Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Off-Topic Members Disgust Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

#1 SixOhFourCanucks

SixOhFourCanucks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

Don't anyone dare be offensive towards gays, transgenders, blacks etc. here, but it's a free for all for attacking religious/beliefs people. Bunch of hypocrites. Probably think you're so intelligent coming here mocking religious people, and how you're so much better just because you're atheist or something. I am not a religous person myself, but some of the most upstanding people I know are good religious folks, you ignorant, hate spewing people. I have nothing against atheists that can argue logically without getting emotional, or still show respect to other peoples beliefs. THIS goes the same for religous people too. If you can't be an adult about it, keep your beliefs to yourself, everyone can have thier own beliefs, just don't try to shove them down my throat. This subforum for years has been populated with high and uppity, holier than thou members.

#2 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

Although I agree with almost everything you said, you have to realize a lot of people who post here are under 17. Teenagers are not the most mature people in the world. You are taking what these people say to seriously. If they are getting to you, they win.

#3 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,697 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

i totally agree with you

hardliners sucks in all cases..it doesnt matter if political or relgious or non religious
on the paper i´m a catholic... but i call myself atheist cuz i dont believe in this one god...so monotheism
i prefer polytheist religions though
i accept religious and political people if they accept my opinons
i hate extremists who try to oppress other people

179zig.jpg

Credits to Discord for the Signature

iqbl75.jpgCDCGML St.Louis Blues Rosteriqbl75.jpg

"You dream to score your first goal in the NHL. You dream to be here, first of all. To score a hat-trick, that's just an added bonus.Josh Jooris"

#4 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

oh no, some random, anonymous hockey fans are saying mean things about my religion on the internet. i'm going to get mad and go on a little rant about it to make myself feel better.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#5 SixOhFourCanucks

SixOhFourCanucks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

Although I agree with almost everything you said, you have to realize a lot of people who post here are under 17. Teenagers are not the most mature people in the world. You are taking what these people say to seriously. If they are getting to you, they win.

You sure about under 17? I used to post here a few years back, members were mostly older at that time. It's not really just a "message board" thing, it's the fact these people are members of society and probably exhibit similar beliefs/attitudes in society. But, I do take some of these posts a bit too serious, mostly because of how annoying it is.

i totally agree with you

hardliners sucks in all cases..it doesnt matter if political or relgious or non religious
on the paper i´m a catholic... but i call myself atheist cuz i dont believe in this one god...so monotheism
i prefer polytheist religions though
i accept religious and political people if they accept my opinons
i hate extremists who try to oppress other people

Agree with everything you say, extremists=annoying as hell!

oh no, some random, anonymous hockey fans are saying mean things about my religion on the internet. i'm going to get mad and go on a little rant about it to make myself feel better.

This is not about my beliefs, I even mentioned I am far from a religious person.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Welcome to the Internet. Where people post what they are thinking. Interesting view of humans here as opposed to walking around and wondering what people are thinking. On the internet you can see what many actually think. For the most part I can agree that from what I have seen. People, in general, disgust me as well.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#7 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

I agree. When people realize that a poster is defending religious people or IS a religious person - the claws come out, but nothing disrespectful can ever be said about those who aren't religious or any of the other things you mentioned. I don't ever post or personally feel ill of any religion, or colour, or sexual orientation but holy sh*t some people go freaking nuts with their biases on here. At the same time ...it IS the internet, what do you expect, really? ...Ignore, and live your life.

#8 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

Truly nice people don't spend time on CDC.

I'd like to think that I'm kind of nice...but then again, I'm here, so...
Posted Image

#9 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

I used to be religious, then I became an atheist. Now I'm comfortably settled on not caring one way or the other. Life is so much easier this way.

That said... Internet Atheists are the most obnoxious people on CDC.

Christians are easy targets these days.. Western religion is the punchline to a joke that any idiot can make, so many idiots make it.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#10 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

Don't anyone dare be offensive towards gays, transgenders, blacks etc. here, but it's a free for all for attacking religious/beliefs people. Bunch of hypocrites. Probably think you're so intelligent coming here mocking religious people, and how you're so much better just because you're atheist or something. I am not a religous person myself, but some of the most upstanding people I know are good religious folks, you ignorant, hate spewing people. I have nothing against atheists that can argue logically without getting emotional, or still show respect to other peoples beliefs. THIS goes the same for religous people too. If you can't be an adult about it, keep your beliefs to yourself, everyone can have thier own beliefs, just don't try to shove them down my throat. This subforum for years has been populated with high and uppity, holier than thou members.

