Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Armada

My Angry Rant About Vancouver Drivers

82 posts in this topic

People that are right turning and don't pull into the curb lane. Instead, they slow down and stop in the middle of the two.

have ever driven on number 3 road in richmond?????

most dangerous road in BC

People that are right turning and don't pull into the curb lane. Instead, they slow down and stop in the middle of the two.

aberdeen mall parking lot is the tightest parking lot i've been to. its so small, you can barely move around in there.

Well, I've been a courier for about 5 years now, and I can say for a fact the majority of people are awful, scary, stupid drivers.

My route is in the downtown eastside, and surrounding areas, and it's ridiculous how many times people have almost crashed into me from running their stop sign, assuming I have one, or people just stopping when they don't have a stop sign, causing me to have to make quick reactions that I shouldn't be making.

I've come to peace with it, I used to be a lot more cynical, and angry, but I guess I've just grown to not care too much.

I promised my girlfriend if we ever won the lottery I'd open up a free driving school for people, haha.

Anyways, my pet peeve is people who are driving trucks, or vans that think they're actually driving 18 wheelers, and go out wide a bit for their turns.

I drive a 14 foot truck... I RARELY ever have to go out wide, and I do so safely, not just sporadically.

Your 9 foot van sure as hell doesn't need to.

Well, I've been a courier for about 5 years now, and I can say for a fact the majority of people are awful, scary, stupid drivers.

My route is in the downtown eastside, and surrounding areas, and it's ridiculous how many times people have almost crashed into me from running their stop sign, assuming I have one, or people just stopping when they don't have a stop sign, causing me to have to make quick reactions that I shouldn't be making.

I've come to peace with it, I used to be a lot more cynical, and angry, but I guess I've just grown to not care too much.

I promised my girlfriend if we ever won the lottery I'd open up a free driving school for people, haha.

Anyways, my pet peeve is people who are driving trucks, or vans that think they're actually driving 18 wheelers, and go out wide a bit for their turns.

I drive a 14 foot truck... I RARELY ever have to go out wide, and I do so safely, not just sporadically.

Your 9 foot van sure as hell doesn't need to.

People who think drivers here are bad compared to elsewhere haven't a clue.

Try Toronto or NY or Montreal or Mumbai or Manila Or Bangkok.

STFU.

Have a great day.

STFU.

Have a great day.

STFU.

Have a great day.

I grew up along #3 Road. Nothing makes me more sad than seeing the town I grew up in turn into one big mess. Richmond is a case study in over-development, and poor planning.

All those developers that made money in Richmond, don't live in Richmond.

Back to the roads. I agree with the OP's rant about merging. How can something be so simple be so messed up with folks here.

Leave a car length or two in front and back and we ALL move. No slinky-effect. Everyone should be in the right lane on highways unless you want to pass.

I would also appreciate people making left turns at intersections especially now that we are entering spring and summer. Please be cautious (even more so than before). Motorcycles being stuck in blind spots is bad enough, but there's nothing more scary to a rider than a guy seeing a gap in traffic making a left hand turn heading right for my motorcycle.

I am finding two types of other road users whom I never had a problem with before turning into arrogant jerks. Cyclists and pedestrians. Now if a light is red or you're told NOT TO WALK, people are disregarding signs (And with cyclists traffic laws) they just go anyway. Worse still are the gits on scooters who think that traffic laws don't apply either and ride a scooter like it's a bicycle!

My rule of thumb if you're on two wheels behave like a car. No one thinks your cool because you're on your bike and balancing at a red light. I don't care. I care however when you ride through a red light and cause an accident.

I think it all comes down to training. People are going to driving schools to learn to pass the tests, not be a better driver. My driving skills and riding skills jumped up significantly when I went to Pacific Riding School. Dat and Kramer emphasize SURVIVAL. Two of them are probably the best instructors I ever had. Riding a motorcycle gives you a new perspective on how bad drivers can be, and what it's really like on the road. You feel every bump, every imperfection on the road, and you're constantly on your guard.

I really think there needs to be a serious review of driving schools and they need to train drivers skills to not just pass the road test(s), but to avoid accidents and improve skills. Young Driver's seems to train students the right way, why can't others do the same?

P.S.

Toronto is bad, especially the 401. But the drivers there all drive the same way, so it's sort of predictable. Here you don't know what the hell you're facing, because everyone's styles are so erratic.

How did I forget this one :lol:

Its even better when they do it with a car.

One of my biggest pet peeves is a driver who feels the need to drift into the left lane in order to make a wide right turn. You aren't driving a semi-trailer truck!

I grew up along #3 Road. Nothing makes me more sad than seeing the town I grew up in turn into one big mess. Richmond is a case study in over-development, and poor planning.

All those developers that made money in Richmond, don't live in Richmond.

Back to the roads. I agree with the OP's rant about merging. How can something be so simple be so messed up with folks here.

Leave a car length or two in front and back and we ALL move. No slinky-effect. Everyone should be in the right lane on highways unless you want to pass.

I would also appreciate people making left turns at intersections especially now that we are entering spring and summer. Please be cautious (even more so than before). Motorcycles being stuck in blind spots is bad enough, but there's nothing more scary to a rider than a guy seeing a gap in traffic making a left hand turn heading right for my motorcycle.

I am finding two types of other road users whom I never had a problem with before turning into arrogant jerks. Cyclists and pedestrians. Now if a light is red or you're told NOT TO WALK, people are disregarding signs (And with cyclists traffic laws) they just go anyway. Worse still are the gits on scooters who think that traffic laws don't apply either and ride a scooter like it's a bicycle!

My rule of thumb if you're on two wheels behave like a car. No one thinks your cool because you're on your bike and balancing at a red light. I don't care. I care however when you ride through a red light and cause an accident.

I think it all comes down to training. People are going to driving schools to learn to pass the tests, not be a better driver. My driving skills and riding skills jumped up significantly when I went to Pacific Riding School. Dat and Kramer emphasize SURVIVAL. Two of them are probably the best instructors I ever had. Riding a motorcycle gives you a new perspective on how bad drivers can be, and what it's really like on the road. You feel every bump, every imperfection on the road, and you're constantly on your guard.

I really think there needs to be a serious review of driving schools and they need to train drivers skills to not just pass the road test(s), but to avoid accidents and improve skills. Young Driver's seems to train students the right way, why can't others do the same?

P.S.

Toronto is bad, especially the 401. But the drivers there all drive the same way, so it's sort of predictable. Here you don't know what the hell you're facing, because everyone's styles are so erratic.

Add Kerrisdale (around 41st and West boulevard) and UBC to the list of places with horrible drivers. I've seen way to too many cases where some dumb bimbo just stops in the middle of the road looking for directions, driving over or in the middle of two lanes.

I hate high-beamers, tailgaters, people who drive over the line in two lanes, people who don't look when they turn from a small road into a big road, dumb-asses that don't know to slow down when theres black ice on the road and not try to go from 60-0 and stop on a dime in a Yaris.

Cars that don't let pedestrians, even when they're only going like 20 in a parking lot (happened in Richmond many times), Bikes that think they are cars and pedestrians simultaneously, people who drive on the wrong side of the road in lanes, people who drive like 30km/h below the speed limit, etc.etc.

I got more, just can't think of them now.

Drivers and pedestrians that think a red light means a pedestrian can't cross the street...the intersections that have the pedestrian activated light.

There's a freakin' stop sign. You're suppose to stop and yield to pedestrians.