The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time To Ban Smoking In Public

YaK

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, because posting a hot button issue is annoying. :rolleyes: You have a choice whether or not to read, I don't have a choice whether or not to breathe.

I figured this might get the temperature up a little. I honestly do wonder why people defend the act so passionately, though I am not at all surprised. Public drinking is banned (and note that I am differentiating that from public intoxication) and yet not many people question that.

Also, to another poster... I don't think I'd find sucking a tailpipe any more pleasant, thank you.

Yes, because posting a hot button issue is annoying. :rolleyes: You have a choice whether or not to read, I don't have a choice whether or not to breathe.

I figured this might get the temperature up a little. I honestly do wonder why people defend the act so passionately, though I am not at all surprised. Public drinking is banned (and note that I am differentiating that from public intoxication) and yet not many people question that.

Also, to another poster... I don't think I'd find sucking a tailpipe any more pleasant, thank you.

Except at the many restaurants, bars, GM place. You know, all the places it might be nice to have a smoke!

The liquor laws are as rediculous as your proposed smoking laws. If your wondering how good they are at stopping public drunkness google "Vancouver riot 2011" and you can see.....

OP. I would love for you to go anywhere outside Vancouver and complain. Pick any city in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe etc. and just observe how well non-smokers have it on the West Coast of North America. I think only San Fransico is the only city ahead of Vancouver for its persecution of smokers. Even in places such as Oslo or Stockholm, people smoke all over, even in cafes outside.

If you wish, however, I can send you some goggles and a nose plug, or perhaps even a gas mask.

The amount of emissions from your cleanest car will dwarf the emissions of a single cigarette. The only reason THAT doesn't offend you is the smell burned out that particular detector a long time ago.

There's no leg to stand on pollution wise. Just say what you mean. Smoking should be banned outright.

All I can say is your gradual move to prohibition is just as useless as actual prohibition.

Even cars have a purpose to an end. I'm not making the environmental argument personally (though I am sure that's the number one reason for a lot of people); I sail ships that burn 20 tonnes of heavy fuel oil a day for Christ's sake. At least those have a purpose as well.

OP. I would love for you to go anywhere outside Vancouver and complain. Pick any city in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe etc. and just observe how well non-smokers have it on the West Coast of North America. I think only San Fransico is the only city ahead of Vancouver for its persecution of smokers. Even in places such as Oslo or Stockholm, people smoke all over, even in cafes outside.

If you wish, however, I can send you some goggles and a nose plug, or perhaps even a gas mask.

Don't mind the smokers, they are way too defensive and it's not their fault. As being addicted to any drug, will make most people at least a little grumpy. Holding my breath or running in front of someone hacking a butt in front of me is the norm. I suppose it's a minor inconvenience to us non-smokers, in comparison to putting addicts through withdrawal.

If people like you and I can be smart enough to not smoke in the first place. We can be smart enough to deal with it in public. Just a matter of holding your breath and maybe skipping ahead of someone puffing chemicals behind them.

Japan had a really great way of dealing with this. They had designated smoking areas every few blocks and at public sites/parks. Maybe it was just Japanese culture, but everyone was very respectful and would only smoke in these areas.

Archived