Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Time To Ban Smoking In Public

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Time To Ban Smoking In Public (104 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Vancouver Ban Public Smoking?

1. YES, there is nothing more obnoxious (50 votes [49.02%])

Percentage of vote: 49.02%

2. NO, Smokers are already persecuted enough (32 votes [31.37%])

Percentage of vote: 31.37%

3. Voted WHATEVER - why would this even bother you? (20 votes [19.61%])

Percentage of vote: 19.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

Like I said, I quit over three months ago so no need for a smoke break any longer. Your 'comparison' of "There are many murders comitted every day so no one will mind if I take out the guy complaining about me smoking." to my arguments barely even makes any sense. I'm saying there are too many things on this earth that can kill you or affect your health and that we need to focus on being happy and not stress the little things because stress will kill us quicker in the long run. You're saying it's okay to commit murder because, as you put it, "no one will mind". What a fantasy realm you must live in. How are Prince Caspian, Aslan the Lion and Edmund doing anyway?

Again I will point out that many of what I listed effects anyone in a public space, so yes you must allow smoking to continue or you must get rid of all of those that can effect the public. Good luck telling the world to get rid of their vehicles and their other vices. Healthy or not you are imposing on free will, which is one of the largest threats to Canada I could think of. Sure it seems small now with it just being smoking, but again I will say that it is one very slippery slope and I for one would rather allow people to keep their free will and not dance with the dangers of risking the loss of further rights and freedoms.

You attack the homeless, the drug addicts, the homosexuals, the sex trade workers, the smokers, the alcoholics, the drivers, the restaurants, etc. So tell em sir, who is going to be left to speak up for your freedom and rights when they get attacked? You seriously need to look at the long term affects and consequences of your actions and demands on what seem to be small arguments such as this one. It will snowball.

Why? I don't need to get rid of everything that affects our health at once. That would be asinine. You start with one at a time.

My comparison makes barely any sense? Exactly - for that is exactly the comparison you made. Thanks for proving that.

PS: Sorry, missed where you said you quit. Congrats and stick with it - I've been told you need up to 2 years to be free from it.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#92 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

I really couldn't care less about smoking in public. As long as you're not blowing smoke in my face, have at 'er! There is far worse smells than cigarettes, IMO(coming from an ex-smoker).
Posted Image

#93 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

anti smokers are exactly the same as Hitler

Same as hitler as in wanting to ban cigarettes in public or gassing millions of Jews?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#94 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

anti smokers are exactly the same as Hitler

Same as hitler as in wanting to ban cigarettes in public or gassing millions of Jews?

The thread's been Godwinned..........and it only took 4 pages :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 29 March 2012 - 02:16 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#95 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

It's been proven that CDC isn't mature enough to handle that. ;)

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#96 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

It's also been proven to make double posts a lot easier....  ;) 

Edited by Heretic, 29 March 2012 - 02:20 PM.

Posted Image

#97 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Be courteous and it's no big deal. Also, keep away from commonly frequented places (outside doors, etc.)
Posted Image

#98 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

You be courteous and I'll be courteous. Problem solved!
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#99 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

It's not the annoying - like I said, it's the health concern, especially for our children...I'm sure you wouldn't want me spraying bleach on you as you went to enter a building...

Even if you claim it's for the children the air pollution caused by cigarette smoke IS NEGLIBLE!!!!!

If you love the children push the OAS reforms to 67 starting NOW, introduce a significant enough carbon tax to pay down the budget and increase education spending by 20%, and push the bank of Canada to phase out the record low interest rates.

That will help the children. Pontificating over smoking certainly will not. But most importantly if you actually have children reverse the trends that are eliminating them being independant healthy kids. Make them walk to school. If that's not safe enough for you walk with them.

That will help the children. Complaining about smokers using the children as a reference is self serving. It's already illegal to smoke in places you might be at risk of inhaling even minor amounts of secondary smoke.

#100 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Why? I don't need to get rid of everything that affects our health at once. That would be asinine. You start with one at a time.