So why keep coming back if you hate it so much?

Posted Image

#11 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

Welcome to the Internet. Where people post what they are thinking. Interesting view of humans here as opposed to walking around and wondering what people are thinking. On the internet you can see what many actually think. For the most part I can agree that from what I have seen. People, in general, disgust me as well.

No, his/her point was that there is no true freedom of expression allowed on here. At he's correct. But you can blame political correctness. Religiousity is the of pariah of the week.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#12 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,288 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

So why keep coming back if you hate it so much?

He's just making a statement and voicing his opinion.

But here's an interesiting thought.

What if you're Christian and gay?

To be honest, I don't believe anyone here is "safe" from being attacked.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#13 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

I love how the OP considered themselves oppressed merely because religion gets criticism on an internet board, but compares it to homosexuality and blacks which have a history of oppression and worse in North America. Grow some balls, if the worst you get is criticism, you're doing pretty well. Quit being a baby.

Edited by zaibatsu, 02 April 2012 - 05:53 AM.

#14 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

OP's right.

Off Topic is pathetic whenever religion is mentioned.

#15 Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

honestly, I would suggest OP to grow the **** up.

or move to Saudi Arabia.

#16 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,429 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

It really doesn't help your case to throw out a general, sweeping statement without providing topics that you are referencing.

Also: people are born black, gay, etc. but they're not born "religious" - it is a choice. While I agree and don't think that it's something worth targeting, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And the argument usually goes both ways. I can say that there is no "hate" spewing here because it isn't tolerated (or, as the case may be, missed). If you see hate spewing, rather than add to it by making a rather angry thread, report it.

FTR: there is a reason that topics that delve into religion end up closed and yes, OP, people do get inflammatory. We always look at the big picture here - if it's two sides "cramming it down each other's throats" (in any situation here) and both sides have heels dug in, arguing, then we only remove posts that directly violate the rules. You'll find most religious topics get shut down because they lead down this path.

Unfortunately, religion has always been a topic of contention as people have different beliefs. Again, if you see something that violates board rules you have nothing to complain about if you're not reporting it. We can't see everything...so the report button is in place FOR addressing these posts.

Posted Image

#17 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Truly nice people don't spend time on CDC.

I'd like to think that I'm kind of nice...but then again, I'm here, so...

It's OK D-Money................I still like you ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#18 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Kind off topic but...I find it very odd that on a NHL forum/site it's very much okay to insult (including false accusations/libel) hockey players, coaches, teams, GM's but rules are in place to stop this from happening to other posters.
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,288 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Kind off topic but...I find it very odd that on a NHL forum/site it's very much okay to insult (including false accusations/libel) hockey players, coaches, teams, GM's but rules are in place to stop this from happening to other posters.

Kind of like the Law - crimminals seem to be protected better than victims.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#20 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

It really doesn't help your case to throw out a general, sweeping statement without providing topics that you are referencing.

Also: people are born black, gay, etc. but they're not born "religious" - it is a choice. While I agree and don't think that it's something worth targeting, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And the argument usually goes both ways. I can say that there is no "hate" spewing here because it isn't tolerated (or, as the case may be, missed). If you see hate spewing, rather than add to it by making a rather angry thread, report it.

They aren't born gay either for your information. Thank you OP, I wholeheartedly agree with this thread.
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#21 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,429 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

"Insulting" players of other teams is often done in a light hearted way....as a member of an opposing team's fanbase, if you find it insulting then perhaps it isn't the place to be? It is a place that Canuck fans vent and, yes, potshots are taken at the opposition in relation to that at times.

Again - the report button directs mods to the posts in question. If you aren't using that, you really have no reason to complain.

(Lateralus - I know you did in that instance that you're referring to and the post was reviewed)

Of course gay people are born that way...

Posted Image

#22 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

They aren't born gay either for your information. Thank you OP, I wholeheartedly agree with this thread.

