The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymons Value

J.I.A.H.N

Guest The Brown Burrows

Canucks Value: 1.25 - 1.75 million / 1 year contract.

NHL Value: 2.75 - 3.5 million / Multi-year contract.

Really, this is what he is worth. He needs a change of scenery.

I do not see a fit for Mayray on this team next season. We have several players in Chicago with the same skills - good wheels, lack of finish - at way less money. My only issue is that once he is gone, who are the negative nitwits on this board going to hack on next. Maybe get back on Kesler.

Pretty much. Raymond isn't good enough and especially not consistent enough for the top-6 on a contender or strong enough to be a bottom-6 player on a contender. His only value is with a team that needs to a speed element or has a horrible PK (Tampa Bay, CBJ, etc).

I hate when people say 'Raymond is a good defensive player'. It simply isn't true. He is hardly trusted when there's an important defensive draw, he isn't strong enough to knock somebody off the puck and he loses almost every puck battle along the boards. His positioning is fine, but if you can't do much with it.. well, then what is the point?

GOOD PKer DOES NOT = GOOD DEFENSIVE PLAYER 5-ON-5.

The Canucks' PK was doing fine without him when he was hurt and now with Pahlsson the Canucks have many options for the PK and don't really need Raymond.

His value is maybe a late 2nd or a mid 3rd and a 4th on a team that is not a contender and hopes that Raymond can become a more consistent offensive threat and can help their PK. More likely he'll get packaged with Schneider in a bigger trade.

Plus his playoff stats reek, because when the checking gets tight his perimeter moves become useless. Unless he turns a corner this post-season his value is pretty low.

I give the Canucks a lot of credit for how they have dealt with Raymond. In other organizations he may well have already been moved, one way or another.

The biggest issue with Raymond is that his contract was signed with the expectation of him continuing to score as he had in '09 - '10. Obviously he has not lived up to those expectations, back injury not withstanding. Raymond has performed fairly well in other aspects of his game, but not $2.55 million worth.

The next problem is that the team has gotten better with regard to the top-9 wingers currently on the roster. Raymond is not a more desirable option on left wing than D. Sedin, Booth and Higgins, and on the right side there's Burrows and Hansen. The only guy who he might play ahead of on the right wing is Kassian, but only if there was a good reason to make Kassian a healthy scratch, and that window of opportunity for Raymond to show he can still do it is very small. And after the season ends, there will be additional competion from within the organization or via trades or free agent signings.

Playing Raymond on the 4th line just doesn't make sense for the team's cap, and it would make even less sense to keep him around in the press box for injury relief. If one wishes to argue that Malhotra is making $2.5 million and playing on the 4th line, I'd suggest that Raymond has nowhere near the value of Malhotra, even if he is currently playing wing on the 4th line. In addition, depending upon what the team does with Pahlsson in the off season, Malhotra could well be back as 3rd line center next season.

Raymond will likely be a healthy scratch during most, if not all of the playoffs (assuming Sedin's return and no significant injuries to other forwards, or instances of really crappy play). If Raymond does get a shot and plays very well (more than likely on the 4th line), then that might mean that the team will give him one last look.

I'm assuming he will be traded after the season ends, likely for a pick.

regards,

G.

He's a +9 while scoring very little and playing on the third line with a defensively crappy Cody Hodgson (for the majority of the season). If you watch the guy, you will see that he has a very active stick on defense and makes key stick checks to prevent goals.

I'd rather have that and balance out lack of scoring than the opposite.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived