The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should You Tip For Bad Service At A Restaurant?

MikeGillis58

We're talking about a situation in which the server goes out of his/her way to make you feel bad, right?

That said, I'd agree that taking down the name on the tag and making a complaint to the manager and/or head office would be the more mature and productive way to go about it.

Anyways, wouldn't life be awfully dull if all questions were to be followed up with a simple black-and-white either/or yes or no type answer?

I don't tip for bad service as it's supposed to be an incentive for GOOD service, it's not supposed to be a foregone conclusion. if I get ok/good service i tip around 15%, if i get better service than that i give 20%+ according to how good it was.

I've recently switched to 10% tips and 15%+ for exceptionally good food and service. If I get crap service I usually leave a dollar or two or something like that as long as the food is good because I don't want to screw over kitchen staff. IF a waiter/waitress actually asks for a tip, or demands more of a tip or something, IMO that is grounds for completely not tipping. It really pisses me off when waiters do that, and I especially notice this at Chinese owned restaurants where the waiters probably make $5/hour but yeah that is not my problem, they should bitch at the owner not the customers or contact the BBB.

I frequent restaurants quite regularly so tipping 15% is a bit much for me everytime I go. I go to enjoy the food, not the service. I just need the waiter/waitress to hand me my food, answer my requests when i call her, but otherwise shut the hell up. If a waitress comes up to me and asks me how my meal is I deduct from tips beacuse it is annoying as hell. If there was something wrong with the food to the point where I wasn't enjoy it, I would let them know myself they don't need to interrupt my eating.

Tips to waitressses:

Do not ask customers how their food is especially while people are eating/talking it is f*** annoying!!!

Do not ever even say the word "tip" in a sentence to a customer because IMO this is grounds for $0 tip and a complaint to your manager.

Just be real, do not have an overly fake/plastic too friendly personality and also don't come to work in a crapty mood, it annoys the hell out of customers and again, warrants a complaint.

A tad out of topic, but I heard that Chinese people typically do not tip, is this true?

I've recently switched to 10% tips and 15%+ for exceptionally good food and service. If I get crap service I usually leave a dollar or two or something like that as long as the food is good because I don't want to screw over kitchen staff. IF a waiter/waitress actually asks for a tip, or demands more of a tip or something, IMO that is grounds for completely not tipping. It really pisses me off when waiters do that, and I especially notice this at Chinese owned restaurants where the waiters probably make $5/hour but yeah that is not my problem, they should bitch at the owner not the customers or contact the BBB.

I frequent restaurants quite regularly so tipping 15% is a bit much for me everytime I go. I go to enjoy the food, not the service. I just need the waiter/waitress to hand me my food, answer my requests when i call her, but otherwise shut the hell up. If a waitress comes up to me and asks me how my meal is I deduct from tips beacuse it is annoying as hell. If there was something wrong with the food to the point where I wasn't enjoy it, I would let them know myself they don't need to interrupt my eating.

Tips to waitressses:

Do not ask customers how their food is especially while people are eating/talking it is f*** annoying!!!

Do not ever even say the word "tip" in a sentence to a customer because IMO this is grounds for $0 tip and a complaint to your manager.

Just be real, do not have an overly fake/plastic too friendly personality and also don't come to work in a crapty mood, it annoys the hell out of customers and again, warrants a complaint.

A tad out of topic, but I heard that Chinese people typically do not tip, is this true?

Another thing,I especially hate people who tell you the tip is on the table, but its not there when you clear it. What's the point in lying? I'd rather you say "No" than make up some bogus lie that only makes yourself look bad. Most of the time these people come back time after time too..

I always leave a tip, just need them to take my order and bring me my food. I know what it's like to deal with people all day, one idiot customer can chase your smile away in a hurry. Most of them make min. wage, cut them some slack. That being said stop going to crappy 2 star resturants and expect 5 star service, /cough moxies /cough. Come down to marine drive in White Rock, you know the real marine drive lol, alot of beautiful friendly servers.

I always leave a tip, just need them to take my order and bring me my food. I know what it's like to deal with people all day, one idiot customer can chase your smile away in a hurry. Most of them make min. wage, cut them some slack. That being said stop going to crappy 2 star resturants and expect 5 star service, /cough moxies /cough. Come down to marine drive in White Rock, you know the real marine drive lol, alot of beautiful friendly servers.

Wow you guys are such cheap bastards. I get not leaving a great tip if the service is bad but leaving no tip? c'mon tips are what these people work for. They make 9 bucks an hour on 4 hour shifts. You can't live off that. It's pretty embarrassing to go out to a bar with a guy who doesnt tip too. All you have to do is give the bartender a buck or two every drink. If you can't pay tips you should save your money and stop going out.

I've never not left a tip. If it's bad service I'll maybe consider leaving 10% instead of 15. If the service is sub-par I always just figure the restaurant is understaffed or maybe they're just having a bad day. I figure if I'm planning to eat there again, it's better not to tick off the servers Mind you, I generally get pretty good service and I've definitely never had anyone be flat out rude to me. Maybe servers just like me more? (Relax, I'm joking!) Honestly though, as long as the food is good, I'm happy. If it's not, I just won't go back to that restaurant.

I've usually been lucky with service. The worst I had was about a month ago, I was at Milestones for a birthday dinner. There was about 10 of us. The service was decent, food was good, but the waitress gave us individual bills with a tip on each bill. Each bill had about $2.50 on it. So $2.50 x 10 = a nice $25 tip. I wasn't too thrilled so I just didn't pay the extra $2.50, but nobody else really noticed or gave a crap since it was only a couple bucks. But still, frack you, waitress. I'm a high school kid making $9.50 an hour, no tips so don't try to take my money! You can't do that, tips are earned. Yeah, that's the worst waitress experience I've had. /end grouchy rant

To be honest, Chinese people will tend to tip more often than other asian people - Filipino's tend to be the worst.

I've been a server for 5 years and at times, it does bug me when I know I've provided exceptional service but yet I get very little to no tips (example: Serving a 7+ person table and getting $0). Sometimes its not really about the service, because from my experience, A LOT of people already have the mindset before entering the restaurant to not tip regardless of how well the server performs; it's a psychological thing, sort of like the bystander effect (in a larger group).

Another thing,I especially hate people who tell you the tip is on the table, but its not there when you clear it. What's the point in lying? I'd rather you say "No" than make up some bogus lie that only makes yourself look bad. Most of the time these people come back time after time too..

Archived