until the finals.

Last year the team did not have quite the same level of talent or size on the bottom six and they also had to deal with injuries to Samuelsson, Malhotra and Higgins. Each of these would weaken the bottom six in that someone from the bottom six had to fill in for Samuelsson, Malhotra came back perhaps too early and was less effective than he might have been, and Higgins played injured which reduced his effectiveness.

Some folks believe that Hodgson would be the difference in the Canucks winning the Cup this year. I believe they may indeed have been correct, just not in the manner which they were anticipating. I suspect that Hodgson would not have scored much, and would have been less than effective in a defensive capacity.

regards,
G.

Yeah, 2+2 worked until the finals, sure, but the point is that the Canucks don't presently have even 2 scoring lines, forget about 3. Offense has got to be a concern, not because of question marks on the make-up of the 3rd line, but because the top two aren't getting anything done.

You've brought Hodgson into this again, so I'll bite - if last year's playoffs proved anything, it is that ONE player CAN make a huge difference in the playoffs; Kesler carried the team through a whole series as I recall! But where is he now? Forget worrying about Hodgson (who, incidentally, is doing quite well now that he's not be so-called "sheltered", both offensively and defensively) - where is Kesler, with a 7 games pointless? Where is Henrik, who hasn't scored in 18 games, and only has 3 since the new year?

I'm not one of those saying Hodgson could have been our salvation, I'm one of those saying that we presently don't have even 2 scoring lines, so who cares if the 3rd can shut other teams down - we need them to score, and yeah, Hodgson is not only better offensively than the guys we've got on the Canucks' 3rd line right now, he's obviously not nearly as weak defensively as he was treated when here (or he wouldn't be doing so well on the PK for Sabres so suddenly!;-)).

Anyhow, I'm not bashing Kesler or Henrik or Pahlsson or Hansen, etc. Nor am I wistfully imagining Hodgson hadn't been traded (again, FORGET HODGSON!!). I'm only concerned that while the Canucks have apparently mastered having 4 shut down lines, without our "star" offensive players putting up some points, can't see the playoff grind working in the Canucks favour.

For what it's worth, I play D, 4-5 games a week, and am always harping on the forwards to realize that half the game is keeping the puck out of our net. The other half though, is offense - and it's hard to see the Canucks getting very far without more of that!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.