Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Should You Tip For Bad Service At A Restaurant?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#61 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

Actually a funny thing I thought of. There have been cases in which I have refused tips if I felt they weren't warranted. Or if the person was too intoxicated I refused tip and got the customer a taxi. As well I have been rightfully tipped but then taken advantage of later, by the same tipper. Who had me provide extra service the next time without any tip at all. Worked in the tourism hospitality industry. Variety of roles.

Edited by Special Ed, 03 April 2012 - 01:15 AM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#62 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

My gripe with tipping is that no matter what I feel uncomfortable at some point. The whole point of going out is to be free and enjoy yourself. I don't like tipping bartenders and I as a bartender myself. For one thing the people you're serving are getting intoxicated. I'm pretty sure I have missed tipped over/under many times because of being intoxicated. Then felt bad after. Why should I spend money and then feel bad over such a stupid detail?

Not to mention how unfair tipping is. I tipped the girls at Tim hortons. For having to clean up after everyone else, that had failed to throw out their own garbage( which there was garbage can a mere 4 feet away ). Lazy people.

I would much rather have these costs automatically included and tipping on exceptional service only. Expectations by staff make customers feel uncomfortable and that's not good for the service experience. Similar situation to commission based jobs, but I won't get into that.

Anyhow I drastically stepped down my eating out and started cooking at home. Tip myself now and my laundry hasn't ever been cleaner.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#63 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

try having it demanded from you by waitresses #YeahTrueStory
they brought our tea late, didn't really pay attention to us at all, yet when we left they looked at the money and said it wasn't enough... :picard: !#@$%#%^$&^%*&(**_(*(*^%$## :frantic: who in their right mind believes they have the right to demand a tip? I give it if you deserve it; I should've taken money OFF from the tray just for asking me that. Cheeze. (FYI that place was in Rchmnd, across from RC)

family owned businesses are almost always the worst-- they're so comfortable in their work environment; the Uncle F's on Broadway? Sheeze Louise-- the server stared at me, didn't really give a _ _ _ _ or even smile/ greet when she took my order, then walked away, got the pizza baked, put it in front of me again w/ no expression or greeting and just walked away again. NEVER going back to that branch again. #QualityDining

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#64 melissaswiderski

melissaswiderski

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

Just some food for thought,

I've been a server for over six years. There are times where tables do not leave a tip, not because of the level of service, but because of a cultural misunderstanding. (i.e. servers in other parts of the world make $15-$20 per hour so tips aren't expected or parts of South America and Europe have the tip automatically on the bill). So on every bill where a server gets stiffed they are still expected to pay the restaurant a percentage of the bill. For example, my restaurant has a 4% tip out pool, so if I had a $100 bill and they didn't tip, I have to pay $4 of my own pocket for serving the table.

But on topic, as a server, I strongly agree that tips should be earned. Too many people in the industry believe tips are a right of passage and they ruin it for the hardworking servers out there. I more often then not get mediocre to really poor service? Some people have got into the industry for the "money" without matching the job to their personality. Some people just aren't meant to be around people. Today I consider great service to be a somewhat friendly server, who brings me refills, and my food out in a decent time.

There was an interesting story in the news today about how the GM of some steak bar downtown was keeping servers tips and allocating them for regular costs of business (i.e. walkouts, breakages, and staff parties/incentives).

It's so sad how moronic some people are.

Last piece of advice, especially at the more upscale restaurants, especially with the playoffs coming up. (i.e. Earls, Moxies, The Keg and so on) LOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BILL where it's broken down to subtotal and tax. LOOK to see if there is a column labelled GRATUITY or maybe even TIP already included.

Quick story: I went to Moxie's downtown during the Olympics and they threw on an automatic gratuity of 18% (no sign or notice by any of the service staff). The server spilled a jug of water on our table and never came back to clean it up. She gave us our food and put it on top of the puddle actually making the comment "wow, it's like a river on your table". She walked away and never returned until bill time. My boyfriend handed the credit card to be ran through and then left to the washroom. She passed me the portable and I said I couldn't fill it out as it wasn't my card. She responded with "oh I just need you to fill in the tip". I said "I noticed there is already an 18% auto-gratuity already on the bill thought". Her intelligent response, "oh you noticed? most people don't! you must be a server." Case and point, so many servers only see dollar signs and not service. It makes my heart frown. =(

That's about all for my rant tonight. Take care fellow Canucks!

