The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time To Ban Smoking In Public

YaK

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What an ignorant thing to say. So if perfumes (full of carcinogens) only indirectly affect your health you're cool with that? I'd say they affect your health about as directly as smelling cigarette smoke. I hope you don't use cologne/perfume, Febreze or air freshener, or anything scented. Those are all made up of chemicals, most of which are carcinogens that you choose to breathe into your delicate lungs.

Smoking, although an addiction and an unhealthy habit for me, kept me going through one of the worst times in my life. To say that they were unnecessary would be self-righteous and biased, as they were good for my mental health at the time.

Yes, totally agree. Don't know why people smoke; it's much easier and faster to commit suicide then to inhale hundreds of drugs a cigar at a time, and then die with cancer, the many various ones you can/may/will get as a smoker.

And it's just horrible when your walking with a young one especially, and you walk by a smoker - that cr@p can really affect a child, and anyone in general. I just start coughing loudly as hell when I walk by a smoker; makes them feel ashamed of what they are, and others around can see what it can do to you. PS, I hold my breath/ don't inhale when I walk by a smoker - 2nd handing that sh!t is the worst!

....suck on something else for a change. Smokers should be ashamed at how much they affect others when they smoke.

I think that it's time to get rid of the Canucks. Hockey fans in those obnoxious blue jerseys are always wandering around downtown being drunk and loud, honking their car horns, and getting into fights. Hockey analysis is all over the TV, the newspapers and the radio, and my coworkers are always trying to talk to me about how the team is doing. I can't get away from it. I couldn't care less about the Canucks, and I shouldn't have to hear about them. And why are the Canucks necessary anyway? The only thing they bring to this city is the occasional riot.

Yes, totally agree. Don't know why people smoke; it's much easier and faster to commit suicide then to inhale hundreds of drugs a cigar at a time, and then die with cancer, the many various ones you can/may/will get as a smoker.

And it's just horrible when your walking with a young one especially, and you walk by a smoker - that cr@p can really affect a child, and anyone in general. I just start coughing loudly as hell when I walk by a smoker; makes them feel ashamed of what they are, and others around can see what it can do to you. PS, I hold my breath/ don't inhale when I walk by a smoker - 2nd handing that sh!t is the worst!

....suck on something else for a change. Smokers should be ashamed at how much they affect others when they smoke.

As much as I'd like to see smoking banned all together let alone banned in public, it's a pretty slippery slope. After smoking ban for the good of our health what comes next? Ban butter? You can't really restrict peoples personal freedoms like that but you can restrict it in situations when it negatively affects others around a smoker.

A lot of the anti-smoking laws are backlash due to lack of courtesy and common sense among smokers. We shouldn't need laws banning smoking in a car when ther are children in the car, common sense should kick in at this point. Smoking deadens the sense of smell and taste so most smokers don't realize how much the smoke stinks and how long it lingers in the air and penetrates into everything. Prior to the smoking bans in bars I would go out for a few drinks, maybe 2 hours or so in the bar, the next morning the clothes I was wearing as well as my hair and skin reeked of smoke, and I have never smoked, that is from the air in the bar, when I worked in the mill I could always tell when Jon worked the prior shift because the trailer smelt like an ashtray, and his shift ended an hour and a half before I started. Some of the bans seem to have gone overboard, but I do feel there should not be smoking in places where food is served or inside buildings open to the genral public, especially kids, outdoors isn't a problem, but please don't congragate around the door forcing everyone entering or leaving to walk through your toxic cloud, and take the responsibility to dispose of your smoking materials properly, don't just toss it out the car window or on the ground.

Actually I do not use any extra colognes or air fresheners. Again when you say they are full of carcinogens, which they are, it is not in the same amount second hand smoke is, which is fully carcinogens.

And they are unnecessary because while you're only solving the craving for your addiction, you are also cutting your life down. Smoking in public which gives a lot of people unnecessary health risks, which may help you mentally (really doesn't) is self-righteous.