Why don't you think they are born gay? First hand experience I have to assume since you seem so sure in your statement.

Anyways...

As far as the actual problem it's that of respect and in my experience here the lack of respect comes from both sides thinking they are ever so smart and ever so right. IMO if you look at the God thread from way back in the day you can see it quite nicely there. Not ever person and not both sides all the time but that lack of respect (and what apparently disgusts you...bit dramatic btw) comes from everyone.

I also got a really good laugh at special ed's comment here given the topic.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 02 April 2012 - 08:25 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,143 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

The problem isn't religion or beliefs it's how people deal with it.

It amazes me that most religions preach, tolerance, love for your fellow humans, and to do good works with charity, and the planet.

Yet, the religious structures seem to promote hatred, xenophobia, treat women like garbage or property, and seem to only want money and power.

I'm being like George Carlin, I think I'll turn to a sun worshiper. There's no rules, no hymns. It's just there in the morning and goes away in the evening. The sun never asks me to hurt someone, dress a certain way, or give money to it. Outside of overexposure to the sun giving me skin cancer it's a nice friendship. And If someone says who's your God? I can actually point to mine in the daylight. From a scientific point of view the sun provides me with heat, light, and asks for nothing in return. Now that's a friend worth worshiping.

Now excuse me I have to look at booking a flight to Hawaii so I can have a religious experience....

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 02 April 2012 - 07:31 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#24 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,429 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

I thought about locking this, as I don't believe the answer to addressing problems is by being inflammatory or calling an entire base of people "digusting", ignorant, etc. Fighting fire with fire is never a good idea. You're part of the problem at that point, not the solution. Which is often the case in religious discussions here - both sides are usually guilty and on the attack and it results in threads being shut down as a result.

You can't expect to jump into the ring, then cry foul when someone lands a blow. If someone is being attacked, we will respond. But if that person is also engaged and swinging back, then we simply step back and referee at that point. All inappropriate comments will be removed (if seen or reported). However, we also urge those witnessing these comments to step back and not open fire in retaliation - then we have two guilty parties (and the easiest route is to simply shut things down at that point).

Because people are having some legitimate discussion and responding in a civilized manner, we'll leave this. But to start out by throwing jabs is not the best way to address eliminating them.

Posted Image

#25 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

responding in a civilized manner, we'll leave it.

someone's going to feel like they are being tempted......

:P
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#26 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

Information is usually useful, this is not. It's just a baseless assertion pretending like it's informative.. for your information. ;)

Edited by zaibatsu, 02 April 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#27 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Information is usually useful, this is not. It's just a baseless assertion pretending like it's informative.. for your information. ;)

Oh well played sir well played.
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#28 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

He's just making a statement and voicing his opinion.

But here's an interesiting thought.

What if you're Christian and gay?

To be honest, I don't believe anyone here is "safe" from being attacked.

I'm just making the point that he/she doesn't have to come to off topic if he/she doesn't like it. I don't go to places that I find offensive to me. Everyone is allowed an opinion no one is castigating him for having his. I think asking a person why they keep coming back to somewhere they don't like or want to be associated with is not out of bounds or in bad taste.

Posted Image

#29 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'm just making the point that he/she doesn't have to come to off topic if he/she doesn't like it. I don't go to places that I find offensive to me. Everyone is allowed an opinion no one is castigating him for having his. I think asking a person why they keep coming back to somewhere they don't like or want to be associated with is not out of bounds or in bad taste.

You disgust me. ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

"Insulting" players of other teams is often done in a light hearted way....as a member of an opposing team's fanbase, if you find it insulting then perhaps it isn't the place to be? It is a place that Canuck fans vent and, yes, potshots are taken at the opposition in relation to that at times.

Again - the report button directs mods to the posts in question. If you aren't using that, you really have no reason to complain.

(Lateralus - I know you did in that instance that you're referring to and the post was reviewed)

Of course gay people are born that way...

I agree that there are many cases where it's just having fun and kidding around, even posters do it to the Canucks.
But...there are many times where it seems serious and even on the illegal side.

As for the post that was reviewed it remains, accusing a player of taking HGH without any proof is technically libel.
Could I go around accusing the Canucks of such things?

I just think it's odd is all.
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.