The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Angry Rant About Vancouver Drivers

Armada

Now before I start, I'd like to state I'm not the perfect driver, in fact there's no such thing as a perfect driver, there's only good and bad. I've made mistakes before and have bad habits like others but I know whats right from wrong and boy... do a lot of people not know whats wrong.

Its been building up in me for a long time now but it was the worse yesterday. When I was driving up to Cypress to go skiing, I just couldn't believe how awful, poorly educated and inconsiderate drivers are.

I start my list with this:

Highway drivers are hands down the worst in Vancouver and this could be said about most of North America too, but its the worse here. I've never seen anything like this in any other place I've been too, especially in Europe where I've seen the best drivers in the world.

-My #1 problem is all the people who stay in the passing lane on the left and than continue on without returning to the right lane after they passed someone going extremely slow, allowing all the cars on the right to pass them. Getting stuck behind these people is the most annoying thing in the world especially since I don't want to be a hypocrite and pass them on the right cause you're not allowed. So I usually flash them with my highbeams but they never understand and started flipping me off like I'm in the wrong :picard: , they're the reason traffic is so slow.

-People who drive with their highbeams on at night, how stupid, inconsiderate and how dangerous do you have to be to do this. I saw at least 10 cars on the highway doing this last night

-When in traffic on the highway, instead of everyone keeping a 2 car distance they all decide to pull up right behind you than constantly braking making the traffic stop and go. If you keep your distance than it will be a constant flow without braking.

-Letting people on and off the on ramp. I swear every traffic jam on the highway here is because of aggresive people who either don't let in the drivers by squeezing right up to the back of the car in front of them or completely slowing down cause the person on the on ramp doesn't know how to speed up to get to highway speeds :picard:

-People who pull out of a street in front of you when there's NO ONE behind you and then continue on proceeding at a low speed, making you need to brake. Awful judgement.

-People who don't use their signals, especially when you're behind them and they don't use it until they fully stop, leaving you stuck behind them.

-People who don't know how to read signs for when the times you are or not allowed to turn left or go in a lane. For example the HOV lane, I find it hilarious how when there's traffic at night after 7, no one uses the HOV lane cause they cannot read the sign that it stopped at 7pm or when someone turns left during the time you're not allowed.

-Texting and driving. Now I don't care about talking on your phone cause holding it isn't the problem, the problem is you get distracted with the talking part, through a headset or just holding the phone, it doesn't matter how you do it. That part of the law is poorly thought out. As for texting, I find it sickening how people could text while going 50+ km's not looking at the road. Most dangerous thing ever, but I'm not gonna lie I've done it too but I've never done it while I'm driving, only when I'm at a full stop at a red light and I know that's no better but at least I can't harm anyone at a red light.

-Stop signs. I got hit a month after I got my 1st car because some lady decided it was unneccesary to use a stop sign, hiting me right on the passenger door. I don't care how you do it, rolling stop or full stop, just don't go flying through the stop sign.

-When I'm trying to parallel park and people go right up to you as I want to reverse in :picard:

I can probably think of many more but to do that I'd have to go on the road to notice people's awful habbits. That was my rant.

If you have anything else, please feel free to add.

Well, I've been a courier for about 5 years now, and I can say for a fact the majority of people are awful, scary, stupid drivers.

My route is in the downtown eastside, and surrounding areas, and it's ridiculous how many times people have almost crashed into me from running their stop sign, assuming I have one, or people just stopping when they don't have a stop sign, causing me to have to make quick reactions that I shouldn't be making.

I've come to peace with it, I used to be a lot more cynical, and angry, but I guess I've just grown to not care too much.

I promised my girlfriend if we ever won the lottery I'd open up a free driving school for people, haha.

Anyways, my pet peeve is people who are driving trucks, or vans that think they're actually driving 18 wheelers, and go out wide a bit for their turns.

I drive a 14 foot truck... I RARELY ever have to go out wide, and I do so safely, not just sporadically.

Your 9 foot van sure as hell doesn't need to.

Well, I've been a courier for about 5 years now, and I can say for a fact the majority of people are awful, scary, stupid drivers.

My route is in the downtown eastside, and surrounding areas, and it's ridiculous how many times people have almost crashed into me from running their stop sign, assuming I have one, or people just stopping when they don't have a stop sign, causing me to have to make quick reactions that I shouldn't be making.

I've come to peace with it, I used to be a lot more cynical, and angry, but I guess I've just grown to not care too much.

I promised my girlfriend if we ever won the lottery I'd open up a free driving school for people, haha.

Anyways, my pet peeve is people who are driving trucks, or vans that think they're actually driving 18 wheelers, and go out wide a bit for their turns.

I drive a 14 foot truck... I RARELY ever have to go out wide, and I do so safely, not just sporadically.

Your 9 foot van sure as hell doesn't need to.

