The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time To Ban Smoking In Public

YaK

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know many people are militant on both sides of this issue, but in my opinion it is time to ban public smoking in Vancouver. Last year they took the step of banning smoking in public parks; that is: "to inhale, exhale, burn, or carry a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, hookah pipe, or other lighted smoking equipment that burns tobacco or other weed or substance."

Frankly it is at the very least obnoxious, even if you don't take the health risks of second hand smoke seriously. I can't stand having to walk down the street while someone walking half a block in front of me is emitting noxious smells. Smokers want rights, but what about my right to not be assaulted with your goddamn cigarette smoke? Do you even realize how intolerable you are being?

This may seem a little extreme but I've had to hold my breath walking down the sidewalk in this city one too many times and I've had enough. It is time for an outright ban.

Thoughts? I'm sure you've got some...

I know many people are militant on both sides of this issue, but in my opinion it is time to ban public smoking in Vancouver. Last year they took the step of banning smoking in public parks; that is: "to inhale, exhale, burn, or carry a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, hookah pipe, or other lighted smoking equipment that burns tobacco or other weed or substance."

Frankly it is at the very least obnoxious, even if you don't take the health risks of second hand smoke seriously. I can't stand having to walk down the street while someone walking half a block in front of me is emitting noxious smells. Smokers want rights, but what about my right to not be assaulted with your goddamn cigarette smoke? Do you even realize how intolerable you are being?

This may seem a little extreme but I've had to hold my breath walking down the sidewalk in this city one too many times and I've had enough. It is time for an outright ban.

I don't know if a law is the solution or will work but people who smoke having a little more courtsey would be really nice.

Walking past you as you smoke and then having you blow smoke in my general direction isn't very nice.

Also standing as close as possible to a buildings entrance (because it's cold/raining outside) is a mega piss off.

Don't get mad at me when I cuss you out.

I realize second hand smoke is bad for you but just catching a whiff once in a while walking down the street won't kill you. There are a lot of other fumes out there that could be just as harmful. If you're stuck at a bus stop with someone who's smoking, you could always just ask them to move away until they finish. I also get annoyed when I have to breathe in other people's fumes but in the end there are always inconsiderate people out there and you can't just ban every little thing that annoys you.

I don't know if a law is the solution or will work but people who smoke having a little more courtsey would be really nice.

Walking past you as you smoke and then having you blow smoke in my general direction isn't very nice.

Also standing as close as possible to a buildings entrance (because it's cold/raining outside) is a mega piss off.

Don't get mad at me when I cuss you out.

Don't get mad when a nicotine deprived smoker... :P

Frankly, I don't know where you people are meeting all these rude smokers. I've been smoking since I was 13, and I always stand away from groups. I was raised to be polite, just because I'm a smoker doesn't change that (but if it's rude of me to smoke at all, then kiss my ass). However, when people start complaining about smelling my smoke, rather than inhaling it from my blowing it in their face, that gets to me. I don't complain when I smell perfume I don't like, or when someone stinks. Grow up and accept that there are smells in this world that will offend your senses.

Frankly, I don't know where you people are meeting all these rude smokers. I've been smoking since I was 13, and I always stand away from groups. I was raised to be polite, just because I'm a smoker doesn't change that (but if it's rude of me to smoke at all, then kiss my ass). However, when people start complaining about smelling my smoke, rather than inhaling it from my blowing it in their face, that gets to me. I don't complain when I smell perfume I don't like, or when someone stinks. Grow up and accept that there are smells in this world that will offend your senses.

Archived