#65 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

the server stared at me, didn't really give a _ _ _ _ or even smile/ greet when she took my order, then walked away, got the pizza baked, put it in front of me again w/ no expression or greeting and just walked away again. NEVER going back to that branch again.

so you're saying she took your order then gave you your food? wow man, are you ok? I can't believe she could be so harsh to you.

I hope you huffed and puffed in a passive aggressive manner then left without saying anything! show her who's boss!

Edited by debluvscanucks, 03 April 2012 - 07:20 AM.
language

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#66 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

so you're saying she took your order then gave you your food? wow man, are you ok? I can't believe she could be so harsh to you.

I hope you huffed and puffed in a passive aggressive manner then left without saying anything! show her who's boss!

:lol:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#67 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

So on every bill where a server gets stiffed they are still expected to pay the restaurant a percentage of the bill. For example, my restaurant has a 4% tip out pool, so if I had a $100 bill and they didn't tip, I have to pay $4 of my own pocket for serving the table.

I think we all understand that, but really what's going on there is you're getting fracked over by the owner. sucks for you, but it's not really the customer's fault that your restaurant's owner is a sleazebag

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 03 April 2012 - 12:59 AM.

#68 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

Nah, ask to speak to a manager and inform of the bad service, you usually get a discount, all you have to do is inform that you love the restaraunt and that you always go with friends and the manager will see the opportunity to wow you and want you to come back

#69 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,524 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

That makes you no better than the poor service - actualy, maybe even worse...

If the service is bad, you've got to let them know. Would you prefer a complaint to the manager?

They need to be reminded that a free market capitalist economy is supposed to be a buyer's and not a seller's market. Therefore, it's the merchants that are supposed to kiss the customers' asses, and not the other way around.

Edited by Buggernut, 03 April 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#70 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,524 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

Just some food for thought,

I've been a server for over six years. There are times where tables do not leave a tip, not because of the level of service, but because of a cultural misunderstanding. (i.e. servers in other parts of the world make $15-$20 per hour so tips aren't expected or parts of South America and Europe have the tip automatically on the bill). So on every bill where a server gets stiffed they are still expected to pay the restaurant a percentage of the bill. For example, my restaurant has a 4% tip out pool, so if I had a $100 bill and they didn't tip, I have to pay $4 of my own pocket for serving the table.

Isn't that illegal?

#71 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

If the service is bad, you've got to let them know. Would you prefer a complaint to the manager?

They need to be reminded that a free market capitalist economy is supposed to be a buyer's and not a seller's market. Therefore, it's the merchants that are supposed to kiss the customers' asses, and not the other way around.

Yes, let them know - but don't be a jerk about it.
No tip means bad service.
8 cents means ignorant and childish customer.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#72 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

My new tipping strategy has been to leave no tips, that way when I do get really great service I can tip liberally. Why waste a dollar or two every time when instead you can tip someone $20 if they do a really good job.

Great service deserves great tips, the rest of them can stick with their minimum wage. If they think its unfair, perhaps they can look into the agriculture industry and how much harder farm labourers work for the same minimum wage.
Posted Image

#73 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,524 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

My new tipping strategy has been to leave no tips, that way when I do get really great service I can tip liberally. Why waste a dollar or two every time when instead you can tip someone $20 if they do a really good job.

Great service deserves great tips, the rest of them can stick with their minimum wage. If they think its unfair, perhaps they can look into the agriculture industry and how much harder farm labourers work for the same minimum wage.

Or less, since farm owners can get around minimum wage laws by paying by quantity.

#74 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,524 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Yes, let them know - but don't be a jerk about it.
No tip means bad service.
8 cents means ignorant and childish customer.

