The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Angry Rant About Vancouver Drivers

Armada

Someone mentioned the stretch in kerrisdale.From 49th to 41st and Down even up to 16th is absolutely horrific for bad drivers. I drive this route alot because I live there but I have not encountered people who drive as slow as people in this stretch. Down west boulevard regularly doing 35 k.

People who drive 10 k below the limit in the fast lane and you can't pass in the right because of other slow drivers.

Or how about people who are turning left from a side street on to a main street , cut you off soyou have to slam on the breaks and they don't speed up!

I had a guy do that to me today.. He realized he cut me off bad .. He went half in the right lane and half in the left lane so I couldn't pass him on the left.. Then he veered back and cut me off again because there were parked cars on the right lane.

^ that was along 16th between arbutus and just before burrard.

80 Is not unreasonable. You'll never be pulled over for it and in fact in BC your vehicle only needs to be capable of traveling at 60 KPH on the 100 KPH highway. I rarely see people traveling at 80 in a 100 zone anyway and that leads me to believe that you're actually tailgating people who are doing between 90-110 when you're ripping down the highway trying to do 130.And 20 below in traffic is pretty fast. Have you ever driven highway 1 in traffic? You're lucky if you're doing 80!

I've been a 10 ton truck driver for 5 years now, with my first 3 being downtown. You learn really fast to pick your battles and save your anger for the ones that really count, otherwise you'd go crazy with the amount of horrible things I see everyday.

Last night, southbound through the tunnel, both lanes are going 80km. Nobody that passes another car, going 1km faster then them, bothers moving over and instead clog everything up. Slowly everyone creeps up to 100km by the first overpass. Normally I'd pass on the temporary 3rd lane on the left, but the line of cars fills the entire thing. By the Hwy 10 exit I finally get an opportunity to pass. In the right lane. I swear I passed 10 cars all on my left before reaching the first car on the right. During this passing, I was going 120km. As I was, a few decide all of a sudden, that they too also want to drive at that speed. So I'm forced to go 130km just to distance myself from these horrible, obliviously dangerous, drivers.

If there's no one in front of you, move to the right. If you can't move to the right because there's someone beside you, you're going too slow. You're in the PASSING LANE. Pass and move over. It doesn't matter if you're going 200km/hr. The same rules apply. Pass and move over. You are not the "speed" police. If you need to exit on the left and it's more then 5minutes away, move over.

Driving beside another car is the most dangerous place you can be on the road. Blind spots lead to accidents. You may think you're being safe by driving beside that semi truck, but you're an idiot. This is probably the most dangerous thing you could be doing. Especially semi trucks. In the rain. For the love of god, PASS.

Downtown there's a curb lane with no parking allowed near cross streets for a reason. If you want to turn off the street, move into the curb lane first, then make your turn. If you do not do this, the ass of your car blocks my lane and I cannot move until you wait for the pedestrians to clear the street for you.

If you're driving 20km below the speed limit, in any lane, especially single lanes, I will ride your ass. You're the asshole, not me. Drive the speed limit.

The merging lane is just that, the merging lane. Speed up to the SAME speed as the lane you're merging with. It doesn't matter if that lane is speeding. Merge safely first at the same speed, then slow down to the limit if you so desire. Merge at the very end of the lane, especially in traffic. Nobody likes early mergers, because people just drive around them and everything gets out of whack and you piss the guy off you're merging in front of. Just drive to the end of the lane. You don't even have to signal. Everyone that has a clue will let you in willingly. If someone doesn't let you in willingly they're the asshole. The exception to that rule is if you're in a well known turn off lane, in traffic, that starts a long ways back. The people that merge near the front in a non merging lane are assholes, don't let them in.

That's all I've got for now, there's just too many.

Be grateful you are living here. There are much more terrible places in the world then Vancouver. Like Indonesia, in fact, Vancouver does not even make the top 10 worst places to drive in the world. Toronto New YOrk happens be on the list a long with Paris, and Tokyo. This is not bad already, there are idiot drivers out there that live here, but be happy your not somewhere else.

I go to Richmond a lot and I haven't experienced any real problems with drivers except traffic does get a bit congested on the weekends

I have no issues with most bad driving habits except:

Tailgaters, I don't care if a person (not me :P) is driving 20km/hr in a 80 zone there's no reason to tailgate...if you don't like it, change lanes and pass

No right or left signal, I don't really care for it if it's obvious they're in the left turn lane or if there are no cars like a mile back, but more and more cars pass and change lanes without the light signal and it's just unnecessary laziness that could cause a crash

Cyclists, I'm sorry but cyclists do not own the road....I don't understand how some cyclists can cruise down a highway during busy hours and think its fine..legally maybe, but it amazes me that some cyclists do it because they know they can and not think they are very likely to get hit...I'd ride on the sidewalk whenever possible, roads are for cars not bicycles especially on highways and bridges and especially during rush hours

And please don't drink and drive, enough said

The 60 on the Hwy thing is referring to tractors, scooters, or other low top end vehicles.  If you truly believe going 20 below when traffic is heavy, then you're part of the problem.  Oblivious as usual.

