Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Should You Tip For Bad Service At A Restaurant?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
158 replies to this topic

#151 wiseupsucker

wiseupsucker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

I know this is a bit off topic, but shouldn't servers be paying taxes on these tips? I've worked at pubs in kits where servers and bartenders are taking home 180 to 300 a night. That's a lot of cash that really should be taxed.

Thoughts?

#152 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I know this is a bit off topic, but shouldn't servers be paying taxes on these tips? I've worked at pubs in kits where servers and bartenders are taking home 180 to 300 a night. That's a lot of cash that really should be taxed.

Thoughts?

Of course they should.

#153 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Beyond excellent service means I get treated like a regular - the server knows my order right when I sit down, sneaks me a drink every now and then, and comes by to chat about everyday life. In return, I treat her like a person, make my additional orders succulent and to the point, and I generously tip her. My drinks come within one minute, wings within 3-4 minutes, and my orders are sometimes bumped up in priority. That 20% might not be much from one person, but from a party of 5-6 that frequent the pub every week (and sometimes as much as 10-15 people), that gets big.

Where exactly do you come from and what authority do you have in calling me a cheapskate because I don't tip an extra $2 on a $6.25 bill? That money is my hard-earned cash, and given my consistent generous tips of 20% and frequent visits, you are in no position to call me out. Go throw your keyboard into the trash bin; it belongs there.

I didn't call you a cheapskate, all I said was I could call you a cheapskate because you called me a frivolous spender. We are obviously on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as this topic is concerned.

#154 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thoughts?

I have to disagree. Quite frankly I think the government gets enough/too much tax money from ordinary blue collar people.

#155 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I have to disagree. Quite frankly I think the government gets enough/too much tax money from ordinary blue collar people.

No Canadian citizen should be exempt from income tax so long as they make over a certain amount regardless of their job...yes, that includes servers. My server friend says none of his coworkers report their tips when tax time comes. Maybe for that alone I'll stop tipping. I'd rather spend my hard earned money that is subject to tax on something that will be taxed. Our health care system could use all the funding it can get.
Posted Image

#156 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

No Canadian citizen should be exempt from income tax so long as they make over a certain amount regardless of their job...yes, that includes servers. My server friend says none of his coworkers report their tips when tax time comes. Maybe for that alone I'll stop tipping. I'd rather spend my hard earned money that is subject to tax on something that will be taxed. Our health care system could use all the funding it can get.

Ordinary people are already taxed to death though. The money is there, the government just chooses not to spend enough of it on healthcare and other necessities. Politicians and other government types are more concerned with giving themselves healthy pay raises and living the high life when they are out of town for a meeting or whatever. Flying 1st class, 5 star hotels, lobster dinners, etc.. It's been a bit of a controversy lately from what I've heard on the radio. If that's what are taxes are being spent on then I am quite happy to pay my money to someone knowing it's tax free.

#157 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thoughts?

Tips (both controlled and direct) are considered income and servers (and others) are required to account for that money when filing their income tax returns. And in the case of "controlled tips" the employer should be making statutory deductions.
http://www.cra-arc.g...nd/tps-eng.html
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#158 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thoughts?

The government can go to hell they get enough money from the people. It's not my fault if they misspend it, like on vacations...

I certainly don't make hundred of dollars in cash a year that I don't declare...

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 20 November 2012 - 09:54 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#159 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

I have never received service so bad that I did not tip. A small mistake that was corrected doesn't mean they deserve retribution and I have tipped in other services that may or not been deemed tip worthy. (ex: tipped 50 dollars for my wolf tattoo)

As for an above question, as far as I know, servers need to claim tips as a part of their income and failure to do so would be tax evasion or an audit at least.

Edited by TimberWolf, 21 November 2012 - 02:38 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.