My comparison makes barely any sense? Exactly - for that is exactly the comparison you made. Thanks for proving that.

PS: Sorry, missed where you said you quit. Congrats and stick with it - I've been told you need up to 2 years to be free from it.

We hardly made the same point, perhaps you could shed some light on how you figure so?

You don't get rid of them all at once AND you don't really get rid of any of them. It is free will. You can improve technology to make cars run on things that will be less harmful to the planet and cause less or even no pollutants, but you can't tell someone not to drive. You can slap all the warnings on cigarette packs all you want and you can impose a heavy tax on it, but you cannot ban it.

You can get out of the way of a smoker, the by laws cause us to be far enough away from doors that you aren't blocked by or attacked with a bunch of smoke as you go place to place.

If something is bad for someone, it's up to the individual to avoid it or not. You and the rest of society are in no place to decide what is right and wrong for them to do in a public place. This isn't murder or robbery we are talking about here. It is an indulgence. An indulgence that provides the public with billions of tax dollars every year to help create roads, infrastructure, pay public workers and much more. The argument that smokers fill up the hospitals is crap too as more money and resources are wasted by other things such as people who aren't even sick or who don't need serious medical attention, yet go to emergency rooms anyway and slow everything down. Ask anyone who works in a hospital.

At the end of the day, smoking in public a free will exercise that, while might annoy some, funds many essentials that the public needs and is a right we should protect like any other.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#101 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

Even if you claim it's for the children the air pollution caused by cigarette smoke IS NEGLIBLE!!!!!

If you love the children push the OAS reforms to 67 starting NOW, introduce a significant enough carbon tax to pay down the budget and increase education spending by 20%, and push the bank of Canada to phase out the record low interest rates.

That will help the children. Pontificating over smoking certainly will not. But most importantly if you actually have children reverse the trends that are eliminating them being independant healthy kids. Make them walk to school. If that's not safe enough for you walk with them.

That will help the children. Complaining about smokers using the children as a reference is self serving. It's already illegal to smoke in places you might be at risk of inhaling even minor amounts of secondary smoke.

Me and you rarely agree ron, but amen sir.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#102 Busty Ruffles

Busty Ruffles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Even cars have a purpose to an end. I'm not making the environmental argument personally (though I am sure that's the number one reason for a lot of people); I sail ships that burn 20 tonnes of heavy fuel oil a day for Christ's sake. At least those have a purpose as well.

I smoked so I didn't wring the necks of the self-righteous a-holes the non-smokers tend to be. "Purpose to an end" enough for you?

Smokers are a convenient pariah. Unless you're willing to wear headgear (gas mask, air filter or the like) every time you step outdoors, don't put your judgment on a pretty swell and varied group of people. It's hypocrisy if, in this age of such terrible air pollution, the only garbage you're worried about breathing in is the smell of a cigarette. You'd have to be practising some pretty heavy mouth-to-mouth with every smoking stranger in order to actually see the effects of second hand smoke.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Air_pollution Here's all the junk you breathe in on a daily basis.

#103 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

I don't think a ban would work very well. Smokers have more be courteous though and careful about where their smoke is blowing. I swear, smokers downtown are as rude as the bikers (probably the same people).

They should also avoid smoking around their kids. I mean seriously, I can walk away from you if you're smoking but your kid's can't. Some people are so selfish.

Edited by The Situation, 29 March 2012 - 02:56 PM.

Posted Image

#104 Busty Ruffles

Busty Ruffles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Edit: Posted this video off Youtube but then remembered that all of the cussing probably won't go over well. It's a great episode of Bull... with Penn and Teller on second-hand smoke. Worth a watch.

Edited by hockeyville88, 29 March 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#105 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

BEST SMELL IN THE WORLD! ;) :lol:

Posted Image

Honestly, this smells a lot better than cigarettes :sick: . I barely smoke (once a month if not longer, only weed , tried cigarettes once and I won't ever again). I'm not an addict (I only hack butts when I'm in the mood).

