Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

This Year's Playoffs Will Be The Defining Moment Of Luongo's Career

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#61 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Someone mentioned this in another thread and I completely agree with it and thought I'd elaborate on it.

Let's put aside all the Luongo vs Schneider arguments. I'm sure most people here who're fans of both are getting sick of it anyway (including me...) Let's focus on this year and the playoffs...

IMO, Roberto Luongo's career (and not just his Canucks Career) will be defined by his performance in this year's playoffs... He's either going to finally Elevate himself into a HOF Goalie, put himself in the same Class as the greatest goalies of all time like Brodeur, Roy, etc... (Ofcourse he needs to achieve more to be considered as good as them, I just mean that he'd be considered in their Class...) and away from the stigma that He can't win big games and in the meantime, shut his haters up, once and for all... OR he will officially become known as a Great Regular Season goalie who couldn't perform well in the playoffs, who despite his skillset, would have some horrible games and fade away in history books alongside so many other Great Goalies who just failed to live up to their potential...

Now i know some of you might come in here and defend him saying that winning the Gold Medal could be considered the defining moment of his career, that he's already had some amazing playoff games and has shown that he could play very well in big games (just not consistently) and that it can be argued that he's already a HOF Goalie... I won't disagree with you there, but the truth is that there's a great deal of people out there that already consider him a failure (and by failure I mean a Great Goalie who's only good in the regular season and fades away in the playoffs) and this year's playoffs are his last chance to finally prove himself and completely separate himself from the rest of the pack and show that he's truly one of the greatest goalies of all time... And the reason i say this is his last chance is because, thanks to Schneider's emergence and our fans Love/Hate relationship with him (Luongo), I just don't see how he could be our #1 Goalie next year IF he has a bad playoff run...

There is no such thing as a career defining moment until a career is over and it can be reflected on . Making your thread pointless
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#62 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

well the thing is even if he plays the greatest hockey ever seen, and we still lose he will blamed. I mean it's no secret that he is inconsistent in the playoffs, but without offense we cant win. That being sad, i think AV needs to step up at times in the playoffs and play the best goalie no matter what. I mean that game when Luongo let in 8 goals last year? that's bad coaching, i would have replaced him after the 4th at latest....

B...S...! on your first point. I agree with the second.
If Lu plays stellar hockey, and we lose games by one goal, and low scoring games, no one other than a few playoff bandwagoners would blame Lu. Despite the complaints on here, Vancouver hockey fans are well informed in the sport, give them some credit.

IMO, Roberto Luongo's career (and not just his Canucks Career) will be defined by his performance in this year's playoffs...

The OP brings up a good observation. Its true that for other years its been said as well, but that only makes it even more crucial this year. I wish and hope Lu goes all the way with us this year, the main reason being that...uh....it means we WON! But the secondary is that fans, management, and Lu himself will feel great about having him here for another decade, and thirdly it will mean that we can safely trade Schneider and get back a terrific asset (Weber anyone?). But there is a point that even the most die-hard Luongo defender will finally have had enough, if Lu has another repeat meltdown in crucial games this playoffs. I don't think he could survive much longer in Vancouver if we lost a playoff round and in the games we lost it was because we quickly got behind by 2, 3, or 4 goals with a few of them being of the smelly kind....despite his NTC.

But I'm not as worried this year as finally Gillis and AV have bought into the 1a and 1b style of goaltending, and I feel more confident this year that AV will pull EITHER goalie for the other if the starting goalie isn't feeling it that night, and do so in time for it to actually matter.

30rw2li.jpg   ..................... Put Gino in the Ring of Honour!  .......................  2hg788l.jpg

#63 Sia

Sia

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

That was also last year. And the year before. And during the Olympics.

I think back then it was more of a CHANCE at a Career Defining Moment for him, meaning if he was able to get us the cup (or the gold Medal which he did) it would be a Career Defining moment for him... This year, it's going to be a Career Defining Moment whether he's successful or not...

#64 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

that is exactly what I concerned right now...
you need SCORE GOALS to win the game.

You can score goals and lose the game too Tan!!!, The main thing is you need to outscore the other opponent to win the game. Doesn't matter if its 10-8 or 1-0.
Tan some of the answers were there in your last thread that you started. And if you even bothered to read what others were trying saying to you instead of believing what you think your opinions are as fact then it would be easier for you to understand.
If you were watching the last game against Colorado they did an interview with Gillis and he may have
some of your answers in the second intermission as to why the offense maybe struggling!
As for AV last year. I Don't think their going to fire the winninest coach in Canuck's history. 5 Division titles , One president's trophy and a trip to the finals in 6 years. Compare that to Barry Troz for Nashville who been there since day one or Lindy Ruff in Buffalo Who have been HC for their respective teams for over ten years. Ask yourself this. Have they done any better then AV??? Mind you Scotty Bowman had Detroit Winning President's trophy and Division titles in his first few years there without winning the cup but nobody seem to want to fire Scotty!

Edited by canacks1970, 30 March 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#65 ramone1984

ramone1984

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

While your post is fairly objective, I think the only thing that Luongo can do to get the "haters" off his back is to win the cup. It doesn't matter if he wins 6 consquetive vezina's and goes to 6 more game 7 SC finals which we lose 1-0...haters are going to hate.

As a matter of fact, I think even if he does win the cup this year, the haters will probably only give him a half season or so grace before they're back to complaining about our elite goaltender signed to a great cap hit.

You're definitely correct in the sense that winning a single cup would solidify his future place in the Hall of Fame though. Man I hope we win the cup this year. I am PUMPED!

Cheers,

Ramone
Thanks for the sig Tv9924!
Posted Image

#66 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Doppler Effect. In six years you will have changed your mind.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#67 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

in the playoff you expect your goalie to be good and steal a few games for you... i think Luongo overall last year was good and he stolen more than a few games for us 3 in the SCF alone. You'd think the team would steal a few back for him right? sure you can blame Luongo all you want for letting in the early goal the soft goal or whatever. Great team recovers from that. We didn't. If Luongo is mentally weak because he lets in a bad goal and go on to have bad game. The team is mentally weak too because they get deflated after giving up an early goal and go on to play/poorly?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.