The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Low-Scoring Games Mean We Will Win The Cup

bassboy4

Yes playing defence is great but when you let the other team have 43 shots on goal last game and 33 the game before that, that doesn;t mean that you are really shutting other teams down. What it really is that we have had 2 goalies standing on their heads and playing rock solid.

If we are going to sit back and protect a one goal lead in the playoffs, a team like Boston or Philly will just bulldoze the goalie and the puck into the net. I don't think this stategy will work all that well against a big physical team that plays a disciplined game.

When we get the puck, we have to use our speed when we enter their zone and drive to the net. It is going to take a combination of offence and defence to win the Cup. We can pay much more attention to defence, I am all in favor of that, but just dumping the puck into the oposition end and protecting a one goal lead for 2 1/2 periods is wishful thinking.

mate so impressed you could slot machiavelli into a post about hockey . right on .

oh and by the way agree with most of what the op has to say , wins are wins , and these dour and gruelling tight games are what playoff hockey seem to be, to this observer all the way down under .

Sure we can keep the score low most often than not, but what happens when we need to score goals and we can't. This was the case in the Finals last June, we had two 1-0 shutouts in the SCF series but couldn't score when everything was on the line.

I'm affraid that history will repeat itself, as it's very very possible that we will meet a team in the playoffs that can out defend our team like Boston did in the SCF. St Louis has major potential to do just that, and if we manage to make it past St Louis there is the possibility of a SCF series againt the Rangers who also have the potential to out defend us.

I just wish the Canucks could do both out-score and out-defend the opponent.

Sure we can keep the score low most often than not, but what happens when we need to score goals and we can't. This was the case in the Finals last June, we had two 1-0 shutouts in the SCF series but couldn't score when everything was on the line.

I'm affraid that history will repeat itself, as it's very very possible that we will meet a team in the playoffs that can out defend our team like Boston did in the SCF. St Louis has major potential to do just that, and if we manage to make it past St Louis there is the possibility of a SCF series againt the Rangers who also have the potential to out defend us.

You are comparing this years team to last years? .. think of the changes we have made, then realize that all other teams who are "contenders" made as many "changes" .. that their dynamic, like ours, has changed .. we are a team better designed to play low scoring games than last year .. that is what we are seeing right now .. the culmination of an entire season focused on being more gritty and better balanced, including depth, than we were last year .. now all we must do is apply our strengths .. have faith, grasshopper .. :rolleyes:

Archived