The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Year's Playoffs Will Be The Defining Moment Of Luongo's Career

Sia

Someone mentioned this in another thread and I completely agree with it and thought I'd elaborate on it.

Let's put aside all the Luongo vs Schneider arguments. I'm sure most people here who're fans of both are getting sick of it anyway (including me...) Let's focus on this year and the playoffs...

IMO, Roberto Luongo's career (and not just his Canucks Career) will be defined by his performance in this year's playoffs... He's either going to finally Elevate himself into a HOF Goalie, put himself in the same Class as the greatest goalies of all time like Brodeur, Roy, etc... (Ofcourse he needs to achieve more to be considered as good as them, I just mean that he'd be considered in their Class...) and away from the stigma that He can't win big games and in the meantime, shut his haters up, once and for all... OR he will officially become known as a Great Regular Season goalie who couldn't perform well in the playoffs, who despite his skillset, would have some horrible games and fade away in history books alongside so many other Great Goalies who just failed to live up to their potential...

Now i know some of you might come in here and defend him saying that winning the Gold Medal could be considered the defining moment of his career, that he's already had some amazing playoff games and has shown that he could play very well in big games (just not consistently) and that it can be argued that he's already a HOF Goalie... I won't disagree with you there, but the truth is that there's a great deal of people out there that already consider him a failure (and by failure I mean a Great Goalie who's only good in the regular season and fades away in the playoffs) and this year's playoffs are his last chance to finally prove himself and completely separate himself from the rest of the pack and show that he's truly one of the greatest goalies of all time... And the reason i say this is his last chance is because, thanks to Schneider's emergence and our fans Love/Hate relationship with him (Luongo), I just don't see how he could be our #1 Goalie next year IF he has a bad playoff run...

well the thing is even if he plays the greatest hockey ever seen, and we still lose he will blamed. I mean it's no secret that he is inconsistent in the playoffs, but without offense we cant win. That being sad, i think AV needs to step up at times in the playoffs and play the best goalie no matter what. I mean that game when Luongo let in 8 goals last year? that's bad coaching, i would have replaced him after the 4th at latest....

hes alreaddy proved himself get ogg his case. took us to game 7 of cup finals. he stole plenty playoff games for us last year. we had no business being in game 7 against boston way we were playing defensively and offensively, w/o luongo that series would have been over in 4. people put too much pressure on luongo, hes THE best goalie canucks have EVER had, once hes gone and does huge things for another team, im betting alot of lou haters will regret trading him. you dont appreciate something you have until its gone

well the thing is even if he plays the greatest hockey ever seen, and we still lose he will blamed. I mean it's no secret that he is inconsistent in the playoffs, but without offense we cant win. That being sad, i think AV needs to step up at times in the playoffs and play the best goalie no matter what. I mean that game when Luongo let in 8 goals last year? that's bad coaching, i would have replaced him after the 4th at latest....

He is a great goaltender. What he did in the playoffs last season would have won him a cup on just about any other team considering the joke of an effort they put on the ice in the finals. Injured or not, Luongo was hung out to dry and deserves a cup for what he did.

I agree to an extent. He is still, clearly, one of the better/best goalies of our generation even if he doesn't win the cup this year.

That being said, the NHL playoffs are nothing like the Olympic round robin. The playoffs are the steepest 16 km's of a mountain after grinding out 82 km's of it already. There will always be haters/doubters who discredit him for not having gone all the way. But they're morons if they can't recognize the accomplishments he's made thus far.

I believe in Lu and Blue

:towel:

IMO, Roberto Luongo's career (and not just his Canucks Career) will be defined by his performance in this year's playoffs... He's either going to finally Elevate himself into a HOF Goalie, put himself in the same Class as the greatest goalies of all time like Brodeur, Roy, etc... (Ofcourse he needs to achieve more to be considered as good as them, I just mean that he'd be considered in their Class...) and away from the stigma that He can't win big games and in the meantime, shut his haters up, once and for all... OR he will officially become known as a Great Regular Season goalie who couldn't perform well in the playoffs, who despite his skillset, would have some horrible games and fade away in history books alongside so many other Great Goalies who just failed to live up to their potential...

nah, every yr will be if he hasnt won it yet.

the truth is, the key players havent had break out playoff performances, notably sedins, and kesler, they show up in a series, but not others. SCF is an example where they didn't play up their standards. you talk about lui every yr, but his teammates havent fair any better. the big difference is that a goalie is capable to win an entire series by himself, while without consistent goal tending a team can never win.

i m more confident in our goaltending this year, than in our offense.

this is going to be a real issue. we won the previous game due to a supreme effort between the pipes. There is nothing up front, and imo i am so disappointed with thes holes that were not addressed at deadline, especially on second line.

giving away a 20 goals scorer for nothing is a crazyiest idea i ever see in deadline. Kassian and Gragnani could be not bad in couple years, but right know they are dead weight. (i m not talking about the lost of Hodgson himself, but the lost of a scoring threat before the playoffs...)

so i will not be that surprised with an early exit. to be honest, i will more surprised if we can pull a run like last year. only blind fans dont see the weakness here and there in the lineup and the play the canucks are developping.

i think we arent a skill team since the sedin drop their production, and kesler is trying with heart but he has nos support on his line to help him (i like Booth and his quick legs, but face it, this guy has no hands at all).

we re still a speedy team, but we lost so much pucks, we can't connect two passes, PP drops since Salo s gone to the second unit... we still won games, thx to our one-two punch in G.

at least we have heart, yes.

that's gonna be a little thin this year.

I thought last year was supposed to be his defining moment?

I slammed him pretty hard in a blog after last years SCF collapse, but you know what?

If you don't score, you can't win.

That's what really happened in the SCF last year - we couldn't score.

That's what I'm afraid of this year - not our goalies - both are playing great.

Unless we lose by scores like 6 - 5, I can't see blaming our goalies this playoffs.

That may sound a little too glooming, but I have a feeling the sleeper will awaken this year and the Canucks will win the cup!

I thought last year was. Or the year before. Or the year before.

People only remember Luongo when he isn't the greatest player on the ice, and forget him ever being the best player on it.

Luongo's career-defining moments to him and to the fans of Vancouver and the NHL are going to be completely different because most morons will remember him as that guy who could never make a save. In reality, he's one of the best things to ever happen to this franchise.

Luo and Cory are playing exceptionally brilliant.

They are the least of this team's worries.

However,I do agree with the OP.

I just don't see Kes,Hank,Burr,Booth and others lighting the lamp ,which is kind of important.

Lacking a PP pivot with an Ehrhoff presence is not good,Gillis.

I wouldn't say Hall of Fame class.. More like Mike Vernon, Tom Barrasso, Mike Richter class.. Good goalies who are always steady in the regular season, and have at least 1 cup. Not quite hall of fame, but will always be remembered as a solid, winning, good goaltender

Archived