They know damn well why they got the 8 cent tip.

I do hope though that this act is reserved for extreme cases only.

#75 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Exactly, just as I said - Ignorant and chilidish customer gave them an 8 cent tip.

Again, the OP's question is "Should you tip for bad service At A Restaurant?"

It's a simple yes or no answer - which I believe should be no.

The question is NOT "Should I be a jack @ss and make the people here feel bad just because I didn't like the service they provided?"

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#76 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

He was referring to me, and I have only used this act once in my life. (Boston Pizza)

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 03 April 2012 - 09:21 AM.

ifcoyb.jpg

Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck___________small.pngGM - STHS

NHL: Vancouver&Toronto / MLB: Toronto / NBA: Dallas / NFL: Philadelphia

#77 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

My waiter at Red Robin ended up not giving me my meal..

I was in a large group of friends and everyone got theirs, except for me. Needless to say, she didn't get a tip from 10 people.

I rarely ever tip for bad service, why should i dish out extra money for someone that pissed me off?

Posted Image

#78 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Well I guess this thread's gone long enough without having someone post it...

Posted Image

#79 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ

Well I guess this thread's gone long enough without having someone post it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

:huh:

#80 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,524 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Exactly, just as I said - Ignorant and chilidish customer gave them an 8 cent tip.

Again, the OP's question is "Should you tip for bad service At A Restaurant?"

It's a simple yes or no answer - which I believe should be no.

The question is NOT "Should I be a jack @ss and make the people here feel bad just because I didn't like the service they provided?"

We're talking about a situation in which the server goes out of his/her way to make you feel bad, right?

That said, I'd agree that taking down the name on the tag and making a complaint to the manager and/or head office would be the more mature and productive way to go about it.

Anyways, wouldn't life be awfully dull if all questions were to be followed up with a simple black-and-white either/or yes or no type answer?

#81 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

We're talking about a situation in which the server goes out of his/her way to make you feel bad, right?

That said, I'd agree that taking down the name on the tag and making a complaint to the manager and/or head office would be the more mature and productive way to go about it.

Anyways, wouldn't life be awfully dull if all questions were to be followed up with a simple black-and-white either/or yes or no type answer?

No, Yes, Yes. :)

Posted Image

#82 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Aren't tips usually divided between the server and the kitchen staff?

If the service was poor, but the food was good, I'll still usually tip. But there have been times when both were bad and I did not.

Having worked in the industry for 11 years, every place I cooked at did split tips with kitchen staff too. A couple places gave us a percentage of the sales though because they knew their waitresses made horrible tips. Having been there I do tip based on meal/ presentation. I like to tell the server why the tip is there. I thought my serving staff at a few places I worked to stash tips when necessary because if the food sucked the kitchen shouldn't be getting a slice. It worked well at all three restraunts I had the opportunity to be kitchen manager and it ended up making my cooks actually care about cooking. Long story short tips are earned. However some places I have eaten at add the tip to the bill. What's up with that?
Posted Image

#83 melissaswiderski

melissaswiderski

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Isn't that illegal?

You would think so? Does anyone know of how I could prove this is illegal? (i.e. legislation of some sort) =)

#84 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,881 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

I don't tip for bad service as it's supposed to be an incentive for GOOD service, it's not supposed to be a foregone conclusion. if I get ok/good service i tip around 15%, if i get better service than that i give 20%+ according to how good it was.

#85 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Aren't tips usually divided between the server and the kitchen staff?

If the service was poor, but the food was good, I'll still usually tip. But there have been times when both were bad and I did not.

Yes, and I hate this. The cookes get paid usually double what a server is making anyways. That is why, if the service is good, and food is bad, I'll get the manager, and tell them I am only tipping the service/server.

