The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salo Feeling Healthy And Ready To Take On Another Year

Stick-in-Rink

I was thinking he took a paycut to remain on this Team ?

Afterall, He made almost 15 Million from the Canucks in 4 yrs only averaging around 64 games/year?

Except 2010, when He only played 27

When You take into account most players play 80 or so games per season

Salo has been well paid for how many games He actually plays

Completely true; but we also did pretty well without Salo 85% of last season.

god i hope he stays...love salo, unless webber fills the hole left by losing him were pretty screwed defensively. its extremely apparent this season just him being part of a game makes a big difference.

He hasn't been quite sharp of late which is something I've noticed with Salo - he's our best defenceman in small spurts, but after playing so many consecutive games he starts to wear down and get sluggish and look slow out there.

In the first dozen games of the season he was IMO our best player and I believe lead the team in points for a while, then slowed down as his body did.

The reason he was so great last playoffs was the long injury layoff, so I'm not sure how he'll perform after playing so many regular season games plus post season this year.

I say we healthy-scratch him for the rest of the season to give him an extra week off which will pay huge dividends for us in the first round at least.

This is definitely true, which is why he's a great fit on a team with a lot of depth like ours, where he can mentor younger players without logging the game minutes you'd expect from somebody this good. I'd love to see Connauton pick up some of Salo's game, and hope they're both on the Canucks next year.

He hasn't been quite sharp of late which is something I've noticed with Salo - he's our best defenceman in small spurts, but after playing so many consecutive games he starts to wear down and get sluggish and look slow out there.

In the first dozen games of the season he was IMO our best player and I believe lead the team in points for a while, then slowed down as his body did.

The reason he was so great last playoffs was the long injury layoff, so I'm not sure how he'll perform after playing so many regular season games plus post season this year.

I say we healthy-scratch him for the rest of the season to give him an extra week off which will pay huge dividends for us in the first round at least.

It would be great if he comes back another year. He's a solid guy to have. The current 2 million contract sounds right for him. People offering less need to get real.

I would like to reduce his minutes though. Next year he would preferably be on the 3rd pairing and can move into the top-four seamlessly if needed.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - _______

______ - Salo

Ballard moved, probably one of Gragnani, Connautton, Rome on the 3rd pair. Hoping we find a solid UFA defenceman to play with Edler on the right side or get a good-young, top-four right-hander in a trade.

The only reason Salo isn't worth more is because of his lack of health over the years. Considering we've had him for a huge portion of this season, the 2m salary is a steal. If we resign him again for 2m I will not be unhappy. If there was any way Gillis can get him for even less, I'd be thrilled.

Salo will be looking for a raise. I bet someone's willing to give him a 1 year 4 million at UFA. Not sure whether that fits into Gillis' cap plan. I'd think that he'd be re-signed before July 1 if he were to stay in Van though.

I love Sami, but am ready to move on should some other R handed top 4 option become available.

Reliability, thats what defence is all about and Sami has it in bucket loads. He's a calming influence and an inspiration of how to play the right way in this game.

He is one of my favourite players and we probably won't really appreciate just how good he is until he is unavailable. We saw what a few weeks without him was like...............we are not ready to let Sami go yet and I like that he wants to keep going. In another year or two he will have straightened Gragnani and Tanev out and he will leave us with a wonderful legacy.

While I appreciate he will want to go home to Finland I would really like to see him in Chicago coaching the young defenders when he finally decides to call it a day.

I hope we do win the SC this year or next as it will be a great reward for Sami and all he has been through and done for us.......................SAM....I!

At this point in Canuck development Salo's cost is not as important as to whether a rookie should get his icetime or not. Tanev, MAG, K.Conn and Sauve are all knocking at the door. That doesn't even mention the college kids. Your roster limits do not allow keeping a player as a jesture. No doubt that Salo is currently a better player than those I mentioned but young players need ice to climb into the NHL.

MG might consider Salo re-upping as a blessing in disguise if his depth chart points to another player he wants to draft, trade for or sign as a UFA (that Pred D-man that was talked about :) ) Many options out there so we cannot assume anything.

Archived