The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Year's Playoffs Will Be The Defining Moment Of Luongo's Career

Sia

Someone mentioned this in another thread and I completely agree with it and thought I'd elaborate on it.

Let's put aside all the Luongo vs Schneider arguments. I'm sure most people here who're fans of both are getting sick of it anyway (including me...) Let's focus on this year and the playoffs...

IMO, Roberto Luongo's career (and not just his Canucks Career) will be defined by his performance in this year's playoffs... He's either going to finally Elevate himself into a HOF Goalie, put himself in the same Class as the greatest goalies of all time like Brodeur, Roy, etc... (Ofcourse he needs to achieve more to be considered as good as them, I just mean that he'd be considered in their Class...) and away from the stigma that He can't win big games and in the meantime, shut his haters up, once and for all... OR he will officially become known as a Great Regular Season goalie who couldn't perform well in the playoffs, who despite his skillset, would have some horrible games and fade away in history books alongside so many other Great Goalies who just failed to live up to their potential...

Now i know some of you might come in here and defend him saying that winning the Gold Medal could be considered the defining moment of his career, that he's already had some amazing playoff games and has shown that he could play very well in big games (just not consistently) and that it can be argued that he's already a HOF Goalie... I won't disagree with you there, but the truth is that there's a great deal of people out there that already consider him a failure (and by failure I mean a Great Goalie who's only good in the regular season and fades away in the playoffs) and this year's playoffs are his last chance to finally prove himself and completely separate himself from the rest of the pack and show that he's truly one of the greatest goalies of all time... And the reason i say this is his last chance is because, thanks to Schneider's emergence and our fans Love/Hate relationship with him (Luongo), I just don't see how he could be our #1 Goalie next year IF he has a bad playoff run...

well the thing is even if he plays the greatest hockey ever seen, and we still lose he will blamed. I mean it's no secret that he is inconsistent in the playoffs, but without offense we cant win. That being sad, i think AV needs to step up at times in the playoffs and play the best goalie no matter what. I mean that game when Luongo let in 8 goals last year? that's bad coaching, i would have replaced him after the 4th at latest....

While your post is fairly objective, I think the only thing that Luongo can do to get the "haters" off his back is to win the cup. It doesn't matter if he wins 6 consquetive vezina's and goes to 6 more game 7 SC finals which we lose 1-0...haters are going to hate.

As a matter of fact, I think even if he does win the cup this year, the haters will probably only give him a half season or so grace before they're back to complaining about our elite goaltender signed to a great cap hit.

You're definitely correct in the sense that winning a single cup would solidify his future place in the Hall of Fame though. Man I hope we win the cup this year. I am PUMPED!

Cheers,

Ramone

in the playoff you expect your goalie to be good and steal a few games for you... i think Luongo overall last year was good and he stolen more than a few games for us 3 in the SCF alone. You'd think the team would steal a few back for him right? sure you can blame Luongo all you want for letting in the early goal the soft goal or whatever. Great team recovers from that. We didn't. If Luongo is mentally weak because he lets in a bad goal and go on to have bad game. The team is mentally weak too because they get deflated after giving up an early goal and go on to play/poorly?

Archived