The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should You Tip For Bad Service At A Restaurant?

MikeGillis58

I recently had lunch at a Chinese-owned sushi restaurant and the waitress who served me had the worst atittude. Her facial expression indicates that she doesn't want to be there. This waitress rolls her eyes while taking orders, doesn't respond to customers calls for more tea or napkins. Plus the restaurant was only half full. After the meal, I paid the bill upfront but didn't leave a tip. She gave me a dirty look afterwards. I feel that a tip should be earned, not expected. If the service is bad enough, no tip should be given. I've tipped 20% for excellent service before. Your thoughts?

Wow you guys are such cheap bastards. I get not leaving a great tip if the service is bad but leaving no tip? c'mon tips are what these people work for. They make 9 bucks an hour on 4 hour shifts. You can't live off that. It's pretty embarrassing to go out to a bar with a guy who doesnt tip too. All you have to do is give the bartender a buck or two every drink. If you can't pay tips you should save your money and stop going out.

Wow you guys are such cheap bastards. I get not leaving a great tip if the service is bad but leaving no tip? c'mon tips are what these people work for. They make 9 bucks an hour on 4 hour shifts. You can't live off that. It's pretty embarrassing to go out to a bar with a guy who doesnt tip too. All you have to do is give the bartender a buck or two every drink. If you can't pay tips you should save your money and stop going out.

A friend of mine is a stickler for good service at a restaurant. From the minute we arrive till the minute we pay the bill she takes note of how we were treated and she makes all of us follow her verdict on the amount to tip.

I totally think that it should be earned. The whole reason to dine out is to be treated to a meal where you get good service and you can enjoy your food without having to worry about the little things you have to worry about when dining at home. If the experience is anything less than pleasurable it's always a little disappointing.

I think tipping is a joke. Somehow the employer is getting away with under paying their staff and the consumer is expected to support them.

Well I'm a courier. Should I be tipped? Apparently not. A pizza boy should be. McDonald's staff? No. Some crapty restaurant that serves burgers and booze? Yes.

Messed.

Sucks for them. They should get a better job that pays more maybe as a waiter? Being a waiter (or waitress) is not supposed to be a minimum wage job. A lot of people make careers out of it because they make good money in tips. It's not an easy job and they deserved to be tipped.

I've usually been lucky with service. The worst I had was about a month ago, I was at Milestones for a birthday dinner. There was about 10 of us. The service was decent, food was good, but the waitress gave us individual bills with a tip on each bill. Each bill had about $2.50 on it. So $2.50 x 10 = a nice $25 tip. I wasn't too thrilled so I just didn't pay the extra $2.50, but nobody else really noticed or gave a crap since it was only a couple bucks. But still, frack you, waitress. I'm a high school kid making $9.50 an hour, no tips so don't try to take my money! You can't do that, tips are earned. Yeah, that's the worst waitress experience I've had. /end grouchy rant

If its crap service I give 0% but if its good I give 15% or more.

I knew people when I was in school who did serving and they would make more money in tips than their wage because they had a good personality and made it worth while for the customer.

Archived