Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Possible 1St Round Opponent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#31 enterin

enterin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

at least dallas would be a little more exciting than the coyotes. but at this point im just glad the playoffs are around the corner and im stoked to be watching the nucks bury anyone they come up against. yayyyyyyy its almost playoff time, getting goosebumps just thinking about it!! :towel: :towel: :towel:

Who cares if it is exciting as long as they win ? I am sure one of the series will be exciting but I am hoping for a couple of easy series, that allows the team to not take any injuries...

#32 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Colorado would be the most difficult seeing how close the past few games were.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#33 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

My only hope is that none of the actual canucks players think like the posters on this thread do.

Last thing we need is to assume any opponent is a pushover - that's the only danger of any of these teams in the 1st round.

#34 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

looking at the standings its conceivable we have the exact same plyoff opponents as last year just in different order.
GOD BE PRAISED

#35 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,722 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Clown, Winchester, Burns, Murray, Thornton, White, Winnik all say Hi......
And our toughest guy is.......Weise. lol

Thornton..........Tough?

:bigblush: I guess Henrik must be the second coming of Ulf Samuelsson then.

#36 Zach Morris

Zach Morris

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

With LA and San Jose playing a Home and Home to end the season I believe it will be either 1 of those teams.  I think they both make it, and 1 team will end up 3rd and the other 8th.

I'd rather play San Jose.  Goaltending can steal a series, and Quick is a beast.  Also leave it to Darryl "sloth" Sutter to figure out a way to incorporate a quality trap system in a the post clutch and grab era.

LA is a very very scary team.  They are in a good position going into the playoffs, and haven't figured out a way to score more than 2 goals a game.  With their level of talent it is only a matter of time before they figure it out, and that time could be the playoffs.

So I hope LA finishes 3rd and face either the Wings or Hawks first round, so that one scary team gets eliminated 1st round.  And I would like to face San Jose because their Dcore and goaltending is suspect.

Edited by Zach Morris, 02 April 2012 - 08:34 AM.

Posted Image

"Incredulous"

#37 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

History has shown never take any opponent lightly. LA beating Gretzky (92 goal) and the Oilers in the First round.
Our Canucks finishing 39 points or something like that behind Calgary and ended up going the distance, Or the time the Canucks with a rookie Bure., After winning the division with ease that year. Faced a Winnipeg in the first round in which they had a pretty easy time with in the regular season all of a sudden the Canucks had to clawed their way out of a 3-1 situation to win the series in 7 games.
You know one thing in common with those lower seeded teams I just mention above. They all had a losing record and finished below .500 that year.
Doesn't matter who you play as long as we win . I'll keep saying it there are no easy opponents in the playoffs. Teams 1 thru 8 that makes the dance will have a record over.500 .Every team is going to amp it up abit come playoff time, Especially a lower seeded team facing a top seeded team.

Edited by canacks1970, 02 April 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#38 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Under no circumstance do I want the Kings in the first round. In fact, I'd be happier if they missed the playoffs altogether.

#39 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Most favorable dance partners for us (most to least):

Phoenix - Style less boring than LA, every game would be a home game, demoralized since waiting for Quebec move
Dallas - Weak D, style somewhat more open hence more suited for us
San Jose - makes for most entertaining series, BUT they could actually beat us IF they get goaltending
LA - ugliest thing on ice from entertainment standpoint, most chippy - potential for injuries, also big names may finally show up

#40 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Get ready for a 2nd round Chicago series again! 4 seasons in a row, dayamn!

#41 pahllson2.0

pahllson2.0

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Dallas-round 1.

LA-round 2.

St.louis-round 3.

New york-cup final

#42 BlazeOn

BlazeOn

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

I'm more worried about the second round opponents. I think the boys will wrap up the series in 6 or less no matter who they face. This team is going to have a hard fought round to begin this play-off run. Stay healthy and hungry!!

Totally agree with this.

#43 Kokanee is good

Kokanee is good

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Kassian, Bitz, Lapierre, Kesler, Burrows, Duco, Bieksa, Alberts, Rome, Ballard, all say HI back......

Owned lol

#44 Kokanee is good

Kokanee is good

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

What?  Bitz, Duco say hi from Chicago?  while Alberts and Rome say hi in the press box?
Please note that the San Jose big and tough guys are actually in the lineup regulary.
O yea, Kes and Bur are pest, not tough guys.  Nicy try...

Thornton is a pest not a tough guy and winchester wasn't he the guy that got one punched by volpatti? Watch Murray get flipped by hamhuis again..SJ is big but not very tough

#45 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

I like these match ups.
Nash vs Det awesome.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/stanleycup.htm

#46 wesley

wesley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

As of right now, the only possible 1st round opponents are Phoenix, San Jose, Dallas or Colorado (as a long shot). Of these opponents, definately Colorado suits us the most due to our absolute dominance of their team. We've handled Dallas fairly well too, so that match up suits me fine. Of Phoenix or San Jose, I'm not too worried about either, but I think I'd prefer to take on San Jose. Generally SJ - Vancouver produce some exciting hockey to watch, and I think we'd dispatch them in 5 or 6. Phoenix makes me a little nervous because I think they can be stifling and I could see that turning into a frustrating, boring battle that doesn't bring out the best in us. So my ranking of preference for 1st round opponents goes like this:

1) Colorado (feint hope)
2) Dallas
3) San Jose (tougher team but most exciting series)
4) Phoenix

Thoughts?

