The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting Thought About Why Nhl Teams Hate Us

shimy1

Hey guys, so usually just read various threads but as I was reading about Cory getting and offer sheet this summer I start to think about other Canuck contracts and how other players might feel about them. It is common knowledge that during contract negotiations teams and agents will draw comparisons to try to leverage contracts in there favor. I was thinking many players in the NHL probably hate how every core player on the canucks is signed far below market value as GMs probably point to the team when negotiating.

just to recap the salary.

Burrows yearly 30 goal scorer signed for 2 million

Sedins art ross winners, and 100 point players, signed for 6 million

Luongo one of the top goalies in the league year after year signed for 5.3 million

kesler, 40 goal scorer selke winner one of the top two centers in the game 5 million

Edler at 3.5

bieksa at 4.5

and the list goes on, imagine if your, Scott Hartnall this year going into the offseason and the GM brings of burrows name as a similar player. Why should you get 4 mill when burrows gets 2 million.

I wonder if this is a big thing in player minds.

as far as i can remember, a player cant be brought up for comparison unless the PLAYER brings him up.. a GM cant just say "look what Burrows makes!"

edit: i think i am just remembering salary arbitration.. not free agency or contract extensions etc...

just to recap the salary.

Burrows yearly 30 goal scorer signed for 2 million

Sedins art ross winners, and 100 point players, signed for 6 million

Luongo one of the top goalies in the league year after year signed for 5.3 million

kesler, 40 goal scorer selke winner one of the top two centers in the game 5 million

Edler at 3.5

bieksa at 4.5

We are the most hated because every year around Christmas time we basically have clinched the playoffs, lead the NHL in Goals for every year for a while (Usually top 5), have one of the best differentials between goals for and goals against, have the best PP for 3/4th's of the year and have a top 6 penalty kill team, stellar goaltending most of the year (Schneids is amazing while luong-goal has his bad streaks) and have the bragging rights over the leaf's for the seventh straight year.

Is there really a such thing as an interesting thought about why we're hated? I can only speak for myself but I'm beyond caring at this point. Yes we have annoying players, but we wouldn't be as widely hated if we weren't a contender. In fact I take it as a compliment that teams hate us as opposed to not noticing us at all.

i wonder if we really are hated? When i lived in calgary there was tons of canuck jersyes in the crowd. it seems that there are alot of canuck jerseys in alot of cities actually. I think we arent as hated as they say we are its just a bunch of hype

Archived