Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Time To Ban Smoking In Public

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Time To Ban Smoking In Public (104 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Vancouver Ban Public Smoking?

1. YES, there is nothing more obnoxious (50 votes [49.02%])

Percentage of vote: 49.02%

2. NO, Smokers are already persecuted enough (32 votes [31.37%])

Percentage of vote: 31.37%

3. Voted WHATEVER - why would this even bother you? (20 votes [19.61%])

Percentage of vote: 19.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I know many people are militant on both sides of this issue, but in my opinion it is time to ban public smoking in Vancouver. Last year they took the step of banning smoking in public parks; that is: "to inhale, exhale, burn, or carry a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, hookah pipe, or other lighted smoking equipment that burns tobacco or other weed or substance."

Frankly it is at the very least obnoxious, even if you don't take the health risks of second hand smoke seriously. I can't stand having to walk down the street while someone walking half a block in front of me is emitting noxious smells. Smokers want rights, but what about my right to not be assaulted with your goddamn cigarette smoke? Do you even realize how intolerable you are being?

This may seem a little extreme but I've had to hold my breath walking down the sidewalk in this city one too many times and I've had enough. It is time for an outright ban.

Thoughts? I'm sure you've got some...

Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#2 Bure 17

Bure 17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

I smoke 420's whilst walking down Robson whistling up a storm.

#3 Lewah

Lewah

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Take the stick out of your ass. It doesn't smell that bad.
muskit blau

#4 Bure 17

Bure 17

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Take the stick out of your ass. It doesn't smell that bad.

Eww no way that stick would smell bad

#5 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

I wouldn't complain but I doubt it will happen.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#6 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

I know many people are militant on both sides of this issue, but in my opinion it is time to ban public smoking in Vancouver. Last year they took the step of banning smoking in public parks; that is: "to inhale, exhale, burn, or carry a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, hookah pipe, or other lighted smoking equipment that burns tobacco or other weed or substance."

Frankly it is at the very least obnoxious, even if you don't take the health risks of second hand smoke seriously. I can't stand having to walk down the street while someone walking half a block in front of me is emitting noxious smells. Smokers want rights, but what about my right to not be assaulted with your goddamn cigarette smoke? Do you even realize how intolerable you are being?

This may seem a little extreme but I've had to hold my breath walking down the sidewalk in this city one too many times and I've had enough. It is time for an outright ban.

Do you?

#7 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

I don't know if a law is the solution or will work but people who smoke having a little more courtsey would be really nice.

Walking past you as you smoke and then having you blow smoke in my general direction isn't very nice.

Also standing as close as possible to a buildings entrance (because it's cold/raining outside) is a mega piss off.

Don't get mad at me when I cuss you out.
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I realize second hand smoke is bad for you but just catching a whiff once in a while walking down the street won't kill you. There are a lot of other fumes out there that could be just as harmful. If you're stuck at a bus stop with someone who's smoking, you could always just ask them to move away until they finish. I also get annoyed when I have to breathe in other people's fumes but in the end there are always inconsiderate people out there and you can't just ban every little thing that annoys you.

#9 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Do you?

Yes, because posting a hot button issue is annoying. :rolleyes: You have a choice whether or not to read, I don't have a choice whether or not to breathe.
I figured this might get the temperature up a little. I honestly do wonder why people defend the act so passionately, though I am not at all surprised. Public drinking is banned (and note that I am differentiating that from public intoxication) and yet not many people question that.
Also, to another poster... I don't think I'd find sucking a tailpipe any more pleasant, thank you.
Posted Image

#10 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

I don't know if a law is the solution or will work but people who smoke having a little more courtsey would be really nice.

Walking past you as you smoke and then having you blow smoke in my general direction isn't very nice.

Also standing as close as possible to a buildings entrance (because it's cold/raining outside) is a mega piss off.

Don't get mad at me when I cuss you out.

Don't get mad when a nicotine deprived smoker... :P

Frankly, I don't know where you people are meeting all these rude smokers. I've been smoking since I was 13, and I always stand away from groups. I was raised to be polite, just because I'm a smoker doesn't change that (but if it's rude of me to smoke at all, then kiss my ass). However, when people start complaining about smelling my smoke, rather than inhaling it from my blowing it in their face, that gets to me. I don't complain when I smell perfume I don't like, or when someone stinks. Grow up and accept that there are smells in this world that will offend your senses.

Edited by Scorpio Ego, 28 March 2012 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#11 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Frankly, I don't know where you people are meeting all these rude smokers. I've been smoking since I was 13, and I always stand away from groups. I was raised to be polite, just because I'm a smoker doesn't change that (but if it's rude of me to smoke at all, then kiss my ass). However, when people start complaining about smelling my smoke, rather than inhaling it from my blowing it in their face, that gets to me. I don't complain when I smell perfume I don't like, or when someone stinks. Grow up and accept that there are smells in this world that will offend your senses.

I always make sure Im away from non smokers.. or if Im walking down a sidewalk I'll make sure not to take a drag while someone is walking by.

#12 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

lol wow..... if you can't beat'em .. join them. dont like it? find alternative ways to get around. I heard you can buy a car and make your own rules! :D.

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#13 PredsFanFromLa

PredsFanFromLa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

here in louisiana we have a LA Smoke-Free Act:

http://tobaccofreeli...act-815---fines

#14 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Smelling smoke is my issue, but there are many others associated with public smoking. In their decision to ban smoking in public parks a major factor was the sheer amount of litter created by butts. Clearly there are health issues as well as there hasn't been a minimum threshold determined for a "safe" amount of secondhand smoke. These are secondary to me personally since I know that we're exposed to many other environmental health hazards as well.
I am also more than willing to admit that people like you do exist and I thank you, but the truth is that the majority of smokers just light up and many get as defensive as people on this board seem to be if you ask them to bugger off. Frankly it is going to be up to legislation to see a major shift.
Posted Image

#15 Pavel Bure#10

Pavel Bure#10

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

smh this is just...no
Posted Image Posted Image

#16 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

haha

I guess you're right rude people are rude regardless if they smoke or not.
But I think it's just the world is now, no one gives a frack about other people.

I don't care if it smells, I just don't want to breath it in.
Tho there are a few people here in our building that absolutely reek like smoke, and sharing an elevator with them is horrible
Same can be said about people who I'm pretty sure bathe in perfume/cologne.
And I'm the one who gets into trouble for taking the elevator with no pants on, huh go figure.

Edited by lateralus, 28 March 2012 - 05:08 PM.

CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

I have to smell liquid cow crap all day from the farms down the road. Want some cheese with your whining?
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#18 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

And I'm the one who gets into trouble for taking the elevator with no pants on, huh go figure.

The world is a cruel, unforgiving place. :sadno:
Posted Image

#19 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

LOLUMADBRO?

Where ARE people supposed to smoke then?

#20 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have to smell liquid cow crap all day from the farms down the road. Want some cheese with your whining?

Cow crap is necessary for food production...
Smoking is necessary for...

You can call me princess all you like but frankly smokers are the ones that seem to be turning into the kids stamping their feet and getting red in the face.
Posted Image

#21 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

LOLUMADBRO?

Where ARE people supposed to smoke then?

Home.

I also have no problem suggesting by-laws be re-written to allow smokers designated areas whether they be segregated rooms in pubs or segregated areas outdoors.

Edited by YaK, 28 March 2012 - 05:14 PM.

Posted Image

#22 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

frankly frankly frankly ... lol ur new name is frankly

10f3wcl.jpg

#23 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yes, because posting a hot button issue is annoying. :rolleyes: You have a choice whether or not to read, I don't have a choice whether or not to breathe.
I figured this might get the temperature up a little. I honestly do wonder why people defend the act so passionately, though I am not at all surprised. Public drinking is banned (and note that I am differentiating that from public intoxication) and yet not many people question that.
Also, to another poster... I don't think I'd find sucking a tailpipe any more pleasant, thank you.

Nope, but we all get the second hand effect from tailpipes (including your personal one or does yours not stink?) regardless.

#24 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Cow crap is necessary for food production...
Smoking is necessary for...

You can call me princess all you like but frankly smokers are the ones that seem to be turning into the kids stamping their feet and getting red in the face.

Give me a call when the legislation against stinky feet is passed. How bout bad breath? Body odor? Where does it end. ZOMG, I got a whiff of smoke.CANCER ALERT! There's a lot more worse things floating around than a little tobacco smoke that you should be worried about.

Edited by canucks since 77, 28 March 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#25 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

k well this topic is lameee... me going for a walk.. maybe ill light up a fat cigar and wait for a bus.

10f3wcl.jpg

#26 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

frankly frankly frankly ... lol ur new name is frankly

Frankly, that's a good call.

Nope, but we all get the second hand effect from tailpipes (including your personal one or does yours not stink?) regardless.

I don't drive in the city, but they do have regulations and bylaws regarding what comes out of your tailpipe. AirCare may be controversial but it is in place specifically for health and environmental reasons.
Posted Image

#27 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Except at the many restaurants, bars, GM place. You know, all the places it might be nice to have a smoke!

The liquor laws are as rediculous as your proposed smoking laws. If your wondering how good they are at stopping public drunkness google "Vancouver riot 2011" and you can see.....

#28 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Frankly, that's a good call.

I don't drive in the city, but they do have regulations and bylaws regarding what comes out of your tailpipe. AirCare may be controversial but it is in place specifically for health and environmental reasons.

The amount of emissions from your cleanest car will dwarf the emissions of a single cigarette. The only reason THAT doesn't offend you is the smell burned out that particular detector a long time ago.

There's no leg to stand on pollution wise. Just say what you mean. Smoking should be banned outright.

All I can say is your gradual move to prohibition is just as useless as actual prohibition.

#29 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Except at the many restaurants, bars, GM place. You know, all the places it might be nice to have a smoke!

The liquor laws are as rediculous as your proposed smoking laws. If your wondering how good they are at stopping public drunkness google "Vancouver riot 2011" and you can see.....

I'm aware that enforcement is an issue, but that doesn't change the fact that I think there should be something on the books.
I don't particularly care if you smoke (or what you smoke, for that matter) just don't make me smoke it too. The concession that may have to be made for smokers is that private companies such as pubs can offer segregated rooms for you (and that includes segregated from the workers at these establishments, you've got to go get your own drink).
Posted Image

#30 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Trying to back addicts into a corner is never a wise move.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.