The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet -- Kesler One Of 2012 Disappointments

combover

Meh. They had to throw in a name from Vancouver. They could've chosen one of the Sedins, but went with Kesler.

Not sure how the 'engine' player on a Presidents-calibre team is a disappointment though.

The only other player selected was Scott Gomez. Yeah... Kesler was a close second. *cough*

TOML

i agree with this article. I mean Kesler hasnt been as good or effective as he was last year. With saying that he did have surgery so that plays a part, not to mention the entire team has had their ups and downs throughout the year, so it's not like it's just Kesler who hasnt performed as he should. The Sedins have had their moments of disappointing hockey.

The team is looking good now though and that is the main thing. Im sure we'll see Kesler on fire in the playoffs, he always finds a way to step it up :)

the problem with kesler is he can no longer hit the net.. last year everything he shot the goalie was forced to make a save; this year everything he shoots is a mile wide no matter how far or close he is to the net.

Here's an experiment that may sound surprising, but I'd really like to see AV trying moving Daniel Sedin move into 2nd line center position when he comes back for the playoffs, and here's why ...

In the clutch and grab reality of the 2011/2012 season the Sedins have dropped about 30 points off their pace of last year. Teams around the league have realized the refs are calling a loss less interference in general, and its been open season on the Sedins. That will get even worse in the playoffs, when the Sedins have often been disappeared during the mugging.

But an interesting thing happened since Daniel's injury though. Henrik went up about 11 plus/minus points, and I don't think its a coincidence. With Lapierre and Burrows he has too gritty linemates who can both create their own space, and space for him, and that line is starting to shine. I think the same principle could work on the 2nd line. Daniel can score, but like Henrik, he's a superb passer. I would love to see him dishing sweet setups to Kesler and Booth. I think a second line like this could click, and get them scoring again, and make us dangerous through three lines. And AV can always put the Sedins together again for the PP where their passing can take advantage of the man advantage.

the kesler section is pretty much bang on.

its just strange that he is singled out as one of only 3 players who were league wide.

likely needed something to include about the canucks.

kesler amongst the top three individual disappointments of the season is pretty far-off.

but who cares really.

there is a lot of guys better suited to be on this list from losing squads Heatly richards carter or maybe even ovie or thorton.

i don't think you put a player on a list of disappointments when they are on a team that might win a presidents trophy for the second year, besides the fact he does so much more than score.

Kes numbers may be down but he most certainly hasn't been a disappointment.

Doesn't matter if you're coming back from injury. The fact is your GP (games played) counter went up but your points counter did not. Kesler is underperforming this season for sure. And it has trickled down the roster with our PP % going down and our Goals/Game dropping from 1st to 7th.

Sure he may not be the BIGGEST disappointment, but I'm sure if you ask him, he will be the first one to say he hasn't had the best of seasons.

2012 > 0.65 points per game, 0.3 goals per game

2011 > 0.89 points per game, 0.5 goals per game

2010 > 0.91 points per game, 0.3 goals per game

2009 > 0.72 points per game, 0.32 goals per game

Despite opinions; goals are pretty much on par with track record, save his breakout year in goals last year. But points are waaay off, the critique is fair. And in 2010, 0.91 points per game may have been his best year, as he was not routinely our net presence on the first PP.

Hopefully him, and the Twins, are just storing for the run to Stanley?

I'd venture to guess that Kesler has even more talent on his wings this year than last.  He should be putting up the numbers imo.

With that said, there are several factors why I am not surprised he isn't.... his injury being the main factor imo.

Archived