The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Angry Rant About Vancouver Drivers

Armada

truckers are the best drivers out there.

pick up drivers, on the other hand, are ???? assholes. why do you ALL have to have your brights + fog lights on even with oncoming traffic? douchebags

Drivers and pedestrians that think a red light means a pedestrian can't cross the street...the intersections that have the pedestrian activated light.

There's a freakin' stop sign. You're suppose to stop and yield to pedestrians.

Guest The Brown Burrows

Well, I've been a courier for about 5 years now, and I can say for a fact the majority of people are awful, scary, stupid drivers.

My route is in the downtown eastside, and surrounding areas, and it's ridiculous how many times people have almost crashed into me from running their stop sign, assuming I have one, or people just stopping when they don't have a stop sign, causing me to have to make quick reactions that I shouldn't be making.

I've come to peace with it, I used to be a lot more cynical, and angry, but I guess I've just grown to not care too much.

I promised my girlfriend if we ever won the lottery I'd open up a free driving school for people, haha.

Anyways, my pet peeve is people who are driving trucks, or vans that think they're actually driving 18 wheelers, and go out wide a bit for their turns.

I drive a 14 foot truck... I RARELY ever have to go out wide, and I do so safely, not just sporadically.

Your 9 foot van sure as hell doesn't need to.

I just came back from the States, and let me tell you - the Americans know how to drive on a highway/interstate. If there's a car gaining on them, they will actually pull into the right land and let the car fly by.

If there's cars merging onto the interstate, cars will actually make room for them to come in (either by creating a gap between the car ahead of you and your car, OR by cutting into the middle/passing lane)

I just came back from the States, and let me tell you - the Americans know how to drive on a highway/interstate. If there's a car gaining on them, they will actually pull into the right land and let the car fly by.

If there's cars merging onto the interstate, cars will actually make room for them to come in (either by creating a gap between the car ahead of you and your car, OR by cutting into the middle/passing lane)

You know what a good driver is measure on how many accident they have in their lifetimes and not how fast they can reach from point a to b. I've driven in Vancouver and Washington state and in Philippines(city and country side). I notice in north America is we rely to much on rules and guidelines that if we see a violation on other drivers we get mad so easily and the traffic moves faster. In the Philippines you have to rely instinct and common sense and the constant cutting in is normal and the traffic moves slower. If you ask me. I found more accident here than there because people here don't pay much attention. Aslong they follow the rules they assume they are safe. What I learned from there, I brought here. I can anticipate other drivers moves so nothing usually surprise me. That's why I never lose my cook while I'm driving. But what I learned from here, I can't bring it over there because they dont have a rule to go by so it's useless. So the more you learned to be a defensive driver, the less you complain about the other drivers because nothing they do surprise you. That's my two cent. By the way I learned to drive here not there it just made me a better driver from my experience over there.

I posted a similar topic last September:

My biggest beef right now is people who pass and don't allow a sufficient time before they move back into your lane. Just as you should be 2-3 seconds behind someone when following, so should you be 2-3 seconds in front of them before you move back into that lane.

People who do that are ignorant.

They are ignorant because they don't believe they are doing anything that affects the person they just passed.

What happens?

Well, for, one - you just put that person in an unsafe situation - as if they were tail gating you.

Second, the turbulence caused by your vehicle affects theirs in a negative way - especially if they have a small vehicle or a motorcycle. Third, as you change lanes, debris on the road, water (if it's been raining) or snow is blased all over their vehicle and front window - potentialling causing damage and or the ability for that person to see clearly.

On top of that, anyone driving without mudflaps shouldn't be allowed on the road - especially truckers (I have a truck and had my dealer put mud flaps on before I left the dealership).

What it all comes down to? People need to be more considerate of others.

Meh, every city in every country in the world will complain about its drivers. Truth be told, I've spent time in Vancouver, China, and many European cities, and Vancouver is the only place I feel safe driving. Drivers in Vancouver aren't bad, they're just human.

Meh, every city in every country in the world will complain about its drivers. Truth be told, I've spent time in Vancouver, China, and many European cities, and Vancouver is the only place I feel safe driving. Drivers in Vancouver aren't bad, they're just human.

I ride my bike on the sidewalk and get off the bike whenever there's pedestrian

I'd rather get fined than get hit by a freaking bus on the highway

legal or illegal, riding bike on those places during those times are stupid...unless you wanna get hit

again, roads are for vehicles...that's why buses have bike racks installed on them......you wanna ride your bike across cities that's your choices cause it's legal, but you can't deny the danger a cyclist creates by riding his/her bicycle on the road, cause i'm pretty sure most times a car will try to pass the bicycle

is it the driver's fault? perhaps legally speaking, but a cyclist has no need to ride on those places

i can understand riding on a road that's wide...but riding on a road when its narrow and busy? seriously? it's a death wish

, again legal or not

Yet another stellar and intelligent post from this user.

Don't know where you live but where I live, it's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk.

It is also legal to ride your bike on the highway, the roads, on bridges and even during rush hours. Your post comes off sounding incredibly elitist...the highways and roads DO NOT belong just to four-wheel vehicle traffic. Would you like to eradicate motorcycles from our roads, highways etc., as well?

Archived