Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Should You Tip For Bad Service At A Restaurant?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#31 Wheres Fluffy

Wheres Fluffy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

I guess I will change how I tip for now on. Before I tipped 10% if the waiter/waitress did a bad job. Now, I will tip like nothing if they did a bad job. If they do a good job, I will continue on tipping them 15-20%.

#32 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

However to make it look like you aren't just a cheapskate write a note on the bill indicating why you didn't leave a tip, otherwise they'll never learn.

Or do what I do, leave a penny.

#33 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

I believe that tips must be earned, but i've never not tipped

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#34 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

I tip totally based on service. Everyone gets a decent 10-15% tip to start but depending on the service that amount goes either up or down. I've tipped nothing and I've tipped 25% but it always was based on the service i received.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#35 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,663 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

That makes you no better than the poor service - actualy, maybe even worse...

When I was young, I was a Pizza driver and then a waiter for several years.
I'd rather see no tip then some paltry tip of like 8 cents - that's insulting.

When my wait(er)(tress) is rude to me i return the favour.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#36 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

To be honest, I've never really understood why we tip waiters and waitresses anyways. I go, sit down, they ask what I wanna order, I tell them, they bring me my food and then constantly ask how it is even though I've only taken a couple bites. At McDonalds, I go, stand in line, they ask what I wanna order, I tell them, they give me my food and leave me alone. The big difference is at a restaraunt I'm brought my food and at a fast food place I'm given my food right away. Why not tip the lovely McDonald's cashiers?

I understand why in the states we tip waiters and waitresses. They only make $3 an hour or something and their income IS tips. In Canada servers make $9.50 for beginners and above. Seems pretty good seeing as how most servers are in their early 20's and I know of other people in their early 20's/late teens who work $10 or $11 an hour jobs.

I'm not saying I don't tip, I do tip when the service was good. Sometimes I get caught as to whether I should tip. For example: at a local bar here it's 25 cent wing night every Tuesday. I'll go with a friend (if I'm with my girlfriend I always tip) and order myself 10 wings and a pint. My total bill comes to about $6.25 plus hst. The server has a really easy job to do, and my bill is really low. Even tipping 15% would be a tip of less than a dollar. So do I tip? Or not?

#37 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Tipping is optional not expected. It is also a great bonus for exceptional service. If your a server and not happy with your wages, go back to school.
Posted Image

#38 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,515 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

When my wait(er)(tress) is rude to me i return the favour.

So...if someone slams a shopping card into your car door, but you don't know who did it, you slam it into the car next to you just to get revenge?

So I guess you're an eye for an eye type of person?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#39 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,515 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Tipping is optional not expected. It is also a great bonus for exceptional service. If your a server and not happy with your wages, go back to school.

Hard to do sometimes - especially if you're a single mom and you can't get any Government handouts.

Edited by Heretic, 02 April 2012 - 11:52 AM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#40 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

I've tipped even when the food was bad / had to be sent back. (I know this is a big no when going to a restaurant as some places with mess with the food even worse, but when something is old and not edible there is no way we are going to sit there and pretend it's good.)

The waitress was courteous, sometimes had said food comped. I try to overtip just so that they are in a good mood, if not for me but other customers. Plus I know how it feels to work in a restaurant type place and not get tips for busting my ass.
Posted Image

#41 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Empty the pennies out of your pockets and place them on the table.

#42 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

I recently had lunch at a Chinese-owned sushi restaurant and the waitress who served me had the worst atittude. Her facial expression indicates that she doesn't want to be there. This waitress rolls her eyes while taking orders, doesn't respond to customers calls for more tea or napkins. Plus the restaurant was only half full. After the meal, I paid the bill upfront but didn't leave a tip. She gave me a dirty look afterwards. I feel that a tip should be earned, not expected. If the service is bad enough, no tip should be given. I've tipped 20% for excellent service before. Your thoughts?

Been there before.

I bet you would have gotten better friendlier service if you looked like a young Brad Pitt wearing an Armani suit and a Rolex watch.

#43 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,334 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

One thing I hate is when they come to your table every 2-3 min asking how everything is.. Let me eat ffs.. Wait till later to ask how everything was.. We have food in our mouths and want to enjoy our meal.

But I like getting free refills... :P

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#44 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,300 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

One thing I hate is when they come to your table every 2-3 min asking how everything is.. Let me eat ffs.. Wait till later to ask how everything was.. We have food in our mouths and want to enjoy our meal.

Yeah this pisses me off. I understand coming by once and asking how it is and if I'd like anything else, but that's it. After that if my glass isn't near empty and there is food on the plate... F off and leave me alone!

#45 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm leaning towards not giving tips anymore. I don't see why waiters/waitresses deserve it over other workers.

Agreed, but the restaurant industry will fight tooth and nail to keep it the way it is. Why cut into their profits when they can force their patrons to help finance their workers salaries.

It's a genius scam they have going on, gotta give them that.

