The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Line Up Jordan Schroeder To Fill Gap Left By Hodgson

elvis15

From the Province yesterday, surprisingly haven't seen it posted:

When the Canucks brought in Samuel Pahlsson and moved Cody Hodgson at the NHL trade deadline, it signalled they were morphing into a more defence-oriented and presumably playoff-ready team.

It also showed they have substantial confidence that minor-league prospect Jordan Schroeder could, sooner than later, fill the hole in the depth chart at offensive centre that Hodgson's departure created.

“He's taken big strides this year,” said Canucks assistant GM Lorne Henning before Schroeder and the Chicago Wolves defeated the Abbotsford Heat 5-4 in a shootout in the first of a two-game set Thursday at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. Schroeder scored two goals and was named the game’s first star.

Since he started killing penalties in November his all-around game has really improved. He's always been able to work the offence, but now he's concentrating on defence. I've seen him play 12 or 14 times and he's played well every time. He's high on our depth chart.”

If it means more opportunity, Schroeder is up for it, but makes it clear he's never happy to see another player traded.

“Cody is a great player and he's a good friend of mine, so it's not like I was glad to see him go,” said Schroeder. “He's going to be a great player for Buffalo for a long time. Maybe it does open a door and shows they have more confidence in me in that role.”

How it all works out will be up to Schroeder, but he continues to shine in his second year as a pro in the AHL.

Heading into Thursday's game in Abbotsford with the Canucks' farm club, Schroeder is coming off a two-assist game in a 4-1 win over Houston. The 5-foot-8, 175-pounder has 17 goals and 38 points in 67 games for the Wolves. It's not a huge jump in numbers from last season (10-18-28 in 61 games), Schroeder has put up 31 points (14-17) in his last 44 games since mid-December.

“I definitely think I've made a lot of progress from last year,” said Schroeder, who the Canucks selected 22nd overall in the 2009 NHL entry draft.

“Consistency is a big part of what it takes to be a professional. It's hard every single game. Sometimes your body isn't feeling 100 per cent. But it's something I've really tried to be better at.”

Schroeder is currently centring a line with wingers Bill Sweatt and Mike Davies – who've both played with him often this season.

Bitz and Reinprecht back in the lineup after extended layoffs with the flu. They are very likely to be depth at least come playoffs. Guys like Schroeder, Connauton, Sweatt, Sauve, etc also could be called up, but we'll have to see how their playoffs go as well as ours for when they're available.

Im a UK fan so obviously dont really get the chance to see any of our prospects play. So thanks for the article, sounds like he is progressing nicely. Obviously no rush for him. Like all our prospects we must take our time and wait.....it's worked for Detroit ;P

Archived