The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadiens Fire Gm Gauthier

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=624777&navid=DL|NHL|home

The Montreal Canadiens have fired General Manager Pierre Gauthier. No replacement was named.

Canadiens President Geoff Molson will hold a press conference at 11:45 a.m. to discuss the move.

The Canadiens have won just two of their last eight games (2-2-4), and enter Thursday's games 15th in the Eastern Conference and 28th in the League.

Gauthier had held his current position since Feb. 8, 2010, when he replaced Bob Gainey. The Canadiens finished eighth in the Eastern Conference that season, but led by goalie Jaroslav Halak, they upset the Presidents' Trophy-winning Washington Capitals and defending Stanley Cup-champion Pittsburgh Penguins to advance to the conference finals, where they lost in five games to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Last season, the Canadiens finished sixth in the East with 96 points, and after taking a 2-0 first-round lead on the Boston Bruins, fell in seven games to the eventual Stanley Cup champions.

This season, however, things slipped early. When the team won just once in its first eight games, Gauthier responded by firing assistant coach Perry Pearn hours before an Oct. 27 game against thePhiladelphia Flyers. That sparked a four-game win streak, but it didn't last.

Gauthier fired coach Jacques Martin prior to a Dec. 17 game against the New Jersey Devils, replacing him on an interim basis with assistant coach Randy Cunneyworth. However, that decision sparked controversy as Cunneyworth spoke no French.

He wasn't the guy who traded for Gomez. But he was the guy who spent 4.5 million on Eric Cole.

And 99% of the Montreal fans wanted his head when he kept Price and traded Halak...but he sure showed some foresight (not to mention, cajones) on that one.

But in the end, you need to win. He should have never fired Martin, who had got more out of that team in his tenure than should have been possible.

He wasn't the guy who traded for Gomez. But he was the guy who spent 4.5 million on Eric Cole.

And 99% of the Montreal fans wanted his head when he kept Price and traded Halak...but he sure showed some foresight (not to mention, cajones) on that one.

But in the end, you need to win. He should have never fired Martin, who had got more out of that team in his tenure than should have been possible.

Now that Gomez only has 2 years left on his contract, and his salary is far less than his cap hit, it is possible that Montreal can get a team needing to get to the floor to take it on.

Or...at the very least, it is a bit less stomach-turning of a salary to bury in the AHL.

Here's the bio on Julien Brisebois, sounds tailor made for Montreal:

Julien BriseBois enters his second season as assistant general manger of the Tampa Bay Lightning after being named to the position on July 16, 2010. He reports directly to Vice President and General Manager Steve Yzerman and assists him in all aspects of contract preparation and negotiation, salary arbitration and player transactions for the Lightning and the Norfolk Admirals of the American Hockey League, for whom he also serves as general manager. BriseBois also manages interpretation of the NHL's collective bargaining agreement and the salary cap for Tampa Bay.

As general manager of the Admirals in 2010-11, BriseBois helped lead the team to the Calder Cup Playoffs after a three-year absence and also for the first time in their affiliation with Tampa Bay. The Admirals finished tied for second in the AHL in offense, scoring 265 goals. BriseBois and the Lightning again restocked Norfolk with prospects and depth signings during the summer of 2011 as they attempt to make their second consecutive playoff appearance in 2011-12.

BriseBois, 34, spent the previous nine seasons with the Montreal Canadiens after joining the organization on September 1, 2001 as Director of Legal Affairs. In July of 2003 he added Director of Hockey Operations to his duties before being named Vice President of Hockey Operations on July 24, 2006. On August 23, 2007 BriseBois was named the general manager of Montreal’s top affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs of the AHL, making him the youngest in the league at the time. During that time he retained his position with the Canadiens. The Bulldogs improved in each year under BriseBois’ tenure, going from 36-34-10 in 2007-08 to 52-17-11 in 2009-10. In three seasons under his guidance Hamilton went 137-78-25.

A native of Greenfield Park, Quebec, BriseBois was employed by the Heenan Blaikie Law Firm before joining Montreal. During that time he worked in the field of sports law, where he represented several NHL and Major League Baseball clubs in arbitration cases as well as acting as an advisor in contract negotiations. BriseBois also participated in the production of legal documents for the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and other motor sports organizations.

BriseBois is a graduate of the Montreal University Faculty of Law and earned a Master’s degree in business administration from the John Molson School of Business at Concordia University. He is a member of the Quebec Bar, the American Bar Association and the Sports Lawyers Association. BriseBois also sits on the AHL Competition Committee and the AHL CBA Committee.

Julien resides in Tampa with his wife, Marie-Claude, and their sons, Justin and Jacob.

BriseBois as GM, Roy as coach. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

While not as "sexy" as the francophone Julien Brisebois would be to Habs fans; I would like to suggest Jim Nill as a potential candidate. Not sure Detroit would let him go, not sure he would want to and also doubt the good people of Quebec would rally around him. (at least not until he proved them wrong!) I do believe he should be considered for any GM vacancies with any team but doubt it will happen there.

ps- for our younger participants- Jim Nill played with the Canucks on the 1982 team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Dear Habs owners

I am writting to express my interest in the vacant General Manager position.  As you will see from my resume I have extensive experience watching hockey and have won the Stanley Cup twice with the Montreal Canadiens in EA Sports NHL12.  I don't speak much french but neither does your coach so it's all good right?  You may contact me by way of CDC to arrange an interview.  For references please see the number of plus votes I have in my profile.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

signed

Langdon Algur

Archived