Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bassboy4

Why Low-Scoring Games Mean We Will Win The Cup

41 posts in this topic

Took the words right out of my mouth. Everybody freaking out here just sit back and enjoy.

While I agree with much of the sentiment you iterate throughout your post, and being able to win tight-checking 1-0 games is a good determinant of how we will do come April-June, as a fan of the "new" NHL and the more up-tempo style of play, I will not enjoy the games as much as the 4-3, 3-1 type of wins.

That being said however, I'm Machiavellian in my philosophy as I'm sure many fans are - I don't care how it happens, I just want a CUP.

Excellent perspective .. and I agree .. we just need to take advantage of the scoring opportunities our "skilled " players get and we will dominate most teams in a seven game series .. :canucks:

Let's just hope the penguins don't make it to the finals. Crosby and malkin will have the refs On their side and they can score no matter what type of tight chEcking game you throw at them.

Let's just hope the penguins don't make it to the finals. Crosby and malkin will have the refs On their side and they can score no matter what type of tight chEcking game you throw at them.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Everybody freaking out here just sit back and enjoy.

The three 5 on 3 Goals were actually in Game 4 against San jose. Kesler, Salo, Salo, Burrows(Even Strength i believe)

The powerplay was rolling in game 2 though. It was a tight game for the most part until the flood gates opened closer to the end

I love watching these low scoring games because 1 goal usually changes everything, where in these 4-1, 5-2 games, a goal for either team usually doesn't mean much.

When your all-star forwards go scoreless for a long, long time, there is no CHOICE but to pray for low-scoring games.

Don't kid yourselves. If these guys don't find a way to score, and quick, then we are going NOWHERE.

What's ironic now is that AV's system under Nonis is now back in full force and applauded. I'm not a fan of Nonis, but it is ironic that we're cheering pretty much the same product that we booed before. Cheers.

TOML

Although I do agree that a this tight checking, low scoring style can equal playoff success I think that the team still needs to fully commit to playing this style if it wants to do it successfully. What I mean is if we want to play this grind it out, shut em down defensive style game, we need to be much better in our own end with turnovers and clearing the zone and we also need to minimize the other teams quality scoring chances and shot totals( which I don't think we have done very well so far).

Yes our goaltending has been great and is gonna have to be if we have any chance of winning a cup this year but we cant rely solely on it to win games like we have the last stretch here. We need to literally give the opposition nothing and capitalize on our chances and in order to play this style effectively instead of just capitalizing on our chances like we are now.

When your all-star forwards go scoreless for a long, long time, there is no CHOICE but to pray for low-scoring games.

Don't kid yourselves. If these guys don't find a way to score, and quick, then we are going NOWHERE.

What's ironic now is that AV's system under Nonis is now back in full force and applauded. I'm not a fan of Nonis, but it is ironic that we're cheering pretty much the same product that we booed before. Cheers.

TOML

Better teams/players will capitalize on multiple chances that LA and Colorado missed on.

Although I do agree that a this tight checking, low scoring style can equal playoff success I think that the team still needs to fully commit to playing this style if it wants to do it successfully. What I mean is if we want to play this grind it out, shut em down defensive style game, we need to be much better in our own end with turnovers and clearing the zone and we also need to minimize the other teams quality scoring chances and shot totals( which I don't think we have done very well so far).

Yes our goaltending has been great and is gonna have to be if we have any chance of winning a cup this year but we cant rely solely on it to win games like we have the last stretch here. We need to literally give the opposition nothing and capitalize on our chances and in order to play this style effectively instead of just capitalizing on our chances like we are now.

I agree that low scoring games prepare us for the playoffs and better suit the new NHL style of play, especially in the playoffs. I especially like that you said blaming Luongo for the losses helps the other teams win because it doesn't address the real issue. But does it guarantee us the Cup? No. There are other good teams out there and it will be a battle no matter what.

as long as we get the 16W's in the playoffs i dont really care how we do it. I find low scoring games a lot more exciting and stressful as i'm always in a panic when the play goes to our end haha. But thats what makes them so good. We can win 5-1, 7-0, 1-0, 2-1..... i dont care. Lets just get the 16 and im happy :)

The defence was crap in the games we got blown out, so were the forwards, PRODUCING ZERO GOALS.

Remember how our scoring was dry in the finals? Do we want that to happen again, no, we only bang in one or two goals and that is not enough because well our goalies have been unreal as of late, but we wont get 16 straight games allowing zero, one or two goals. We need scoring to pick up and if you say no, then your crazy. A team can easily come back and score one goal.

you can steal a few games, but you will never steal Stanley Cup by playing like this

While I agree with much of the sentiment you iterate throughout your post, and being able to win tight-checking 1-0 games is a good determinant of how we will do come April-June, as a fan of the "new" NHL and the more up-tempo style of play, I will not enjoy the games as much as the 4-3, 3-1 type of wins.

That being said however, I'm Machiavellian in my philosophy as I'm sure many fans are - I don't care how it happens, I just want a CUP.