If I choose to do 120, that's my choice.  You do not play "traffic cop" and hold people back.  The left lane is for passing, so floor it, pass, move over and resume speed.  Just because you're driving 100 and the person beside you is driving 99, does not mean you belong in the passing lane.   You end up driving in blind spots for far too long and it's a wonder why there are highway accidents.

And there's a big difference between heavy traffic and a traffic jam, I think it's painfully obvious which one I'm referring to.

I go to Richmond a lot and I haven't experienced any real problems with drivers except traffic does get a bit congested on the weekends

Tailgaters, I don't care if a person (not me :P) is driving 20km/hr in a 80 zone there's no reason to tailgate...if you don't like it, change lanes and pass

No right or left signal, I don't really care for it if it's obvious they're in the left turn lane or if there are no cars like a mile back, but more and more cars pass and change lanes without the light signal and it's just unnecessary laziness that could cause a crash

Cyclists, I'm sorry but cyclists do not own the road....I don't understand how some cyclists can cruise down a highway during busy hours and think its fine..legally maybe, but it amazes me that some cyclists do it because they know they can and not think they are very likely to get hit...I'd ride on the sidewalk whenever possible, roads are for cars not bicycles especially on highways and bridges and especially during rush hours

Try driving in Thunder Bay, I swear Cracker Jacks must give out Ontario licenses in their snacks around here. In addition to everything in the original post, Yellow lights mean "Go faster its gong to turn red" I've lost track of how many times I stop when the light turns yellow and have the car behind me change lanes and gun it through the (now) red light, Red means I can still make it, I've seen SEVEN cars play follow the leader through a red light because they watch the car in front of them instead of the light, I've seen a guy stop on a south bound on ramp, then make a U-turn across 5 lanes to go north, I've seen a woman blow through a stop sign (nearly hitting me in the process) then stop blocking both Westbound lanes of one of the busiest streets in town waiting for Eastbound traffic to clear so she can turn left. I've seen a woman turn left cutting directly in front of an oncoming ambulace (it doesn't matter if you have a green, an emergency vehicle responding to a call ALWAYS has the right of way even if their light is red), No parking apparently means "no one ELSE can park here", recently I was making a left turn, the light changed while I was in the intersection, I had to wait as the oncoming car ran the red, and as I completed my turn I glanced in the mirror, not only did the car behind me proceed through the red light, the one behind him made a left against the red.

Try driving in Thunder Bay, I swear Cracker Jacks must give out Ontario licenses in their snacks around here. In addition to everything in the original post, Yellow lights mean "Go faster its gong to turn red" I've lost track of how many times I stop when the light turns yellow and have the car behind me change lanes and gun it through the (now) red light, Red means I can still make it, I've seen SEVEN cars play follow the leader through a red light because they watch the car in front of them instead of the light, I've seen a guy stop on a south bound on ramp, then make a U-turn across 5 lanes to go north, I've seen a woman blow through a stop sign (nearly hitting me in the process) then stop blocking both Westbound lanes of one of the busiest streets in town waiting for Eastbound traffic to clear so she can turn left. I've seen a woman turn left cutting directly in front of an oncoming ambulace (it doesn't matter if you have a green, an emergency vehicle responding to a call ALWAYS has the right of way even if their light is red), No parking apparently means "no one ELSE can park here", recently I was making a left turn, the light changed while I was in the intersection, I had to wait as the oncoming car ran the red, and as I completed my turn I glanced in the mirror, not only did the car behind me proceed through the red light, the one behind him made a left against the red.

I have to agree with the OP. For some reason, many people don't understand that the Left lane is for passing. It's very clear when you get on the highway in the States and it's even a law.

With the highbeams at night, I often don't know if someone is high beaming me or if it's something about the xenon lights that make them so damn bright.

Vancouver drivers are so unbelievably unpredictable and awkward that it makes driving here unlike just about anywhere else. Their worst traits are an inability to hand-over-hand steer, always being out-of-phase with whatever's going on, being unaware of everything around them and being too slow with the pedals.

Their habit of driving around making the most irritating engline/exhaust note possible is icing on the cake.

I never said anything about being in the passing lane. Your exact words were"If you're driving 20km below the speed limit, in any lane, especially single lanes, I will ride your ass"I don't have a problem with you doing 120 KPH. Like I said in my first post, I don't drive 80 KPH, I just used that as an example. I usually set my cruise control at 120 KPH. But I don't tailgate people in the right lane. I use my common sense and pass them when it's safe.

Archived