The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off-Topic Members Disgust Me

"Insulting" players of other teams is often done in a light hearted way....as a member of an opposing team's fanbase, if you find it insulting then perhaps it isn't the place to be? It is a place that Canuck fans vent and, yes, potshots are taken at the opposition in relation to that at times.

Again - the report button directs mods to the posts in question. If you aren't using that, you really have no reason to complain.

(Lateralus - I know you did in that instance that you're referring to and the post was reviewed)

Of course gay people are born that way...

The problem isn't religion or beliefs it's how people deal with it.

It amazes me that most religions preach, tolerance, love for your fellow humans, and to do good works with charity, and the planet.

Yet, the religious structures seem to promote hatred, xenophobia, treat women like garbage or property, and seem to only want money and power.

I'm being like George Carlin, I think I'll turn to a sun worshiper. There's no rules, no hymns. It's just there in the morning and goes away in the evening. The sun never asks me to hurt someone, dress a certain way, or give money to it. Outside of overexposure to the sun giving me skin cancer it's a nice friendship. And If someone says who's your God? I can actually point to mine in the daylight. From a scientific point of view the sun provides me with heat, light, and asks for nothing in return. Now that's a friend worth worshiping.

Now excuse me I have to look at booking a flight to Hawaii so I can have a religious experience....

I thought about locking this, as I don't believe the answer to addressing problems is by being inflammatory or calling an entire base of people "digusting", ignorant, etc. Fighting fire with fire is never a good idea. You're part of the problem at that point, not the solution. Which is often the case in religious discussions here - both sides are usually guilty and on the attack and it results in threads being shut down as a result.

You can't expect to jump into the ring, then cry foul when someone lands a blow. If someone is being attacked, we will respond. But if that person is also engaged and swinging back, then we simply step back and referee at that point. All inappropriate comments will be removed (if seen or reported). However, we also urge those witnessing these comments to step back and not open fire in retaliation - then we have two guilty parties (and the easiest route is to simply shut things down at that point).

Because people are having some legitimate discussion and responding in a civilized manner, we'll leave this. But to start out by throwing jabs is not the best way to address eliminating them.

I'm just making the point that he/she doesn't have to come to off topic if he/she doesn't like it. I don't go to places that I find offensive to me. Everyone is allowed an opinion no one is castigating him for having his. I think asking a person why they keep coming back to somewhere they don't like or want to be associated with is not out of bounds or in bad taste.

"Insulting" players of other teams is often done in a light hearted way....as a member of an opposing team's fanbase, if you find it insulting then perhaps it isn't the place to be? It is a place that Canuck fans vent and, yes, potshots are taken at the opposition in relation to that at times.

Again - the report button directs mods to the posts in question. If you aren't using that, you really have no reason to complain.

(Lateralus - I know you did in that instance that you're referring to and the post was reviewed)

Of course gay people are born that way...

Being a politically conservative Blackhawks fan I understand I will get a rough ride here from time to time.

No problems with it in the least, as I have thick skin and sharp elbows... I get equal parts enjoyment and amusement being on CDC with it's cast of "colorful characters".

Just going by my general observation through the years: in many cases, the Atheists and anti-religious folks on Off Topic see themselves as opponents of what they believe to be ignorance and bigotry, and choose to fight it by criticizing and attacking religion and the religious. In most cases, the attacks become quite offensive and is taken as ignorance and bigotry by the religious.

Bigotry, in all its forms, should be forbidden on this board as the Canucks Official Site is supposed to be a family friendly environment. This is not to say that religion or other beliefs cannot be criticized academically, that in itself is a useful excercise, but discussions should remain bigotry free.

Being a politically conservative Blackhawks fan I understand I will get a rough ride here from time to time.

No problems with it in the least, as I have thick skin and sharp elbows... I get equal parts enjoyment and amusement being on CDC with it's cast of "colorful characters".

I agree with the OP to an extent, that's why I don't log on here nearly as much as I used to. Whenever I do log on here, I see the same small concentration of names posting the same opinions. Also what you need to realize is some people were born to argue and posting on internet forums is what they look forward to during the day. As was said, if it really gets to you just don't log on. I probably won't be coming here too much anymore until a bit of turnover of members happens

Archived