#86 GoodBadUgly

GoodBadUgly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

I've recently switched to 10% tips and 15%+ for exceptionally good food and service. If I get crap service I usually leave a dollar or two or something like that as long as the food is good because I don't want to screw over kitchen staff. IF a waiter/waitress actually asks for a tip, or demands more of a tip or something, IMO that is grounds for completely not tipping. It really pisses me off when waiters do that, and I especially notice this at Chinese owned restaurants where the waiters probably make $5/hour but yeah that is not my problem, they should bitch at the owner not the customers or contact the BBB.

I frequent restaurants quite regularly so tipping 15% is a bit much for me everytime I go. I go to enjoy the food, not the service. I just need the waiter/waitress to hand me my food, answer my requests when i call her, but otherwise shut the hell up. If a waitress comes up to me and asks me how my meal is I deduct from tips beacuse it is annoying as hell. If there was something wrong with the food to the point where I wasn't enjoy it, I would let them know myself they don't need to interrupt my eating.

Tips to waitressses:

Do not ask customers how their food is especially while people are eating/talking it is f*** annoying!!!

Do not ever even say the word "tip" in a sentence to a customer because IMO this is grounds for $0 tip and a complaint to your manager.

Just be real, do not have an overly fake/plastic too friendly personality and also don't come to work in a crapty mood, it annoys the hell out of customers and again, warrants a complaint.

A tad out of topic, but I heard that Chinese people typically do not tip, is this true?

#87 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I've recently switched to 10% tips and 15%+ for exceptionally good food and service. If I get crap service I usually leave a dollar or two or something like that as long as the food is good because I don't want to screw over kitchen staff. IF a waiter/waitress actually asks for a tip, or demands more of a tip or something, IMO that is grounds for completely not tipping. It really pisses me off when waiters do that, and I especially notice this at Chinese owned restaurants where the waiters probably make $5/hour but yeah that is not my problem, they should bitch at the owner not the customers or contact the BBB.

I frequent restaurants quite regularly so tipping 15% is a bit much for me everytime I go. I go to enjoy the food, not the service. I just need the waiter/waitress to hand me my food, answer my requests when i call her, but otherwise shut the hell up. If a waitress comes up to me and asks me how my meal is I deduct from tips beacuse it is annoying as hell. If there was something wrong with the food to the point where I wasn't enjoy it, I would let them know myself they don't need to interrupt my eating.

Tips to waitressses:

Do not ask customers how their food is especially while people are eating/talking it is f*** annoying!!!

Do not ever even say the word "tip" in a sentence to a customer because IMO this is grounds for $0 tip and a complaint to your manager.

Just be real, do not have an overly fake/plastic too friendly personality and also don't come to work in a crapty mood, it annoys the hell out of customers and again, warrants a complaint.

A tad out of topic, but I heard that Chinese people typically do not tip, is this true?

To be honest, Chinese people will tend to tip more often than other asian people - Filipino's tend to be the worst.

I've been a server for 5 years and at times, it does bug me when I know I've provided exceptional service but yet I get very little to no tips (example: Serving a 7+ person table and getting $0). Sometimes its not really about the service, because from my experience, A LOT of people already have the mindset before entering the restaurant to not tip regardless of how well the server performs; it's a psychological thing, sort of like the bystander effect (in a larger group).

Another thing,I especially hate people who tell you the tip is on the table, but its not there when you clear it. What's the point in lying? I'd rather you say "No" than make up some bogus lie that only makes yourself look bad. Most of the time these people come back time after time too..
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#88 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Another thing,I especially hate people who tell you the tip is on the table, but its not there when you clear it. What's the point in lying? I'd rather you say "No" than make up some bogus lie that only makes yourself look bad. Most of the time these people come back time after time too..

hmmm... i wonder if your tips are getting swiped? just curious if it is perhaps a possibility, maybe?

#89 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

hmmm... i wonder if your tips are getting swiped? just curious if it is perhaps a possibility, maybe?

It's not because I can see the whole dining room (and I pay extra attention to their table) from where I collect payment. :P
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#90 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

It's not because I can see the whole dining room (and I pay extra attention to their table) from where I collect payment. :P

oh okay well that's good i guess, you just have asshole customers

i wouldn't put swiping tips past some bus boys i've known

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.