The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet -- Kesler One Of 2012 Disappointments

combover

2knd line sure; center?

Why play Danny & Kess out of position... But Danny could be the play maker the line has craved, plus, despite his size, he's brilliant on the boards.

Here's an experiment that may sound surprising, but I'd really like to see AV trying moving Daniel Sedin move into 2nd line center position when he comes back for the playoffs, and here's why ...

In the clutch and grab reality of the 2011/2012 season the Sedins have dropped about 30 points off their pace of last year. Teams around the league have realized the refs are calling a loss less interference in general, and its been open season on the Sedins. That will get even worse in the playoffs, when the Sedins have often been disappeared during the mugging.

But an interesting thing happened since Daniel's injury though. Henrik went up about 11 plus/minus points, and I don't think its a coincidence. With Lapierre and Burrows he has too gritty linemates who can both create their own space, and space for him, and that line is starting to shine. I think the same principle could work on the 2nd line. Daniel can score, but like Henrik, he's a superb passer. I would love to see him dishing sweet setups to Kesler and Booth. I think a second line like this could click, and get them scoring again, and make us dangerous through three lines. And AV can always put the Sedins together again for the PP where their passing can take advantage of the man advantage.

I was hoping he would have an offensive season, but the only reason he's been a "disappointment" was because he set such a high standard for a Selke winner.

They have to take into consideration that he didn't play the first part of the season. His two-playing ability is still likely near the top.

^^^^^^^ and im guessing he didnt get a chance to shoot 100-150 pucks a day in the offseason, w.e. number it was, that was a huge reason for his offensive burst last year, his wrister just doesn't have that same quick release and accuracy it had last year

as per sportsnet:

Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks

While the Canucks have another Northwest Division title under their belts and another chance to reach the Stanley Cup final, one part of their team that has regressed this season is Ryan Kesler.

Kesler, a 40-goal scorer last season and someone who has averaged 69 points over the last three seasons, struggled offensively this season for his hockey club. While Kesler will either get close to the 50-point mark or get just below it, it will be a low for him in his last three seasons after getting 73 points last season and 75 points the season prior.

On the other hand, Kesler has done everything else right for the Canucks. He kills penalties, is aggressive, works hard and creates scoring chances.

With that said, when the Canucks needed him to step up offensively this year, Kesler failed to come through in the manner in which he usually does.

anything to write something negative about a team that has been in the top half of the standings for 90% of the season. he fails to mention the surgery Kes had in the off season.

only vancouver gets negative media for being a winner

don't know about other people, but I think he's looked much better this season. Just the point total isn't there--like a lot of the canucks. It'd help if they got proper linemates for Kesler and Booth to gel into instead of giving everyone a shot and gettirg rid of the chemistry

The part of Keslers game that is missing is the strong strides in to the attacking zone and toward the net. He looks more like a slugish Mason Raymond where he cant go to the net hard. But he does so much outside of offense that is great. Unfortunatly, for us to go far, we will have to have his offense as well. It seems though we have all heard the phrase that Kessler must have some injury and is playing less than 100%. So far its been every post season and now people using it for his reduced offensive numbers this year too. At some point we have to just accept what we get is what he is only capable of.

Ok, first you people are saying Lu is a dissapointment, then saying that Bieksa sucks as a D, and now Kes?!?! COME ON PEOPLE!!! He had a hip surgery, he missed all of training camp, its not HIS fault!!! Hockey isnt a one man game, its a TEAM game, so what if he doesnt score? Look at Hank...he hasnt scored in a while, is he a dissapointment? NOOOOO!!!!! Maybe Kes will come back in these few games, or maybe just like last years playoffs where he will score the clutch and great goals. Jus wait people, stop bashing everyone like its "THEIR" fault that they are coming back from injuries and such.

I would say he has just been too stubborn, he has not been able to hit the net, nevermind score, and has be too stubborn to stop shooting. When he needed to get back to make superman defensive plays to keep pucks alive and make plays, he has continued to fire his blistering wristshot hard into the boards and glass behind the net... Needs to use his speed and find the trailer on his plays.

don't know about other people, but I think he's looked much better this season. Just the point total isn't there--like a lot of the canucks. It'd help if they got proper linemates for Kesler and Booth to gel into instead of giving everyone a shot and gettirg rid of the chemistry

Try looking back and seeing just how many different linemates he's had and they're ALL useless so we say..He's a $5Mil player TRY looking at the common denominator it's Kesler.Maybe just maybe he is the problem with the 2nd line.He isn't paid $5mil to be the best defensive player.

No, but he is being paid $5m to be one of the league's best two-way forwards.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=521962

He's being paid to play Selke calibre defence on top of 60-75pts a season. This year he is under the 60pt pace and a drop off of abot 20-25pts. Incidentally, aren't the Sedins also 20-25pts off of their 100pt Art Ross pace of the past few seasons?

Hmmmm... I guess Kesler isn't the only one "struggling" this year? Just look at Mike Richards for perspective on Kesler's year. It's not like Richards' contract is twice as long and worth double the dollars of Kesler's contract or anything...

I have quoted in other threads about the sedins, booth, raymond and other players as you say struggling this season.I only mentioned Kesler because well the title says it all.Also i think no-one is mentioning players from other teams is they're not the players we are hoping will show up other than as a defensive forward.We need the other side of him to show.Thus showing us the two-way forward you talk about.And you do realize your quote was from year 2010.

Archived