The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Sedin "should" Be Ready For Round 1 [Article]

CoreyPerry

‘He’s going in the right direction … feeling a little better each day,’ says general manager

VANCOUVER — Injured Vancouver Canuck scorer Daniel Sedin should be ready for the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs in two weeks, general manager Mike Gillis confirmed Thursday.

Sedin, last season's National Hockey League scoring champion, has not played since suffering a concussion March 21 in Chicago when elbowed in the face by Blackhawks' defenceman Duncan Keith, who was suspended five games.

The Canucks are 4-0 since Sedin was hurt, although Vancouver has scored only seven times during the winning streak. Sedin leads the Canucks with 30 goals, and remains second on the team in points with 67.

“It's risky to make projections with these things because one day the player just may not feel right, but he's going in the right direction,” Gillis told The Vancouver Sun. “He's feeling a little better each day. We're hopeful if things keep going the way they are that he'll be available [for the first round].”

The Canucks do not allow their injured players to speak to the media and others, including Henrik Sedin, have been told not to discuss Daniel's status.

But he has been resting and getting treatment, including on his neck, and his concussion symptoms have been improving.

The Canucks are hopeful Sedin's recovery time will be similar to teammate Sami Salo's situation in January, when the defenceman missed six games and two-and-a-half weeks after an illegal check by Boston Bruin Brad Marchand.

These were the first concussions for the players.

“Every situation is different,” Gillis said. “We all know how badly those two guys want to play. Daniel's on the right track.”

While the likelihood of Sedin's availability for the opening of the Stanley Cup tournament is excellent news for the Canucks, the “maintenance” days coach Alain Vigneault gave defenceman Kevin Bieksa this week may continue.

Gillis emphasized that Bieksa's undisclosed injury doesn't threaten his playoff availability, but the team wants to make sure every player is as near as possible to 100 per cent fit.

The Canucks, who took Thursday off ahead of Friday’s game against the Dallas Stars (7 p.m., TSN, Team 1040), can still catch the St. Louis Blues for the Western Conference championship but will finish no lower than the second playoff seed regardless of results in their final five games.

Read it on TSN just now and love it! If, he is "fully" recovered and healthy. This team has shown in the past that we can play with or without Danny and Hank. We are obviously much better off with them in the lineup, but I would not want to risk his long term health by rushing him back. We are more than capable of winning a series without him and giving him ample time to return. I guess we will see when he returns. It took me a few games to adjust after I sustained a non-hockey related concussion a few years ago. I was out for a month and upon my return struggled. It went away eventually, but was not fun. I wish him the best and am excited for his return when it happens.

Read it on TSN just now and love it! If, he is "fully" recovered and healthy. This team has shown in the past that we can play with or without Danny and Hank. We are obviously much better off with them in the lineup, but I would not want to risk his long term health by rushing him back. We are more than capable of winning a series without him and giving him ample time to return. I guess we will see when he returns. It took me a few games to adjust after I sustained a non-hockey related concussion a few years ago. I was out for a month and upon my return struggled. It went away eventually, but was not fun. I wish him the best and am excited for his return when it happens.

Wait, isn't there already a thread on this? Or is this the thread that started the desire for others to post a thread just like this one? Either way, I wish Dank a timely and whole recovery. I was bummed to not see him here in Dallas, but stoked to see us win without him against a semi-desperate team. That showed what we can do without one of our best in the lineup and the type of heart we have in times of adversity.

The Bieksa thing could be a plan to free up cap-space and so we can get Ballard in a few games before the playoffs. Maybe not, but possibly...

EDIT: I guess there's not enough season left to go on long term injury reserve. My mistake

Although, same thing could be said for Alberts. This way all our defensemen will have played games before the playoffs and won't be rusty, incase they need to go in the playoffs unexpectedly...

This is good news, but I'd temper the enthusiasm a bit.

MG said Daniel is getting a bit better every day and if he continues to do so, should be ready for the playoffs.

That's a big "if". Concussions are very difficult to predict and players can suffer setbacks at any time. Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm cautiously optimistic that Danny will be ready, rather than confident.

Archived