The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible 1St Round Opponent

Arm_chair_GM

I'm more worried about the second round opponents. I think the boys will wrap up the series in 6 or less no matter who they face. This team is going to have a hard fought round to begin this play-off run. Stay healthy and hungry!!

As of right now, the only possible 1st round opponents are Phoenix, San Jose, Dallas or Colorado (as a long shot). Of these opponents, definately Colorado suits us the most due to our absolute dominance of their team. We've handled Dallas fairly well too, so that match up suits me fine. Of Phoenix or San Jose, I'm not too worried about either, but I think I'd prefer to take on San Jose. Generally SJ - Vancouver produce some exciting hockey to watch, and I think we'd dispatch them in 5 or 6. Phoenix makes me a little nervous because I think they can be stifling and I could see that turning into a frustrating, boring battle that doesn't bring out the best in us. So my ranking of preference for 1st round opponents goes like this:

1) Colorado (feint hope)

2) Dallas

3) San Jose (tougher team but most exciting series)

4) Phoenix

Thoughts?

I think people are starting to confuse being "dirty" from being "tough" or "big". Boston is a big team, but they're also extremely dirty. Chicago, while not as dirty as Boston, they still are.

I think the reason a lot of people think San Jose isn't tough is because San Jose isn't really "dirty tough" like Boston or Chicago. Everyone is fit and "tough" enough to endure body checks or a fight in today's NHL. You get injured really when a guy two-hand chops on your leg or tries to break a neck or a back for no apparent reasons and San Jose doesn't do that.

Thornton may not be fooling around and look for trouble, but he can sure take care himself when push comes to shove...something the Twins can't do. And yet, Thornton can even fight when he has to? Remember he fought Getzlaf in the playoffs?

The possible first round opponents for Canucks are:

Phoenix 27.5%

San Jose 26%

Dallas 24.2%

LA 19.3%

Colorado 2.9%

Forget about Avs, I personally would like Nucks to face Stars or Coyotes instead of Sharks or Kings. But we'll have to wait couple more games to have a better picture to see which team Nucks may face.

As of right now, the only possible 1st round opponents are Phoenix, San Jose, Dallas or Colorado (as a long shot). Of these opponents, definately Colorado suits us the most due to our absolute dominance of their team. We've handled Dallas fairly well too, so that match up suits me fine. Of Phoenix or San Jose, I'm not too worried about either, but I think I'd prefer to take on San Jose. Generally SJ - Vancouver produce some exciting hockey to watch, and I think we'd dispatch them in 5 or 6. Phoenix makes me a little nervous because I think they can be stifling and I could see that turning into a frustrating, boring battle that doesn't bring out the best in us. So my ranking of preference for 1st round opponents goes like this:

1) Colorado (feint hope)

2) Dallas

3) San Jose (tougher team but most exciting series)

4) Phoenix

Thoughts?

Archived