Forgot LA?

#47 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thornton..........Tough?

:bigblush:  I guess Henrik must be the second coming of Ulf Samuelsson then.

Thornton may not be fooling around and look for trouble, but he can sure take care himself when push comes to shove...something the Twins can't do. And yet, Thornton can even fight when he has to? Remember he fought Getzlaf in the playoffs?

#48 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Thornton is a pest not a tough guy and winchester wasn't he the guy that got one punched by volpatti? Watch Murray get flipped by hamhuis again..SJ is big but not very tough

Thornton may be a pest, but he is tough enough to handle himself in all situation with his size and strength. You can't say the same about Hank and Danny. Winchester got one punched by Volpatti but you know that was like a one time thing and Volpatti isn't even going to be in our lineup....Murray is as big and as tough as they come. SJ is BIG and TOUGH, maybe not to the extend of the BIG, BAD Bruins, but they certainly have more size and toughness than we can handle in the playoffs....Also, they will for sure look for a revenge after last season! So please, no Sharks in the first round!!!!!!!!

#49 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

I think people are starting to confuse being "dirty" from being "tough" or "big". Boston is a big team, but they're also extremely dirty. Chicago, while not as dirty as Boston, they still are.

I think the reason a lot of people think San Jose isn't tough is because San Jose isn't really "dirty tough" like Boston or Chicago. Everyone is fit and "tough" enough to endure body checks or a fight in today's NHL. You get injured really when a guy two-hand chops on your leg or tries to break a neck or a back for no apparent reasons and San Jose doesn't do that.

#50 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,722 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thornton may not be fooling around and look for trouble, but he can sure take care himself when push comes to shove...something the Twins can't do. And yet, Thornton can even fight when he has to? Remember he fought Getzlaf in the playoffs?

Thornton sticking his fingers in Henrik's face, he's asking to get destroyed like last year when Torres took him out.

The Twins are tougher than Thornton and his soft line mates Marleau and Havlat.

#51 magoomba

magoomba

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Phoenix! Cheap seats, what else can I say?

#52 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Thornton sticking his fingers in Henrik's face, he's asking to get destroyed like last year when Torres took him out.

The Twins are tougher than Thornton and his soft line mates Marleau and Havlat.

Twins tougher than Joe Thornton? lol....Nice try buddy.

#53 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Finally a thread about who we'll be playing in the first round! You must have some sick imagination if you came up with the idea for this thread! Maybe you also came up with mgh= mv^2/2 ?

#54 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

And our toughest guy is.......Weise. lol

Who is 'Clown'? I would have thought that was Thornton but you mentioned him afterwards.

#55 RAP1990

RAP1990

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

And our toughest guy is.......Weise.  lol

Kassian, Lappiere, Alberts, Bieksa, Booth, Kesler, Rome, Ballard all say Hi...

#56 chugmaster41

chugmaster41

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Twins tougher than Joe Thornton? lol....Nice try buddy.

Thornton is far from tough. As soon as the game gets chippy he gets rattled off of his game. The Canucks have OWNED the Sharks more than any of those other teams. Bring them on!

#57 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Any fingers by Thornton or anyone else should be grabbed and bent back till submission.

#58 domyours

domyours

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

The possible first round opponents for Canucks are:

Phoenix 27.5%
San Jose 26%
Dallas 24.2%
LA 19.3%
Colorado 2.9%

Forget about Avs, I personally would like Nucks to face Stars or Coyotes instead of Sharks or Kings. But we'll have to wait couple more games to have a better picture to see which team Nucks may face.

#59 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thornton is far from tough. As soon as the game gets chippy he gets rattled off of his game. The Canucks have OWNED the Sharks more than any of those other teams. Bring them on!

As long as it isn't LA I will be happy. SJ should not be taken lightly. Toughness IMHO is all about finishing checks, driving the net and winning puck battles. Although SJ seems to bail on most of that stuff you cannot be too sure they haven't grown some gonads this season. You cannot deny they have the offensive power to do great damage. On paper their offensive power is better than Van.

#60 oldskool canuckfans

oldskool canuckfans

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

As of right now, the only possible 1st round opponents are Phoenix, San Jose, Dallas or Colorado (as a long shot). Of these opponents, definately Colorado suits us the most due to our absolute dominance of their team. We've handled Dallas fairly well too, so that match up suits me fine. Of Phoenix or San Jose, I'm not too worried about either, but I think I'd prefer to take on San Jose. Generally SJ - Vancouver produce some exciting hockey to watch, and I think we'd dispatch them in 5 or 6. Phoenix makes me a little nervous because I think they can be stifling and I could see that turning into a frustrating, boring battle that doesn't bring out the best in us. So my ranking of preference for 1st round opponents goes like this:

1) Colorado (feint hope)
2) Dallas
3) San Jose (tougher team but most exciting series)
4) Phoenix

Thoughts?

SHARKS

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.