The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should You Tip For Bad Service At A Restaurant?

MikeGillis58

I recently had lunch at a Chinese-owned sushi restaurant and the waitress who served me had the worst atittude. Her facial expression indicates that she doesn't want to be there. This waitress rolls her eyes while taking orders, doesn't respond to customers calls for more tea or napkins. Plus the restaurant was only half full. After the meal, I paid the bill upfront but didn't leave a tip. She gave me a dirty look afterwards. I feel that a tip should be earned, not expected. If the service is bad enough, no tip should be given. I've tipped 20% for excellent service before. Your thoughts?

Tips should be earned, not expected. Bad service = no tip. Excellent service = great tip.

A group of about 15 of us were in a pub in Horseshoe Bay prior to catching the ferry and the major number of the group left before the last 4 of us, having paid their own bills. As we paid the bill, the server said that we hadn't tipped her enough. We were a little taken aback and she went on to say that the other parties hadn't tipped her and that we were expected to make up the difference. She was a lousy server to start with, in a pub with only our party in it, but we felt we should leave something. She then went on to say that what we were leaving as a tip wasn't even worth her time to have served us. One of the women in our group asked for the cash tip back and the server gave it back, thinking that we were going to dig out more cash but this woman in our party just divvied the money back up between us and we walked out. We could still hear the server swearing at us through the open door to the sidewalk.

I had never heard of such a thing in a pub or restaurant ever before and there were no signs saying that a gratuity was being added to our bill anywhere in sight. I am still amazed that this server had the temerity to ask the last people at the table to give her a tip in the amount of her own choosing and to make up what the other parties had not.

This server needed to learn that tips are earned for good service, they are not to be asked for or expected. If you can't be bothered to be polite or efficient, then don't be expecting a gratuity in return.

As someone who works in the industry and has been in the industry for over 8 years I beg you all to NOT tip when the service is poor. it's the only way to get it through to many service staff that they are not doing their job up to par. I also encourage telling the manager or writing why you didn't tip on the bill. Just remember to be tasteful when choosing your words. Explain your frustration and why you left the tip that you did maybe after it happens tot hose arrogant servers a few times, they might just change their attitude at work, or maybe the find a new type of job all together. We are in the business of making you the customer happy. If you want things to improve you NEED to tell us about inadequate service you receive every time it happens.

Cheers

My family owns a restaurant and I have heard on many occasions servers complain that they only got a 50 cent tip and they wonder why. This really bugs me because it is so simple. You got a bad tip because you gave bad service. I have yet to not leave a tip, but if the service is TERRIBLE I won't leave a tip at all!

It's earned. if I get horrible service, I let the manager know, and then I'll see what happens. I do understand that not all tip goes into the waitresses' hands - some goes to the kitchen staff, some to busboys, etc, so it's unfair to the waitress to have to pay out of her own wallet to "tip" the other staff.

I've tipped upwards of 20% for excellent service, and if we're regulars at that establishment (this helps ensure we get excellent service and even free drinks on occasions).

Tips should be earned, not expected. Bad service = no tip. Excellent service = great tip.

A group of about 15 of us were in a pub in Horseshoe Bay prior to catching the ferry and the major number of the group left before the last 4 of us, having paid their own bills. As we paid the bill, the server said that we hadn't tipped her enough. We were a little taken aback and she went on to say that the other parties hadn't tipped her and that we were expected to make up the difference. She was a lousy server to start with, in a pub with only our party in it, but we felt we should leave something. She then went on to say that what we were leaving as a tip wasn't even worth her time to have served us. One of the women in our group asked for the cash tip back and the server gave it back, thinking that we were going to dig out more cash but this woman in our party just divvied the money back up between us and we walked out. We could still hear the server swearing at us through the open door to the sidewalk.

I had never heard of such a thing in a pub or restaurant ever before and there were no signs saying that a gratuity was being added to our bill anywhere in sight. I am still amazed that this server had the temerity to ask the last people at the table to give her a tip in the amount of her own choosing and to make up what the other parties had not.

This server needed to learn that tips are earned for good service, they are not to be asked for or expected. If you can't be bothered to be polite or efficient, then don't be expecting a gratuity in return.

i won't leave a tip for bad service... they make an hourly wage, if they are relying on tips to get by - then they should be doing everything they can to be a good server...

i have ran into something like the poster above... me and like 5 friends were in vancouver and looking to drink before the maiden concert, we went to that place downtown (the cambie or something like that?) and ordered a couple pitchers, planning on ordering quite a few more.... anyhow, the server asked us to pay for our beer right away (which was odd to me) and once she took the bills she looks at us and goes "thats it? come on guys, theres 5 of you here"

now i was flabberghasted - i mean, we probly would have stayed for at least 4 more pitchers, but after that garbage we finished our drinks and left... and loudly laughed about her rudeness as we walked out the door. she basically screwed herself out of probably a big tip, because you know what happens when 5 people get drunk.

anyhow... tips are earned, not handed out - restaurant food and drink is already expensive enough.

One thing I hate is when they come to your table every 2-3 min asking how everything is.. Let me eat ffs.. Wait till later to ask how everything was.. We have food in our mouths and want to enjoy our meal.

Archived