If you don't like the smell I suggest you either start smoking or try to avoid them (you probably won't be able too so maybe wear a mask).

THIS ONE: Posted Image

Edited by The Brown Burrows, 29 March 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#106 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

We hardly made the same point, perhaps you could shed some light on how you figure so? You don't get rid of them all at once AND you don't really get rid of any of them. It is free will. You can improve technology to make cars run on things that will be less harmful to the planet and cause less or even no pollutants, but you can't tell someone not to drive. You can slap all the warnings on cigarette packs all you want and you can impose a heavy tax on it, but you cannot ban it. You can get out of the way of a smoker, the by laws cause us to be far enough away from doors that you aren't blocked by or attacked with a bunch of smoke as you go place to place. If something is bad for someone, it's up to the individual to avoid it or not. You and the rest of society are in no place to decide what is right and wrong for them to do in a public place. This isn't murder or robbery we are talking about here. It is an indulgence. An indulgence that provides the public with billions of tax dollars every year to help create roads, infrastructure, pay public workers and much more. The argument that smokers fill up the hospitals is crap too as more money and resources are wasted by other things such as people who aren't even sick or who don't need serious medical attention, yet go to emergency rooms anyway and slow everything down. Ask anyone who works in a hospital. At the end of the day, smoking in public a free will exercise that, while might annoy some, funds many essentials that the public needs and is a right we should protect like any other.

Wrong - there are laws - so you can NOT do whatever you like in a public place.

Free will? Choosing Jesus and believing in God or not is free will. Smoking isn't free will.

While we are on it though, people aren't stupid. So why, after all we know about smoking (like over 30 years now) do new/young people even start?

Posted Image

#107 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Wrong - there are laws - so you can NOT do whatever you like in a public place.

Free will? Choosing Jesus and believing in God or not is free will. Smoking isn't free will.

While we are on it though, people aren't stupid. So why, after all we know about smoking (like over 30 years now) do new/young people even start?

The cliché is that kids start from peer pressure from their "friends". Though it is known by many people to be a stress reliever.

As for the argument of banning perfume, cologne etc., those materials do not directly affect your health like 2nd hand smoke does. Also for banning cars, unlike smoking, they have uses and are necessary in some cases for people.

#108 Pride

Pride

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

idiots itt

#109 DoorKnob

DoorKnob

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

I can't stand the smell of smoke, or more specifically the dirty feeling it gives me in my lungs, and will immediately call out anyone who smokes indoors or too close to an entrance (Especially standing right in a doorway...)

But the problem I have with outdoor smokers isnt the fact that they're allowed to smoke, but that they get a free pass to litter wherever the hell they want. Nothing classes up a joint better than a few dozen smashed butts all over the ground, or a sparking piece of trash tossed out the window on the freeway. This should be littering, no exceptions.

#110 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

I despise smoking and most smokers, but there needs to be some cooperation here. Currenly there's designated places for smoking, there's also laws against being close to certain buildings or facilities or entranceways, or harming the health of children with it, really it doesn't need to go much further.

Edited by zaibatsu, 30 March 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#111 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

I agree with those as well as, I ride a motorbike and I hate it when smokers toss their butts out the window - I've had 1 land in my lap after it bounce on the road and over my bars....

Note: just to add, yes I hate the smell as well, but part of my anti smoking attitude that is due to the fact that I had an uncle die from lung cancer when I was younger...he was, as BB said, a very heavy smoker...

get a faster bike

#112 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

get a faster bike

How about a gun instead?

Posted Image

#113 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

:lol: Banning smoking and banning drugs. Probation on something has never worked and would honestly become the stupidest thing in the world. I don't know why you would even suggest such a thing. If you banned cigaretts it would just lead to another way for organized crime to make money.

I don't smoke but common leave the smokers alone! I've been to countries like China, France, etc.. we're the smoke hell of a lot more than we do, so I wouldn't complain. The whole "second hand smoker" thing is garbage.