Posted Image

#46 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,663 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

So...if someone slams a shopping card into your car door, but you don't know who did it, you slam it into the car next to you just to get revenge?

So I guess you're an eye for an eye type of person?

I wouldn't slam a shopping cart back but I am not going to lie; as bad as it may sound I am indeed a vengeful person.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#47 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • 5,551 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

You should keep a penny and use it to tip a crappy server when they are out of circulation haha

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#48 wiseupsucker

wiseupsucker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Agreed, but the restaurant industry will fight tooth and nail to keep it the way it is. Why cut into their profits when they can force their patrons to help finance their workers salaries.

It's a genius scam they have going on, gotta give them that.

it is genius...they cry foul when they have to pay hst, and the servers cry harder whern they get "supposedly" less business from it.

ive worked in alot of restaurants where the servers are walking away with 150 to 450 dollars a night, TAX FREE.

ive heard them bitch about tables, ive seen owners crap on everybody to pay less but expect more. the whole system stinks...

18 percent feee where large tables are concerned? tax free to the servers who should pay into the system like everyone else? are you kidding me?

whole thing stinks cause now you got "baristas" who sling coffee expecting this too

#49 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Wow you guys are such cheap bastards. I get not leaving a great tip if the service is bad but leaving no tip? c'mon tips are what these people work for. They make 9 bucks an hour on 4 hour shifts. You can't live off that. It's pretty embarrassing to go out to a bar with a guy who doesnt tip too. All you have to do is give the bartender a buck or two every drink. If you can't pay tips you should save your money and stop going out.

#50 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Wow you guys are such cheap bastards. I get not leaving a great tip if the service is bad but leaving no tip? c'mon tips are what these people work for. They make 9 bucks an hour on 4 hour shifts. You can't live off that. It's pretty embarrassing to go out to a bar with a guy who doesnt tip too. All you have to do is give the bartender a buck or two every drink. If you can't pay tips you should save your money and stop going out.

Do you also tip retail workers who make 9 dollars an hour on 4 hour shifts?

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#51 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Do you also tip retail workers who make 9 dollars an hour on 4 hour shifts?

.....no but they get commission

#52 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

.....no but they get commission

A lot of them don't. For example, Best Buy (or was that Future Shop?), Toys R Us, etc...

Posted Image
Sig by .CM.

#53 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

A lot of them don't. For example, Best Buy (or was that Future Shop?), Toys R Us, etc...

Sucks for them. They should get a better job that pays more maybe as a waiter? Being a waiter (or waitress) is not supposed to be a minimum wage job. A lot of people make careers out of it because they make good money in tips. It's not an easy job and they deserved to be tipped.

#54 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,504 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

A friend of mine is a stickler for good service at a restaurant. From the minute we arrive till the minute we pay the bill she takes note of how we were treated and she makes all of us follow her verdict on the amount to tip.

I totally think that it should be earned. The whole reason to dine out is to be treated to a meal where you get good service and you can enjoy your food without having to worry about the little things you have to worry about when dining at home. If the experience is anything less than pleasurable it's always a little disappointing.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#55 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,300 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

POPULAR

Sucks for them. They should get a better job that pays more maybe as a waiter? Being a waiter (or waitress) is not supposed to be a minimum wage job. A lot of people make careers out of it because they make good money in tips. It's not an easy job and they deserved to be tipped.

It's comments like these that make me feel like I want to stop tipping all together.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 02 April 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#56 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

I think tipping is a joke. Somehow the employer is getting away with under paying their staff and the consumer is expected to support them.
Well I'm a courier. Should I be tipped? Apparently not. A pizza boy should be. McDonald's staff? No. Some crapty restaurant that serves burgers and booze? Yes.
Messed.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#57 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

It's comments like these that make me feel like I want to stop tipping all together.

Agreed. I absolutely hate it when waiters/waitresses think they're entitled to tips instead of having to earn them.

Posted Image
Sig by .CM.

#58 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

Explain why the consumer should pick up the bill for their wage then? There's a lot of hard jobs that get paid minimum wage. I wear down my body every day and only make 20 an hour. I want tips.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#59 That Person

That Person

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

I've usually been lucky with service. The worst I had was about a month ago, I was at Milestones for a birthday dinner. There was about 10 of us. The service was decent, food was good, but the waitress gave us individual bills with a tip on each bill. Each bill had about $2.50 on it. So $2.50 x 10 = a nice $25 tip. I wasn't too thrilled so I just didn't pay the extra $2.50, but nobody else really noticed or gave a crap since it was only a couple bucks. But still, frack you, waitress. I'm a high school kid making $9.50 an hour, no tips so don't try to take my money! You can't do that, tips are earned. Yeah, that's the worst waitress experience I've had. /end grouchy rant

Edited by That Person, 02 April 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#60 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

If its crap service I give 0% but if its good I give 15% or more.

I knew people when I was in school who did serving and they would make more money in tips than their wage because they had a good personality and made it worth while for the customer.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.