Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

votrechien

Does Bettman Deserve More Credit?

15 posts in this topic

Bettman has been the league's whipping boy for years now. His arrogant attitude no doubt makes him an easy target. But if you look at what he's done after the lockout, his results are arguably incredible.

-Instituted a salary cap which created unparalleled league equity. Who hasn't been intrigued at least a little by the teams fighting to get into the playoffs, especially the race in the West?

-Instituted rule changes which has seen goal scoring go way up

-Developed the "Winter Classic". Love it or hate it, it's the NHL's 'day'.

-Negotiated the largest TV contract in history with NBC and increased general TV popularity for the NHL (last year's SCF was one of the most watched in history)

-Brought an NHL team back to Canada.

Gary's an easily dislikable figure, but judging from a strictly results point-of-view, especially for the past few years, doesn't he deserve more credit?

Definitely does. He's done a lot for hockey - signed that huge deal with NBC to get hockey going in the US, and its huge now!

There's things we don't like about what he does, and the conspiracy's, but other than that, he's been doing a fair job.

Pros:

Hockey is as big as its ever been

Salary Cap implemented(Arguably the best thing to ever happen to hockey)

Brought in major events(e.g WinterClassic/Reformed allstar Game)

The Post-Lockout rules

Cons:

Many of you may disagree, but eastern bias.

Removing the old feel of hockey

Kicking a dead horse in trying to grow hockey in the south (e.g Florida/Atlanta/Phoenix)

IF he made these moves it would make the NHL %100 times better

Phoenix to Quebec

Florida to Seattle

Carolina to Wisconsin

How does this improve the league?

Phoenix to Quebec is obvious, already a huge hockey market with a large fanbase.

Florida to Seattle would be very helpful because 1. All the Panthers fans would cheer for the lightning thus increasing the Lightning attendence.

I think Wisconsin is hungry for some professional hockey and can fill up the arena for a college game I think they can for sure support a team. Carolina fans would then cheer for the Predators making it a win win.

Bettman has been the league's whipping boy for years now. His arrogant attitude no doubt makes him an easy target. But if you look at what he's done after the lockout, his results are arguably incredible.

-Instituted a salary cap which created unparalleled league equity. Who hasn't been intrigued at least a little by the teams fighting to get into the playoffs, especially the race in the West?

-Instituted rule changes which has seen goal scoring go way up

-Developed the "Winter Classic". Love it or hate it, it's the NHL's 'day'.

-Negotiated the largest TV contract in history with NBC and increased general TV popularity for the NHL (last year's SCF was one of the most watched in history)

-Brought an NHL team back to Canada.

Gary's an easily dislikable figure, but judging from a strictly results point-of-view, especially for the past few years, doesn't he deserve more credit?

yes, he definitely does. the league is doing great and is getting way more exposure than in the past.

from wikipedia: "Under Bettman, the NHL has seen rapid growth of league revenues, from $400 million when he was hired to over $3.0 billion in 2010–11."

that's very impressive.

also lets not forget he championed the Canadian assistance program, which helped teams like the Canucks to stay alive during the hard times.

and he tried to get non-traditional markets into the game of hockey. why is this a bad thing? sure, the results aren't great, but it hasn't been all bad either. either way, it was a gamble, and if it had worked, everyone would be praising him right now.

The owners certainly think he does as they extended him like last year.

-The salary cap is a good thing, but he didn't invent the idea. Right place, right time.

-More scoring isn't what the NHL needed, in my opinion. So the rule changes that led to that aren't really that impressive to me. What I do like is the effort to minimize injuries. He should get a little credit for that, but again, right place right time. I think any commissioner would make an effort to change that.

-The winter classic is cool, so I'll give a little bit of props. Hard to say how much of it is his idea, so hard to give him credit there, too.

-The huge TV contract isn't in itself a good thing. One of the things I used to like about the NHL is how much different than the usual US sports is was. Bettman was a big part of the NBA being the way it is now, and that's not a good thing.

I like the idea of the NHL gaining a bigger audience, but at what cost? Shootouts? More scoring? We'll see.

-Bringing the Jets back is awesome, but again, right place right time.

All in all, he is a douche. And if I had it my way he would be replaced immediately.

All of the things you listed could easily have been done by any commissioner, and with much greater facility.

I think he should get a little credit, yes. But I also think he should get the boot. He's ruining the game in many ways.

Time will bear it out. I only hope he replaced before things get too weird.

He's made a bunch of mistakes for sure, but in reality he's done a lot more good for NHL hockey than bad. So yes, he does deserve more credit.

Does Bettman Deserve More Credit?

you're everything that's wrong with the typical canadian hockey fan.