Silly silly people :picard:

Edited by warmplate, 30 March 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#114 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

:lol: Banning smoking and banning drugs. Probation on something has never worked and would honestly become the stupidest thing in the world. I don't know why you would even suggest such a thing. If you banned cigaretts it would just lead to another way for organized crime to make money.

I don't smoke but common leave the smokers alone! I've been to countries like China, France, etc.. we're the smoke hell of a lot more than we do, so I wouldn't complain. The whole "second hand smoker" thing is garbage.

I agree with :picard: but for the bold.

Not smoking is really no excuse for ignorance for it's health effects upon others, and a personal addiction with NO benefit whatsoever to the public, in fact, the opposite, is no reason to expose others to this type of health risk unnecessarily.

While second hand smoking isn't as dangerous out in open air in public because of the smoke (particularly the chemicals in said smoke) being somewhat diluted, people misunderstand about factors that predispose one to things like cancer, or even simple ailments/diseases/illnesses that are far more common caused by second hand smoke like bronchitis, or asthma, or emphysema, or general COPD, and also misunderstand that because someone doesn't show those attributes right in front of their face, they believe those people are perfectly fine as they walk away. This type of wilful ignorance is why laws/ordinances had to be made, after education didn't do crap. Public health > individual's addiction.

#115 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

:picard: For not reading the original post and for not even reading the title of the thread. The OP wants smoking in public banned, not smoking banned altogether.

Also, its PROHIBITION not probation.
Posted Image

#116 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't smoke. I've never smoked. I think it is a terrible proposition to ban public smoking outright. We've got better things to worry about than controlling bad habits of others.

Edited by suolucidir, 30 March 2012 - 11:13 AM.

PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#117 TheSnowy1

TheSnowy1

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Be courteous and it's no big deal. Also, keep away from commonly frequented places (outside doors, etc.)

This is how I feel. Especially when there is a sign behind you that states "No smoking within 20 meters of entrances" or something along those lines.
I frequently have to visit hospitals because of my medical disability (Sick Kids/T.General). While most times I come in from underground parking, most time after an appointment, I leave to have lunch, out the front doors.
IT absolutely GRINDS my gears when there is someone hacking a dart right in front of those signs, IN FRONT of a hospital!
Posted Image

College, Bio Medical Engineer. #14 Go Burrows!!!

#118 Busty Ruffles

Busty Ruffles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

As for the argument of banning perfume, cologne etc., those materials do not directly affect your health like 2nd hand smoke does. Also for banning cars, unlike smoking, they have uses and are necessary in some cases for people.

What an ignorant thing to say. So if perfumes (full of carcinogens) only indirectly affect your health you're cool with that? I'd say they affect your health about as directly as smelling cigarette smoke. I hope you don't use cologne/perfume, Febreze or air freshener, or anything scented. Those are all made up of chemicals, most of which are carcinogens that you choose to breathe into your delicate lungs.

Smoking, although an addiction and an unhealthy habit for me, kept me going through one of the worst times in my life. To say that they were unnecessary would be self-righteous and biased, as they were good for my mental health at the time.

Edited by Busty Ruffles, 30 March 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#119 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Cow crap is necessary for food production...
Smoking is necessary for...

You can call me princess all you like but frankly smokers are the ones that seem to be turning into the kids stamping their feet and getting red in the face.

I think that it's time to get rid of the Canucks. Hockey fans in those obnoxious blue jerseys are always wandering around downtown being drunk and loud, honking their car horns, and getting into fights. Hockey analysis is all over the TV, the newspapers and the radio, and my coworkers are always trying to talk to me about how the team is doing. I can't get away from it. I couldn't care less about the Canucks, and I shouldn't have to hear about them. And why are the Canucks necessary anyway? The only thing they bring to this city is the occasional riot.

Props to canuckbuddy for the sig

#120 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

I myself hate smoking, but I don't think it's any of my business to demand that it be banned in public.

Edited by g_bassi13, 30 March 2012 - 01:53 PM.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.