The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should You Tip For Bad Service At A Restaurant?

MikeGillis58

I always tend to tip between 10-15% based on service, but tipped nothing recently to the worst service I'd personally experienced. Sure me and my girlfriend were at a more laid back pub, but it took 15 minutes to be asked what to drink, half an hour in for us to even get offered menues, and by the time she bothered to take our order we had been there nearly an hour. And the kicker is that is wasn't too busy so the waitress was talking to her friend/coworker who was offduty for quite some time during, at the table next to us!

the only reason we stayed was because we were there for the dail special and didn't want to travel to and wait at another place

I don't tip if its a crappy service, I've been told before that I didn't leave a tip and I just said "I know" and walked out, seriously there's no freakin law that says we MUST tip.

But I've also left tips for people who deserve it, like others have stated, it's earned not expected. We shouldn't be rewarding inadequacy

So "beyond excellent service" only earns your server a $1.42? Now your total is $8.53 and you ask your waitress for $1.47 change? I certainly feel fortunate now that I dont work at a pub in Richmond.

I'm not a frivolous spender whatsoever, like I already mentioned, I dont bother going out anymore because it's not in my budget. When I did go out though, if I was well taken care of, I would take care of whoever was serving me even better. Their job is not always easy and most often they deserve more than the few cents they can manage to pry from your grasp.

You can call me a frivolous spender, I can just as easily call you a cheapskate.

6.25+HST at 12% (or in this case, $0.75) comes to $7 exact. Putting an even $10 would mean $3 tips after tax, or 43% tips. Before tax at $6.25, that's 48% tips.

You must either be incredibly frivolous in spending, or have excellent excellent service to justify 43% tips. Even a high tipping percentage of 20% would put the overall bill at $8.25.

Beyond excellent service means I get treated like a regular - the server knows my order right when I sit down, sneaks me a drink every now and then, and comes by to chat about everyday life. In return, I treat her like a person, make my additional orders succulent and to the point, and I generously tip her. My drinks come within one minute, wings within 3-4 minutes, and my orders are sometimes bumped up in priority. That 20% might not be much from one person, but from a party of 5-6 that frequent the pub every week (and sometimes as much as 10-15 people), that gets big.

Where exactly do you come from and what authority do you have in calling me a cheapskate because I don't tip an extra $2 on a $6.25 bill? That money is my hard-earned cash, and given my consistent generous tips of 20% and frequent visits, you are in no position to call me out. Go throw your keyboard into the trash bin; it belongs there.

Well I would up it to at least 9 bucks. It's $0.75...

At the same time when the bill is mighty (like say when i went out for dinner with the gf in Whistler on Saturday night) and she still left a 20% tip on a $180 that was expensive food and drink but not exactly a pain in the neck to serve.

When the tip is less than a buck I really don't mind being way above the so called percent and if the tip is more than 20 bucks I certainly won't cry given out a measly twenty dollar bill......

Beyond excellent service means I get treated like a regular - the server knows my order right when I sit down, sneaks me a drink every now and then, and comes by to chat about everyday life. In return, I treat her like a person, make my additional orders succulent and to the point, and I generously tip her. My drinks come within one minute, wings within 3-4 minutes, and my orders are sometimes bumped up in priority. That 20% might not be much from one person, but from a party of 5-6 that frequent the pub every week (and sometimes as much as 10-15 people), that gets big.

Where exactly do you come from and what authority do you have in calling me a cheapskate because I don't tip an extra $2 on a $6.25 bill? That money is my hard-earned cash, and given my consistent generous tips of 20% and frequent visits, you are in no position to call me out. Go throw your keyboard into the trash bin; it belongs there.

No Canadian citizen should be exempt from income tax so long as they make over a certain amount regardless of their job...yes, that includes servers. My server friend says none of his coworkers report their tips when tax time comes. Maybe for that alone I'll stop tipping. I'd rather spend my hard earned money that is subject to tax on something that will be taxed. Our health care system could use all the funding it can get.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I know this is a bit off topic, but shouldn't servers be paying taxes on these tips? I've worked at pubs in kits where servers and bartenders are taking home 180 to 300 a night. That's a lot of cash that really should be taxed.

Thoughts?

I have never received service so bad that I did not tip. A small mistake that was corrected doesn't mean they deserve retribution and I have tipped in other services that may or not been deemed tip worthy. (ex: tipped 50 dollars for my wolf tattoo)

As for an above question, as far as I know, servers need to claim tips as a part of their income and failure to do so would be tax evasion or an audit at least.

Archived