The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off-Topic Members Disgust Me

GJ: just because some may make the "choice" to be gay, doesn't mean everyone has. I'd guess some of those people had underlying tendencies that they're just tuning into. Some may feel pushed in that direction as a result of other factors in their lives. For those who choose, it's more to do with preference than orientation but they don't necessarily represent true gay people in the sense of the word. They have "picked" a lifestyle, but not all people have that choice...they're driven from within and they can't deny that.

I know people who showed obvious signs in early elementary school, long before they even understood sexuality or would have reason to be making a choice...it was simply pre-determined for them. And there are plenty of studies heading in that direction:

http://www.scientifi...s-brains-of-gay

There are people who will latch onto things and make choices to fulfill needs in their own lives...it doesn't mean they are the only cases or represent all gay people. Some may want attention. To fill a void that wasn't being filled. To be different or breakaway from a lifestyle they're trying to escape. The gay people I know did not choose...they've known since early on and it wasn't something they felt they could change or decide against.

But we're veering off track now.

How the hell would I know? Read through this thread. There are people who claim it's a fact. I asked for support (knowing it doesn't exist). I don't know, and that's cool with me. I take exception to those who DO pretend to know.

How would I know?

However, I do know that the summation of your life and experiences have lead to you to be attracted to certain aspects of females. And certain degrees of sexual activity that excite you DO stem from your life experiences (i.e. choices)

GJ: just because some may make the "choice" to be gay, doesn't mean everyone has. I'd guess some of those people had underlying tendencies that they're just tuning into. Some may feel pushed in that direction as a result of other factors in their lives. For those who choose, it's more to do with preference than orientation but they don't necessarily represent true gay people in the sense of the word. They have "picked" a lifestyle, but not all people have that choice...they're drive from within and they can't deny that. I know people who showed obvious signs in early elementary school, long before they even understood sexuality or would have reason to be making a choice...it was simply pre-determined for them. And there are plenty of studies heading in that direction: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=study-says-brains-of-gay There are people who will latch onto things and make choices to fulfill needs in their own lives...it doesn't mean they are the only cases or represent all gay people. Some may want attention. To fill a void that wasn't being filled. To be different or breakaway from a lifestyle they're trying to escape. The gay people I know did not choose...they've known since early on and it wasn't something they felt they could change or decide against. But we're veering off track now.

A bisexual is quite clearly defined as someone who has sexual attraction to both genders. Is there an alternate definition I'm unaware of?

Edit: Damn, I just realized how wordy my posts get when I'm writing papers at the same time :lol:

If I get a warning for this, well, it was absolutely worth it.

Glassjaw, holy hell are you ever painfully ignorant. I generally like to focus on someone's argument, rather than their character, but in this case the two are inseparable. You are as dumb as your idea is stupid. I don't think I could ever get through to you, and I'm not going to try, but if I didn't say how full of BS I think you are, I would forever feel like a coward. Please go back to your cave and learn how to use fire to cook meat, we'll call that a good start.

If CDC were a big room, everything people say would be different. It's literally the sheer fact that one can say something to hurt someone else, without getting a kick in the face. Since all one can do is respond back, it doesn't matter to anything what someone says online.

I think a lot of people truly get the whole "CDC is like my second home" thing way to far in their head.

Oh and if CDC were a big room, I swear to god I could name 20 people that I would get the greatest pleasure out of socking in the face. The thing is, it isn't. So as much as you're saying your not taking it to heart, you're taking it to heart.

Glassjaw, holy hell are you ever painfully ignorant. I generally like to focus on someone's argument, rather than their character, but in this case the two are inseparable. You are as dumb as your idea is stupid. I don't think I could ever get through to you, and I'm not going to try, but if I didn't say how full of BS I think you are, I would forever feel like a coward. Please go back to your cave and learn how to use fire to cook meat, we'll call that a good start.

This is a concise and rational argument that contributes to the conversation and provides a reasonable opinion. Writing out points about why you think he is wrong is more helpful than insulting him, regardless of history.

I get what you're saying, I honestly do. 99/100 times that would be my approach, to add to the conversation with a reasonable opinion based on logic and proof. In this instance, it's just so mind-numbing that I'm calling shenanigans on the BS. It's worth the effort to stand against the stupidity, it is not worth it to pick it apart. Anyone with two firing brain cells already knows how wrong he is.

I get what you're saying, I honestly do. 99/100 times that would be my approach, to add to the conversation with a reasonable opinion based on logic and proof. In this instance, it's just so mind-numbing that I'm calling shenanigans on the BS. It's worth the effort to stand against the stupidity, it is not worth it to pick it apart. Anyone with two firing brain cells already knows how wrong he is.

his argument is that there isn't 100% proof that sexuality is 100% predetermined, and people should stop acting like it's an issue comparable to the colour of someone's skin, when it's obviously way more complex than that. i think that is a reasonable central argument, don't you?

Being a politically conservative Blackhawks fan I understand I will get a rough ride here from time to time.

No problems with it in the least, as I have thick skin and sharp elbows... I get equal parts enjoyment and amusement being on CDC with it's cast of "colorful characters".

his argument is that there isn't 100% proof that sexuality is 100% predetermined, and people should stop acting like it's an issue comparable to the colour of someone's skin, when it's obviously way more complex than that. i think that is a reasonable central argument, don't you?

Not really. It's highly dubious. Clearly there are people who can choose what sexual acts they like to participate in. However, there are clearly many others who cannot choose their sexuality. This really isn't what the debate is about. It is an issue like someone's skin colour in that sexuality is a fundamental part of a person's character.

The argument that some people choose their sexuality is really just a smoke screen to deny people certain rights based on their sexuality.

Not really. It's highly dubious. Clearly there are people who can choose what sexual acts they like to participate in. However, there are clearly many others who cannot choose their sexuality. This really isn't what the debate is about. It is an issue like someone's skin colour in that sexuality is a fundamental part of a person's character.

The argument that some people choose their sexuality is really just a smoke screen to deny people certain rights based on their sexuality.

Archived