The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Recchi Has Something To Say About The Canucks.... Again

Believe-in-blue23

There's nothing contradictory about his two statements.

You can think a team is arrogant and hated and still think they are talented and will do well.

He obviously doesn't like many of the players on the Canucks, but still can recognize that they are a good team.

I have no problem with either of his interviews.

I grew up in Kamloops and met Mark on a handful of occaisions. He's actually a super nice guy who's gone out of his numerous times to talk to people and be friendly with fans, etc.

His comments were definitely out of line, but w/e. There aren't many 20+ year veterans who haven't made a few media gaffes over their career.

I was erked at him when he first made those comments, because for the other 20 years of his career, he's been a pretty good guy.

Forgive and Forget I say.

I know I've spouted off nonsense I've regretted quite a few times in my life....fortunately, I wasn't on television though :)

In my opinion, heckling Recchi if you run into him at a grocery store is pretty low class. The guy has had a hell of a career, 3 cups, appeared in 10 all star games, is darned near a ppg over 1652 games! Nearly 200 play off games...The guy is a legend, and future hall of famer who's known to be a super nice guy if you've ever met him.

It's pretty silly to ignore all the amazing things Recchi has done in his career and focus on a couple of stupid comments which he probably regrets...or at least wishes he phrased differently.

Cheers,

Ramone

I wouldn't hold it against Recchi, he is entitled his opinion, and he is aligned with much of the non-Van hockey world. In my travels across Canada and the US, it blows me away how much we are hated by other fans. When I ask for clarification, they either punch me in the face :) or give an answer centered on the style and attitude of the nucks.

As a rule, people HATE teams that spend so much effort in trying to draw penalties. When I ask for examples, they say the Sedins dive all the time, Burrows is no better, going as far as revealing the vendetta that certain refs have against him. Gillis didn't do our image any favors when he roasted the refs In the media last year "we got 67.6% of the penalties" against the hawks. I guess I can kinda see it, do you guys think there is any truth to this bit about us diving and whining? The way I look at it, If they can do it in soccer, why shouldn't we do it in hockey?? Cmon!!

The agitators we love are in a league of their own... Burrows and Lapierre always are up to something whether it be kneeing someone in the groin or biting fingers. these guys really push the envelope and understandably add to Recchis opinion.

Sounds to me like Mark is willing to bury the hatchet. The Christian thing to do would be to forgive and welcome this BC boy home.

SS

Might there be a nugget of truth in Recchis comments

? Don't hate the BC boy and SC champ, learn from him.

Dr Recchi's approval is not necessary. "Physician, heal thyself."

Maybe the Dr. watched the Makaveli ironing video, switched his cereal box practice from Dr. to psychologist, and realized that he was projecting?

Or maybe he is tired of having people tell him to ef himself every time he goes to Safeway to pick up the featured flavour that he heard Garrett talking about? Perhaps listening to Canucks broadcasts he realized hey, these guys are nowhere near as nutters as that loose cannon Jack Edwards...and hey, they are actually a pretty good hockey team with humble players who play the game the right way. What's that? They haven't thrown a suspendable hit all year or taken a single fine? Why did we hate them so much again? Oh that's right, they spoke back and had the audacity to have as much confidence and dish out as much trash talk as the Bears did...

The Bruins were an organization with an enormous chip on their shoulders (they felt hard done by for a long time) - they whipped themselves into a hazed frenzy, and were turning up the hate in a big way. They would have hated any team that stood in front of them - and they rationalized every cheap shot they threw along the way and acted like they were entitled to intend to injure. They needed the hate and the dirt to help them beat hockey teams that were probably better than them - but the hate was irrational and seriously unsportsmanlike. His comments about Pacioretty as well - if he is honest with himself, he must look back and feel like a real ashsole. Even after winning the Cup, they were still lost for perspective, and acting possessed. When the Canucks walked into Boston at the height of their delusions of grandeur and handed them a humbling defeat, they were at a strange loss - they were SC Champions, but it was like they were broken by that loss. Who knows? Dr Recchi and the Bears may have actually reached a point of reflectiveness?

I had always liked Recchi and respected his game a lot. It was quite disappointing when he made those comments after the SCF; it really took the idea of hating the opponent to another level.

I'd have more respect for him if he acknowledged that he went too far with his comments and said a few stupid things...but what he did say....meh, at least there is a hint of conciliatory there, but it still kind of sounds like he thinks it was only the Canucks who had some lessons to learn...

I can't wait to see how CDC flames him for this. Good for him.

If Toronto went to the finals next year (not saying they will), not many on here could find it within themselves to genuinely compliment them.

Don't say Recchi is saying this because of ulterior motives (unless you wear a tinfoil hat that is, then go ahead and say anything you want!).

I still don't put much into what he says but it says good things about him that he can recognize growth and change.

There's nothing contradictory about his two statements.

You can think a team is arrogant and hated and still think they are talented and will do well.

He obviously doesn't like many of the players on the Canucks, but still can recognize that they are a good team.

I have no problem with either of his interviews.

Archived