I grew up along #3 Road. Nothing makes me more sad than seeing the town I grew up in turn into one big mess. Richmond is a case study in over-development, and poor planning.

All those developers that made money in Richmond, don't live in Richmond.

Back to the roads. I agree with the OP's rant about merging. How can something be so simple be so messed up with folks here.

Leave a car length or two in front and back and we ALL move. No slinky-effect. Everyone should be in the right lane on highways unless you want to pass.

I would also appreciate people making left turns at intersections especially now that we are entering spring and summer. Please be cautious (even more so than before). Motorcycles being stuck in blind spots is bad enough, but there's nothing more scary to a rider than a guy seeing a gap in traffic making a left hand turn heading right for my motorcycle.

I am finding two types of other road users whom I never had a problem with before turning into arrogant jerks. Cyclists and pedestrians. Now if a light is red or you're told NOT TO WALK, people are disregarding signs (And with cyclists traffic laws) they just go anyway. Worse still are the gits on scooters who think that traffic laws don't apply either and ride a scooter like it's a bicycle!

My rule of thumb if you're on two wheels behave like a car. No one thinks your cool because you're on your bike and balancing at a red light. I don't care. I care however when you ride through a red light and cause an accident.

I think it all comes down to training. People are going to driving schools to learn to pass the tests, not be a better driver. My driving skills and riding skills jumped up significantly when I went to Pacific Riding School. Dat and Kramer emphasize SURVIVAL. Two of them are probably the best instructors I ever had. Riding a motorcycle gives you a new perspective on how bad drivers can be, and what it's really like on the road. You feel every bump, every imperfection on the road, and you're constantly on your guard.

I really think there needs to be a serious review of driving schools and they need to train drivers skills to not just pass the road test(s), but to avoid accidents and improve skills. Young Driver's seems to train students the right way, why can't others do the same?

P.S.

Toronto is bad, especially the 401. But the drivers there all drive the same way, so it's sort of predictable. Here you don't know what the hell you're facing, because everyone's styles are so erratic.

I grew up along #3 Road. Nothing makes me more sad than seeing the town I grew up in turn into one big mess. Richmond is a case study in over-development, and poor planning.

All those developers that made money in Richmond, don't live in Richmond.

Back to the roads. I agree with the OP's rant about merging. How can something be so simple be so messed up with folks here.

Leave a car length or two in front and back and we ALL move. No slinky-effect. Everyone should be in the right lane on highways unless you want to pass.

I would also appreciate people making left turns at intersections especially now that we are entering spring and summer. Please be cautious (even more so than before). Motorcycles being stuck in blind spots is bad enough, but there's nothing more scary to a rider than a guy seeing a gap in traffic making a left hand turn heading right for my motorcycle.

I am finding two types of other road users whom I never had a problem with before turning into arrogant jerks. Cyclists and pedestrians. Now if a light is red or you're told NOT TO WALK, people are disregarding signs (And with cyclists traffic laws) they just go anyway. Worse still are the gits on scooters who think that traffic laws don't apply either and ride a scooter like it's a bicycle!

My rule of thumb if you're on two wheels behave like a car. No one thinks your cool because you're on your bike and balancing at a red light. I don't care. I care however when you ride through a red light and cause an accident.

I think it all comes down to training. People are going to driving schools to learn to pass the tests, not be a better driver. My driving skills and riding skills jumped up significantly when I went to Pacific Riding School. Dat and Kramer emphasize SURVIVAL. Two of them are probably the best instructors I ever had. Riding a motorcycle gives you a new perspective on how bad drivers can be, and what it's really like on the road. You feel every bump, every imperfection on the road, and you're constantly on your guard.

I really think there needs to be a serious review of driving schools and they need to train drivers skills to not just pass the road test(s), but to avoid accidents and improve skills. Young Driver's seems to train students the right way, why can't others do the same?

P.S.

Toronto is bad, especially the 401. But the drivers there all drive the same way, so it's sort of predictable. Here you don't know what the hell you're facing, because everyone's styles are so erratic.

Add Kerrisdale (around 41st and West boulevard) and UBC to the list of places with horrible drivers. I've seen way to too many cases where some dumb bimbo just stops in the middle of the road looking for directions, driving over or in the middle of two lanes.

I hate high-beamers, tailgaters, people who drive over the line in two lanes, people who don't look when they turn from a small road into a big road, dumb-asses that don't know to slow down when theres black ice on the road and not try to go from 60-0 and stop on a dime in a Yaris.

Cars that don't let pedestrians, even when they're only going like 20 in a parking lot (happened in Richmond many times), Bikes that think they are cars and pedestrians simultaneously, people who drive on the wrong side of the road in lanes, people who drive like 30km/h below the speed limit, etc.etc.

I got more, just can't think of them now.

Drivers and pedestrians that think a red light means a pedestrian can't cross the street...the intersections that have the pedestrian activated light.

There's a freakin' stop sign. You're suppose to stop and yield to pedestrians.

Archived