The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Does Everyone Hate Bettman

Armada

I don't understand any of the Bettman hate other than maybe its the cool "thing" to do right now?

I used to Boo him too but then I realised he's made the NHL really strong like never before. Last year we passed the NBA in attendance average and hockey has never been this followed for a long time.

He allowed Winnipeg to have their team back too, yet Canadians on the most part still hate him?

He's only made hockey stronger. Am I the only one who feels this way about Bettman?

There is Bettman, the owners, the players, and the fans. Bettman has eroded things from "the fans" perspective. I'll admit he's increased revenues for the owners, but that doesn't mean the product on the ice is better for the fans. You could probably change the rules to anything and the fans would still show up in Vancouver.

There is always an eastern and southern bias. For the southern belt teams, its about expansion into new territory and future revenues. For the east, its about "right now" revenues. For the owners collectively, it all makes sense in maximizing the profit pool which leads to the eastern/southern bias. However, when are the owners going to get tired of losing money in those southern belt teams.. a failed investment?

For the western fans, we get the shaft (and I'm not just talking Vancouver). When was the last time the winter classic was played in Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, LA, San Jose, Anaheim, Phoneix, Colorado? Not all of those places are warm climate markets? Ask yourself, why have they played it twice in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Detroit? What about Canadian teams then? I suppose Toronto gets to participate this year, but Bettman placed the event south of the border?

I wish "the fans" had a seat in CBA negotiations.

This is actually one issue I and many other Canadians put our "tin foil hats" on for. Unfortunately, the conspiracy theories have a plethora of hard video evidence to suggest the league is coercing the decisions of officials.

And after the NBA reffing scandal, and the accused party fully acknowledging "fixed" games (fixed calls for the purpose of making money be it by betting or being paid off) are completely the norm and not just isolated to a one ref incident, we have full reason to believe NO North American sports league is immune to corrupt management, and corrupt officiating.

Look at south American soccer! There are countless artiles and even books on the number of "fixed" games in multiple different soccer leagues. This is a worldwide issue. And you can be sure if money is involved, and government is not there to enforce any kind of penalty or retribution for illegal activities, there is bound to be corruption within the ranks.

I thought it was just common knowledge why refs sometimes hide their whistles or bring them out. All of it is optics, and goals may not be clear, but in the end we see too much discrepencies between what is and is not a call to chalk it up to human error. I'm a ref. Been one for both Soccer and Hockey for almost 10 years now. It's not human error we are seeing. None of these officials are so under-qualified they forget to bring their glasses to the game, at specific moments, when one team or one organization, or one person may gain a large advantage. It's a process of research, and common reasoning that will eventually lead everyone to the same conclusion. We can't prove it. But we can "prove" it by thousands of hours of NHL video displaying inconsistencies in officiating that are not possible to be chalked up as human error.

There is Bettman, the owners, the players, and the fans. Bettman has eroded things from "the fans" perspective. I'll admit he's increased revenues for the owners, but that doesn't mean the product on the ice is better for the fans. You could probably change the rules to anything and the fans would still show up in Vancouver.

There is always an eastern and southern bias. For the southern belt teams, its about expansion into new territory and future revenues. For the east, its about "right now" revenues. For the owners collectively, it all makes sense in maximizing the profit pool which leads to the eastern/southern bias. However, when are the owners going to get tired of losing money in those southern belt teams.. a failed investment?

For the western fans, we get the shaft (and I'm not just talking Vancouver). When was the last time the winter classic was played in Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, LA, San Jose, Anaheim, Phoneix, Colorado? Not all of those places are warm climate markets? Ask yourself, why have they played it twice in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Detroit? What about Canadian teams then? I suppose Toronto gets to participate this year, but Bettman placed the event south of the border?

I wish "the fans" had a seat in CBA negotiations.

Let's say you have a good friend that you really love. Suddenly someone comes in and tells your friend to change the way she looks, the way she talks and the way she present herself to the world in order to get the attention of people who didn't really care about her but at the cost of losing some of her old friends. They do all this and now she is suddenly popular amongst the people who hadn't noticed her before but at the expense of the people that love her.

Does that make your friend a better person?

Let's say you have a good friend that you really love. Suddenly someone comes in and tells your friend to change the way she looks, the way she talks and the way she present herself to the world in order to get the attention of people who didn't really care about her but at the cost of losing some of her old friends. They do all this and now she is suddenly popular amongst the people who hadn't noticed her before but at the expense of the people that love her.

Does that make your friend a better person?

He cancelled an entire season in order to break the players' union, costing fans a year of the game they love.

He allowed teams from real hockey cities to be moved to Sun Belt cities where they still don't care about hockey.

He negotiated a bad TV contract, making it harder for fans to see games.

Maybe I wouldn't think he looks like a rat if he were a good guy, but he's an a-hole, and he looks like a rat.

I don't understand any of the Bettman hate other than maybe its the cool "thing" to do right now?

I used to Boo him too but then I realised he's made the NHL really strong like never before. Last year we passed the NBA in attendance average and hockey has never been this followed for a long time.

He allowed Winnipeg to have their team back too, yet Canadians on the most part still hate him?

He's only made hockey stronger. Am I the only one who feels this way about Bettman?

Archived