The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most Critisized 6 Game Win Streak In Canucks History?

pimpcurtly

Because most fans here don't care about how they do in the regular season. We know this team is great in the regular season but now the question is let's see them do it in the playoffs. And don't give me last years crap they still choked badly in the finals last year even with the injuries

Because most fans here don't care about how they do in the regular season. We know this team is great in the regular season but now the question is let's see them do it in the playoffs. And don't give me last years crap they still choked badly in the finals last year even with the injuries

Yeah, the media here (and elsewhere) are incredibly hard on this team. It's like for 29 other teams, it's the bottom line of wins and losses, but the Canucks are graded on style points by a panel of media judges. It's totally ridiculous. And even if they play a perfect ten game, it gets dismissed with "well, what are they gonna do in the playoffs?"

Prior to last year everybody was saying that they needed to get out of the second round to consider the season a success, then they go to the Finals and everyone dubs it a failure. Expectations are too damn high. It's unreasonable. You can't just win the games; you have to score pretty goals and dominate the play completely. You can't just play solid defense and goaltending; it has to be a shutout every night. And oh yeah, if it's a shutout and the team can only score a couple, that's a failure. If they win 6-5, the goaltending is too shaky and defence lackadaisical. The significant accomplishments of this team are dismissed and anything that can be portrayed as a failure is blown out of proportion. Whatever happened to just winning the games?

The following people share a large chunk of the blame: Cole, Macintyre, Willes, Maclean and various CBC analysts (although Maclean has been trying to win Canucks' fans back lately by throwing us a few bones), Simmons in Toronto, and others. I fervently hope that the team tunes out all the garbage, because there's an enormous volume of it.

Well it's because they're a good enough team that they win even if they're playing like crap. And lately, that's kinda been the case. (with the exception of friday's game against Dallas) We shouldn't blindly praise the team just because they're winning games, especially not right now.

It's ok, just means that are our expectations are very high. We will take nothing short of winning the cup and then we'll be satisfied. Love the way this team is starting to gel now. We have proven in the last 6 games that we can still win without blowing out the other team on the scoreboard. Tighter, defensive hockey with great goal tending is what wins playoff games IMO. And just in case, we have the fire power to ring up the other team on the score sheet if need be. I believe that this years team all round game is better suited and structured for the playoffs. They just needed a bit of time to get to playing the way they need to in order to win games in bunches again. I think we have better chance of winning it all this year than last year, and this team is heating up at the perfect time :) .

Not sure took lots of heat for the streak earlier in the year.

The bottom line is we may be winning lots of ugly games but we're doing it consistently which says a lot about the team. Actually think it's more of a good sign than a bad.

Archived