I know your lungs are going to be all, "Well, there are only a few carcinogens in here. Like, whatevs." I think you need to read up on cigarettes (such as what second-hand smoke is made of) and nicotine before you claim to have an opinion. For you to say that nicotine "really doesn't" have any positive mental effects is also ignorant. Nicotine acts as a stimulant and a relaxant. It is very calming when one is stressed out.

I have never been a smoker who blows my cigarette smoke into the faces of others. I hold my smoke away from people and avoid inhaling if I know I will be near someone. It's not rocket science; it is courtesy. To accuse me of putting my nasty chemicals in the lungs of others is saying that I'm rude and have no manners, and I beg to differ.

You have a smug streak a mile wide. Whoopty-doo, you don't smoke. Quit painting all smokers as rude and inconsiderate and solely responsible for all of the lung cancer in the world. It just isn't so.

I know your lungs are going to be all, "Well, there are only a few carcinogens in here. Like, whatevs." I think you need to read up on cigarettes (such as what second-hand smoke is made of) and nicotine before you claim to have an opinion. For you to say that nicotine "really doesn't" have any positive mental effects is also ignorant. Nicotine acts as a stimulant and a relaxant. It is very calming when one is stressed out.

I have never been a smoker who blows my cigarette smoke into the faces of others. I hold my smoke away from people and avoid inhaling if I know I will be near someone. It's not rocket science; it is courtesy. To accuse me of putting my nasty chemicals in the lungs of others is saying that I'm rude and have no manners, and I beg to differ.

You have a smug streak a mile wide. Whoopty-doo, you don't smoke. Quit painting all smokers as rude and inconsiderate and solely responsible for all of the lung cancer in the world. It just isn't so.

Why are people focusing solely on the worst possible, least likely scenario of carcinogens? Yes these are possibilities that get amplified by inhalation of second hand smoke but second hand smoke affects the respiratory system in so many other ways, and far more often.. the examples I gave of bronchitis, CPD, emphysema, are merely a few. Not surprisingly, some will find a way to minimize this, the cologne/perfume analogy was quite a hoot. Any wonderment why cig smoking in public has been getting so much restrictive attention? Most people don't even know the impact second hand smoke has, then you have those that outright deny it has any. Amazing.

Why are people focusing solely on the worst possible, least likely scenario of carcinogens? Yes these are possibilities that get amplified by inhalation of second hand smoke but second hand smoke affects the respiratory system in so many other ways, and far more often.. the examples I gave of bronchitis, CPD, emphysema, are merely a few. Not surprisingly, some will find a way to minimize this, the cologne/perfume analogy was quite a hoot. Any wonderment why cig smoking in public has been getting so much restrictive attention? Most people don't even know the impact second hand smoke has, then you have those that outright deny it has any. Amazing.

Car drivers feel very passionately about what they do. They will rationalize by diverting the attention to other unrelated and unproven health risks in order to feel better about their own health. My friends who drive tell me about how its like a drop in the bucket when really its much more than a drop.

Time to ban driving (ª¿ª)

Nothing more rude than an a$$hole with a cigarette blowing it in your direction.

If you're going to smoke, please refrain from blowing it directly in my path. I choose to not smoke for a reason. Clearly I don't enjoy breathing in all of those toxins.

AMEN to that OP; I think in most places it's already kind of unwritten that smoking does not fit with the etiquette so most people don't do it, but I hate it when I'm walking behind someone and the smoke and sparks billow backwards being carried by the breeze and so I have to get out of the way and walk around where it's been-- THAT'S how much I care about my health.

P.S. the cigarette packets don't lie-- your lungs WILL look like that after awhile if you keep it up! In the meantime I'd like my fresh air

Smokes can be cautious of where they blow their smoke. My smoking friends ask me if they can smoke in front of me before they light one up. They're not ignorant douches who don't care about other people. The only ones that are ignorant are the 15 middle/high school students who just start off and think they're Al Capone.

If we are to ban smoking in public because it affects people around, why shouldn't we ban McDonalds at the same time? I'm sure it affects the vegetarians around. Might as well ban all restaurants who serve meat.

Catch my drift? Banning something because YOU don't like it is illogical, selfish, and dumb. Look at something from other's view, not just your tunnel vision mind.

Archived