Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Time To Ban Smoking In Public

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Time To Ban Smoking In Public (104 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Vancouver Ban Public Smoking?

1. YES, there is nothing more obnoxious (50 votes [49.02%])

Percentage of vote: 49.02%

2. NO, Smokers are already persecuted enough (32 votes [31.37%])

Percentage of vote: 31.37%

3. Voted WHATEVER - why would this even bother you? (20 votes [19.61%])

Percentage of vote: 19.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Yes, because posting a hot button issue is annoying. :rolleyes: You have a choice whether or not to read, I don't have a choice whether or not to breathe.
I figured this might get the temperature up a little. I honestly do wonder why people defend the act so passionately, though I am not at all surprised. Public drinking is banned (and note that I am differentiating that from public intoxication) and yet not many people question that.
Also, to another poster... I don't think I'd find sucking a tailpipe any more pleasant, thank you.

Don't mind the smokers, they are way too defensive and it's not their fault. As being addicted to any drug, will make most people at least a little grumpy. Holding my breath or running in front of someone hacking a butt in front of me is the norm. I suppose it's a minor inconvenience to us non-smokers, in comparison to putting addicts through withdrawal.

If people like you and I can be smart enough to not smoke in the first place. We can be smart enough to deal with it in public. Just a matter of holding your breath and maybe skipping ahead of someone puffing chemicals behind them. Another trick is to get some nice cologne under your shirt and just pull your shirt up to your nose.

Edited by Special Ed, 28 March 2012 - 05:35 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#32 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

OP. I would love for you to go anywhere outside Vancouver and complain. Pick any city in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe etc. and just observe how well non-smokers have it on the West Coast of North America. I think only San Fransico is the only city ahead of Vancouver for its persecution of smokers. Even in places such as Oslo or Stockholm, people smoke all over, even in cafes outside.

If you wish, however, I can send you some goggles and a nose plug, or perhaps even a gas mask.

#33 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

The amount of emissions from your cleanest car will dwarf the emissions of a single cigarette. The only reason THAT doesn't offend you is the smell burned out that particular detector a long time ago.

There's no leg to stand on pollution wise. Just say what you mean. Smoking should be banned outright.

All I can say is your gradual move to prohibition is just as useless as actual prohibition.

Even cars have a purpose to an end. I'm not making the environmental argument personally (though I am sure that's the number one reason for a lot of people); I sail ships that burn 20 tonnes of heavy fuel oil a day for Christ's sake. At least those have a purpose as well.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#34 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Even cars have a purpose to an end. I'm not making the environmental argument personally (though I am sure that's the number one reason for a lot of people); I sail ships that burn 20 tonnes of heavy fuel oil a day for Christ's sake. At least those have a purpose as well.

The purpose is to make the smoker happy.

I very rarely have a cigarette but will be sure to tonight after the game (in the crowd!) in your honour.

#35 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

OP. I would love for you to go anywhere outside Vancouver and complain. Pick any city in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe etc. and just observe how well non-smokers have it on the West Coast of North America. I think only San Fransico is the only city ahead of Vancouver for its persecution of smokers. Even in places such as Oslo or Stockholm, people smoke all over, even in cafes outside.

If you wish, however, I can send you some goggles and a nose plug, or perhaps even a gas mask.

Just get this princess an iron lung and keep him away from everyone. That way nobody will offend his senses ever again.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#36 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

The purpose is to make the smoker happy.

I very rarely have a cigarette but will be sure to tonight after the game (in the crowd!) in your honour.

Have Fun
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#37 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Don't mind the smokers, they are way too defensive and it's not their fault. As being addicted to any drug, will make most people at least a little grumpy. Holding my breath or running in front of someone hacking a butt in front of me is the norm. I suppose it's a minor inconvenience to us non-smokers, in comparison to putting addicts through withdrawal.

If people like you and I can be smart enough to not smoke in the first place. We can be smart enough to deal with it in public. Just a matter of holding your breath and maybe skipping ahead of someone puffing chemicals behind them.

Well pardon me for being born in a time when smoking was the norm, even encouraged.

Edited by canucks since 77, 28 March 2012 - 05:37 PM.

Politeness is the first step to respect!

#38 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Well pardon me for being born in a time when smoking was the norm, even encouraged.

Ironic given the new entitlement generation is systematically overweight, so much so they are projected to have shorter lifespans then their smoking drinking elders.

#39 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Japan had a really great way of dealing with this. They had designated smoking areas every few blocks and at public sites/parks. Maybe it was just Japanese culture, but everyone was very respectful and would only smoke in these areas.

#40 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Get them the hell away from bus stops.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#41 Pride

Pride

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Going through life must be tough as a little princess. Get over your sense of self importance and shut the fark up. If you think second hand smoke is bad, go bitch about car exhaust first.

Posted Image

#42 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

I haven't had a smoke in a while. :lol:

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#43 Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

how is marijuana still illegal... -_-
Posted Image
Thanks to Rozzy91 for the sig and Marleau 12 for the avatar

#44 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,557 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

As gross of a habit as it is, they've banned it everywhere else, I really doubt you'll see it banned in public.

I am more offended people smoking pot in public as it smells like a cross between urine and rotting vegetables. I'm sorry I'm not in that dire need of getting stoned. If it was in a pill form or something it would at least be tolerable.

Waste of a product that could be better used for clothing or rope.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 28 March 2012 - 08:02 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#45 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Take the stick out of your ass. It doesn't smell that bad.

Second-hand smoke says hi.

Edited by Bure1994Mclean, 28 March 2012 - 08:55 PM.

OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#46 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm all for that. Give smokers their own designated areas where I don't have to be exposed to their disgusting fumes.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#47 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Smokers are the shallowest people. They started smoking, because their friends pressured them into it. They will never get an ounce of sympathy out of me.

Second hand smoke is dangerous for kids under 12, and has been proven to reduce lung compacity, and cause a number other of issues later in life.

Edited by Kamero89, 28 March 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#48 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

Smokers are the shallowest people. They started smoking, because their friends pressured them into it. They will never get an ounce of sympathy out of me.

Second hand smoke is dangerous for

Smokers are shallow? Oh do explain, I'd love to hear your rationale for such a statement. And really, you know the reason EVERY smoker started smoking? You must be some kind of savant or something.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 28 March 2012 - 11:48 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#49 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

All of the outdoors should be allowed AFAIC but ANY enclosed space including ones own home and car should be illegal.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#50 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

Give the OP a break, smokers. Jesus. He doesn't want to smell like smoke, so he's a princess? Get off your high horses.
Posted Image

#51 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

Just one more freedom people want to infringe on.

Posted Image

#52 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Smokers will never understand anti-smoking sentiment given that they do on purpose what the anti-smokers can't stand.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#53 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

puff puff pass -=========~~~~

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#54 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

Can't drink in public? Shouldn't be able to smoke either.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#55 Peter Pantsless

Peter Pantsless

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

As a non smoker I think smoking in public is fine, I've got no problems with it.

The real ridiculous thing was letting people smoke inside, but that's been corrected and I'm quite happy about that.

Smoking is perfectly legal and until it isn't I don't think you can really tell people that they can't smoke outside. I don't think there's too much of a health risk by walking through a cloud of smoke for a fraction of a second. If you don't like the smell, there's a ton of things that smell bad, from cars to people. We going to start outlawing them too?

#56 Peter Pantsless

Peter Pantsless

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

All of the outdoors should be allowed AFAIC but ANY enclosed space including ones own home and car should be illegal.

This is even worse than the OP. Being ok with the government deciding what you can and cannot do in your own home is one of the more horrific notions I can think of.

#57 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Just get this princess an iron lung and keep him away from everyone. That way nobody will offend his senses ever again.

Why should you be allowed to endanger the health of those around you? What gives you that right?
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#58 Peter Pantsless

Peter Pantsless

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

Why should you be allowed to endanger the health of those around you? What gives you that right?

Unless a smoker is literally blowing smoke in your face, there's no real danger to one's health here.

And if it really bugs you, it's perfectly avoidable and at best a minor inconvenience to avoid.

#59 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

I'd rather walk behind a hot girl smoking a cigarette than a fatty who smells like roses.

#60 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I'd rather walk behind a hot girl smoking a cigarette than a fatty who smells like roses.

That would be a paradox for me
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.